FSW Envy - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 27, 2006, 10:03 PM
Discussion

FSW Envy

All of the talk about Raptors and Alulas has made me want try one of these badboys myself. Having just set up a CNC foamcutter I came across the site of Alain Zutter a Frenchman that distributes files for use with CNC software. One of his plans is a tribute to the Alula, it is to be built as a SAL like the original. I compete in DLG and have a few planes for that but wanted to try it as slick little sloper. I built it up to be extra beefy as our LZs are mostly solid Basalt. Came in at 13.3oz with a 36" span.

I took today off to celebrate my B-day and the slope rewarded me and my flying buddies with bluebird day. Got some video of my friend wringing out what I think we are calling "Le Bird" on it's maiden.

"Le Bird" Maiden flight 3-27-06 (4 min 8 sec)

Here's a pic:
Last edited by Sleedo; Oct 12, 2010 at 06:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2006, 10:10 PM
COOL!!!!!!!! That thing HAULS!!!!!
Mar 27, 2006, 10:18 PM
Piscine Promulgator
That thing flies nice!

That's not a half-bad slope you've got there at all. Will have to come out to Fairfield someday, one of my ancestors helped found the town (Francis Nichols). We'll foam it up!

Steve
Latest blog entry: Of Fish, France, FPV, and Fun!
Mar 27, 2006, 10:18 PM
Right?!!!!

Can't tell you how psyched I was with how it flew. If you only knew how little experience I have with wings you'd say I stepped in it big time. I guessed at the CG, total TLAR.
Mar 27, 2006, 10:21 PM
Steve, don't come to Ffld for the slope, ain't there-about an hours drive but come on out, we're very foam freindly out here.

EB
ps. got vid of the Toons also, will post man'ana
Mar 27, 2006, 11:15 PM
Model Bender
Had the files on the pc for a while now & been meaning to cut the wings out.. looks like a great flyer!

How did you make it stronger? Are the 2 spars enough to keep the wing stiff?
Mar 28, 2006, 12:11 AM
It could happen...
Nice plane Sleedo...looks like a good flyer to boot.
Mar 28, 2006, 12:14 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
that thing hauls butt...
Mar 28, 2006, 01:44 AM
Radio Up Flyboy!

Link Please to Alan Zutter's site

Sleedo,
I too have a CNC foam cutter---flying season is just around the corner. any chance you could direct me to the Alan Zutter site?

thanks,
flynfrog
Mar 28, 2006, 07:44 AM
Here's the link: http://eppconcept.free.fr/index.php?op=edito

Unless you speak french you'll have to spend some time with the Google translator to figure out where things are. You need to register to download and the files are listed as # TÚlÚchargements in the left frame. Let us know if you build one.

I built mine with scraps of 3mm flat carbon spars that were salvaged from my indoor foamies and lots of Extreme Tape. Two shorter spars on the bottom and one long one almost to the tips CA'd in the top of the wing. It is almost as stiff as my HP.

Need to work on attaching the tail better and rip the CRAP Feather RX out. I knew better with that RX but I was in a rush and it was all I had in the drawer. This plane is way too fast to be taking hits all of the time. If you listen to the audio in the video you can hear Dennis say "woops, too far". Range was less than 200yds.

EB
Mar 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
Oh la la, Viva Le Bird! Sweeet.....
Apr 05, 2006, 03:42 PM
Hello,

My personal site is here : http://alain.zutter.free.fr
Here , you can find many informations about my flying wings ( airfoils sections , setup .....)

AZ
Apr 05, 2006, 06:01 PM
The End
Cool, gonna make one!
Last edited by THend; Apr 05, 2006 at 06:11 PM.
Apr 05, 2006, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by az2004
Hello,

My personal site is here : http://alain.zutter.free.fr
Here , you can find many informations about my flying wings ( airfoils sections , setup .....)

AZ
Alain, glad to see you found our thread featuring your design! I have been so impressed with the CNC files from your site that I want to build every one. I don't have enough EPP though. Thank you so much for sharing with us and please keep in touch. By the way an AZ2005 is next on my list to build.

Sleedo