Apr 30, 2006, 02:19 PM
www.rcfoam.com
Hey everyone, I downloaded the plans last night and already im a about an hour away from completion. great plane chara!

So far the the wings are built from 5mm RCF foam and the rest of standard 6mm depron. I'm also planning on useing the fiegao brussless motor/ 3s lipo combo for a power system.

I'll tell you how the flights go when its finished

-sean-
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2006, 03:15 PM
sean
sure makes a great looking two tone !!!!! nice work.

jer
May 01, 2006, 06:57 AM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
sean that is looking GREAT! all blue wings with white fuse looks really neat!
I hope you'll have great fun and we get to hear a successful maiden report!

greetings
chara

PS: is there a reason why you cut off the tips of the elevator? Im just curious
Last edited by chara; May 01, 2006 at 12:10 PM.
May 01, 2006, 01:44 PM
www.rcfoam.com
Oh, the printer settings on my computer butchered some of the edges for the tail and rather than fussing with the computer I decided to simply cut it strait for simplicity.

But, yeah I now have all of the elctronics and power system installed for a total weight of 6.8 oz. Hopefully the maiden will be soon!
May 02, 2006, 01:42 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Bobsean,

Tell me more about the RCFoam. I started a thread asking for info on this stuff. Do you have to bake this stuff in an oven or can you just go ahead , cut and build a profile plane just like using depron or fff. How does it compare to the depron other than being 5mm vs. 6mm. BTW, That Bipie looks sweet I too love the two-tone foam. Yours is the first plane I have seen with the RCFoam. Very cool. Congrats.

Hawk
May 02, 2006, 02:13 PM
www.rcfoam.com
Well the RCF comes in a roll from the factory so it has roughly 2 to 3 degrees of curvature. I guess that this would make it difficult to build a profile plane with... But, I experiemented with cutting out profile peices and placing them in the oven to try to remove the curvature. I placed the peices in the oven with the warped side up and When the oven got to around 180 to 190 the pieces flattened out. It was kind of tricky though because if you left the pices in for just a second to long the began to curl in the corners and curve in the opposite direction..

But, I enjoy using the heat gun to warp the foam to my own likeing. This is what i did for the wings on the "Bipie".

As for comparison with the depron, both are xps and basically have the same cell structure. They both have similar durability and strength capabilities. The RCF is a tad heavier/ denser than depron and has one glossy side. Other than that they are very similar.

Hopefully this was the kind of information that you were looking for!

-sean-
May 02, 2006, 04:35 PM
Crash Master
OK, That's the stuff I have a little of.... It works well, if you select how you are cutting the pieces, but you have to plan ahead I haven't tried to flatten it, just worked around it. A guy in Evansville, IN sells it in big sheets, as well as Depron. It is a little denser, but nice stuff!
May 02, 2006, 10:56 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Bobsean, any chance of making some kits for us? I'm just not one to start cutting my own foam yet.
May 03, 2006, 02:23 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Is there a way to get a set of the ver3 plans in a full page setup?

Hey Rob, I'll cut out a second one while I am at it if I can get the plans. Do you mind Bluecor? Adventure Hobbies has some depron.
Last edited by TeamTEOR; May 03, 2006 at 02:30 AM.
May 03, 2006, 06:44 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
sean,

That is just what I needed to know. Thank you very much.

Hawk
May 03, 2006, 10:01 AM
Got more toys than my kid
Looking to build a "small-quarters" 3D flyer, and this little guy has caught my eye. I prefer biplanes since it keeps the speed down, and the addition of trusses prevents wing-warping and flex. I always figured that every flattie wants to be a bipe.

Like you guys, I've had random results with roll-rates on biplanes. The main problem is that the ailerons are not in the prop-blast like they are in a monowing. Some biplanes have the thrust line closer to the lower wing, so you can get away with putting ailerons on just that wing. The Bipie has the thrust-line right down the middle in true 3D-fashion, and with such a large separation, neither wing is clsoe to the prop-blast.

But that stabilizer is.

I think I'll build a Bipie, but instead of adding the weight and drag of 4-wing ailerons, I'm going to split the elevator. Tail-elevons! It may be an absolute failuer, but that's what's so great about throwing together an airplane with flat foam.

While I secure some building materials, maybe someone else can add a tail-servo and post their results. Otherwise, I'll let you know it goes!
May 03, 2006, 05:18 PM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
macr0t0r

split elevator is a nice idea. should be worth a try although I suspect that they wont work very well. you have to overcome the roll damping of two pretty large wings. you would have to redesign the tail as well since there would be only a small hinge line per elevon left (-> bending moments).

the original plans for Bipie are set up for two relatively wide fuselage stiffeners. they actually displace a good part of the prop wash towards the wingtips and over the lower ailerons thus increasing their effectiveness. however 4 aileron setup is the way to go (IMHO). weight increase is only about 3g with the suggested method.

whatever you decide, good luck and let us know how it works...

greetings
chara
May 03, 2006, 05:29 PM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
Is there a way to get a set of the ver3 plans in a full page setup?
Sure there is! here you go... nontiled updated plans. free to use and distribute for a non commerial purposes!
greetings
chara
May 03, 2006, 05:43 PM
Got more toys than my kid
Planned modifications:
1. Move back the tail so that the rudder is behind the elevator. The elevator will no longer require the cutout.

2. Slightly increase the stabilizer span. Just a hair. Don't want it to look like a tandem.

3. Reduce the chord of the wings. The thick wings don't add much lift, but do add a lot of resistance to being rolled.

That should help things. And if it doesn't work, I'll just cut out some ailerons and go with it! This is just an experiment. The intent is to make a maneuverable featherweight for indoor acrobats.
May 03, 2006, 06:11 PM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r
Planned modifications:
1. Move back the tail so that the rudder is behind the elevator. The elevator will no longer require the cutout.

2. Slightly increase the stabilizer span. Just a hair. Don't want it to look like a tandem.

3. Reduce the chord of the wings. The thick wings don't add much lift, but do add a lot of resistance to being rolled.

That should help things. And if it doesn't work, I'll just cut out some ailerons and go with it! This is just an experiment. The intent is to make a maneuverable featherweight for indoor acrobats.
Good idea. I love experiments! keep us updated how it works please. Are you going to shrink it in size also?

Quick Reply