Apr 01, 2006, 10:47 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

RC Kart pics as requested

The kit was called Lil' Zipper produced by Go N' Play. The company is no longer around. I did find the company that made the tires for it (just by chance).

With the right tooling the kit could probably be reproduced. The frame was made with tubular steel and did use vacuum forming for the seat, side pods and front number panel (not shown).

The engine is a .21. I replaced the original tank with a Kyosho because the seal for the lid was loose (and there was no way to get a replacement).

When I spoke with the guy who sold the tires the prototype was built here and then sent overseas to save money on production.

I like the Kart also because it is kind of a novelty just like the RC bikes.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks, I can see this being my next project, could you please post the :

wheel base
front/rear rim sizes
front/rear width
how tall is the driver (standing up)?

Thanks again for posting the pics.......man that thing is cool ....21 motor .
Apr 01, 2006, 12:01 PM
Thread OP

Dimensions

I'll take a few more pics:

Front/R.L. Side/Rear/Top/Bottom view

The figurine was made from a wire armature and then coated with
flexible foam to fill out the body

In the next pics I'll mark them with dimsions on the photos.

Not sure how the process was done for the rims. I'll take pics of them for reference.

Brakes are similar to the bikes. Rotor being pinched by cam action lever.

Anything else you think might be helpful?
Apr 01, 2006, 12:03 PM
Thread OP

owners manual

I could also photocopy the owners manual and mail or fax it to you
Apr 01, 2006, 01:13 PM
That is wayyyy to kewl!!!! I always wondered why noone ever made a hobby grade RC go cart......I guess someone did!!! Im with pilot....that would be fun to recreate!
Apr 01, 2006, 01:57 PM
I am pretty sure kyosho made a kart.

found a pic on google.

Apr 01, 2006, 02:19 PM
very nice...very scale
Apr 01, 2006, 03:00 PM
wow that thing is awesome. makes me wanna finish my rc pocket bike.
Apr 01, 2006, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamracing

Not sure how the process was done for the rims. I'll take pics of them for reference.

If you post pics with the dimensions i asked for that would be a HUGE help to me........And maybe some close ups of the brakes, wheel hubs @ axles, no dimensions needed just pics.......THANKS for everything .
Apr 01, 2006, 06:15 PM
Thread OP

Kyosho Kart

I believe the Kyosho Kart is discontinued.
It's also a smaller scale with a .10 engine.
My LHS sold one and was told the guy wrecked it first time out.

With the popularity of full size Kart racing I'm really surprised the RC
version hasn't followed. But then again who knows what the next class
of racing will be?

The 1/18 scale has become popular - who knew that would ever take off?
Everything goes in cycles I guess.

The guy who sold me the spare tires said he and his son had the Lil Zipper Kart. He remembers them being very fast (50 or 60) but also very easy to damage because of the nature of the thing. Not very strong frame wise.
I wonder what engine he was running. I think the translation to MPH on the box was something around 30 or 35. The power to weight ratio is similar to the RC bikes, I suppose. It's just a frame, gas tank and engine for the most part.
Apr 01, 2006, 06:24 PM
Quote:
I believe the Kyosho Kart is discontinued.
It's also a smaller scale with a .10 engine.
My LHS sold one and was told the guy wrecked it first time out.

With the popularity of full size Kart racing I'm really surprised the RC
version hasn't followed. But then again who knows what the next class
of racing will be?

The 1/18 scale has become popular - who knew that would ever take off?
Everything goes in cycles I guess.

The guy who sold me the spare tires said he and his son had the Lil Zipper Kart. He remembers them being very fast (50 or 60) but also very easy to damage because of the nature of the thing. Not very strong frame wise.
I wonder what engine he was running. I think the translation to MPH on the box was something around 30 or 35. The power to weight ratio is similar to the RC bikes, I suppose. It's just a frame, gas tank and engine for the most part.
yes it is has been for years now. I have one that still is in good shape and have been looking for a nother os 10 to place on the other side.I all so ran IKF for years in the c open class then went into endureo karts with twin mac 91,s and oil gear box. If you get tired of the cart let me know
Apr 01, 2006, 09:11 PM
Thread OP

glory days

When I ran Karts I started with 4 stroke gas, then converted the jets for running methanol, then switched to 2 stroke (Yamaha KT100cc class).

The local track for Karts is 75-80 which is located at corner of Route 75 and 80 in Maryland. It also featured a 1/4 mile drag strip which has a long running history since the 60's. I think the kart track has been there since the early 70's or maybe earlier.

But like a lot of motorsports locations they have lost the batttle to the ever increasing demand to build new homes. The owner of land is up there in years and has dealing with health issues. Guess he felt it was time to sell all things considered. It was a landmark for drag racing and karts for what seems like forever.

With Karting in my past don't think I'll ever part with this kit.

I think I saw another kit a while ago, printed a photo but since then I can't recall the site and have lost the picture. I do remember the machine work was incredible. It might even have had hydraulic brakes and maybe was a bigger scale. Might have been somewhere in California or Europe.
Apr 01, 2006, 09:42 PM
Thread OP

Hmmmmm.....

Wonder what an RC Kart would be like with a 23cc engine like the 1/5 scale cars......

OK - somebody slap me in the back of the head. I was dreaming again.

But then again it never hurts to expand the horizon of imagination. That's what dreaming is all about.
Apr 02, 2006, 05:01 AM
[QUOTE=kamracing] then switched to 2 stroke (Yamaha KT100cc class).I have one of those motors.I bought it to put in one of my minibikes.But i didn't know how to set up the hortsman wet clutch.Then had to buy a starter so i kinda gave up on it.It would have been nice to see what that bike would do with that motor in it.
Apr 09, 2006, 05:04 PM
Quote:

PLEASE don't forget about the pics . You got me hooked on this idea and now I MUST HAVE ONE.....No rush...Just please please please don't forget .

Quick Reply