Sep 02, 2021, 09:06 AM
Here's mine built from the RCM Plans, 140" span, 40 lbs., Roto 85 four Stoke power. Flew it a few times, still sorting it out.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2021, 11:36 AM
UC/RC Flyer

Aeronca

Hey Tony! Nice! Thatís a larger than 1/4 scale. Where do you fly in RC. If it was RCM it was a scratch build, I met a RCer at the Thunderbird RC field, he didnít have the Champ that day, overheard me talking about Aeroncas. He took the Gillows Champ 85 and enlarged the plans to a 112 in wing span, had the cowling in his station wagon, if that Champ was anything like that Cowling it must have been a nice build.
Sep 25, 2021, 06:33 PM
UC/RC Flyer

AA Imdustries

Iíve been working on the wings AA Industries Champ1/4 scale, a little disappointing lots to cut and fit, process, glued the wing tip together, the Aileron Bay needs to be gusseted, lots of sanding on the agenda, I knew my Covid mask would come in handy.
Sep 25, 2021, 10:44 PM
How is the wing configured? The Nitro's model has a three piece so that the center section can be left in place. The struts are left on the wing panels so has a quick setup.
Sep 26, 2021, 12:31 PM
UC/RC Flyer

AA industries

AA5BY, itís configured in 3 pieces, the center section has two aluminum tubes, and the wings plug into the tubes using dowel hard wood. The plans show a single servo with a wire going to the Ailerions. I am not going that route, I plan on two servos using a Y cord. The center section is mostly comprised of poplar and hard wood. And attached with four screws, metal type and not included in the kit. Also the kit plan shows a single strut, I Hurd of wing failures on this configuration. I ordered a set of struts from Balsa USA, I wanted Spruce but they use Bass Wood. I have a set for my Cub, also Planning on the jury struts to be attached. Beefing up the area, with ply. Also you can remove the center section, I like that feature. Also the tip rib on each wing is junk, I made new tip ribs out of ply, and configuring the spruce, spars to end into the wing tip, it is designed to control tip stalls, the way I will configure wing removal is pretty straight forward should take four machine screws on each panel, and removal of the Aileron plug, still brain storming that attachment!
Sep 29, 2021, 09:43 PM
UC/RC Flyer
I hope I answered your question, I am still building on the wings, I will start the center section in about a month. Just finishing up the detail, and the ailerons installing hinges and control installations for the servos, running control wiring, I boxed in the main forward spar, and mounted the strut blind nuts. The jury struts will wait until I get the wings and fuselage mated .
Sep 29, 2021, 11:46 PM
Yes... what you described is the same scheme as mine has. Mine is a Nitro Models ARF.

It is a very docile plane but nevertheless fun to fly, especially doing touch n goes as it has a very shallow glide slope that needs no flair.
Sep 30, 2021, 03:49 PM
UC/RC Flyer

AA Industries

AA5BY, a nitro? Thatís one I never Hurd of, but itís configured like the AA Industries. That really interesting. One of our Buzzards flew west, and the family put all his model stuff up for Sale, he had a Pilot 1/4 scale Champ ARF, I bought it and reboxed it, never flew it, I am pretty sure it was setup for Electric Power, no Manual was with the kit persay. My first electric was the 15E Champ, it was nice had scale landing gear, and several short comings in the design. Over the years Iíve repaired it and flew it, something always broke. The wings slid on to a tube, looked like carbon fiber, I thought about using that on the AA Industries but nobody stocks it in that size, you find carbon fiber tubing but itís small stuff.
Sep 30, 2021, 08:10 PM
Nitro Models was an importer for mostly China built models (I'm guessing). Some of it was good and some not so much. There was no service for any replacement parts. The trade off... was it was inexpensive.

Some called them builders ARFs because they usually could be made better by some effort. For example the heavy tail planes I mentioned that were not used.

Mine also has a gawd awful graphics scheme.... visible... but ugly. I've nicknamed my plane the circus clown.
Oct 02, 2021, 08:10 AM
UC/RC Flyer

ARF kits

Okay I think I know who your talking about, a hobby shop in Nederland Texas sells some Chinese ARFs 1/3 scale L-19 BirdDog, and several others, donít recall the web site right now, about 5 years ago I stopped by. The shop is 3 Sealand containers. Full of kits. Very expensive ARFs but they are not really as advertised. It would take a lot of work to get any of the planes flyable. They look great as static, like the Karabo was one of the ARFs 1/3 scale came in 4 boxes. But you had to order it. With a down payment. Picture a complete aircraft with no controls or equipment. I didnít even see a hatch for say to install what would be needed, any way I passed on buying anything.
Oct 14, 2021, 08:17 PM
Don't buy the chinese junk. These are very easy kits to build using available plans or three views! If you've built a Sig Cub then an 'Airknocker' could be built in a similar fashion. Just be sure to build out the cabin in spruce with some strategically placed gussets. Brass tube works great as receivers for music wire stubs attached to the spars. A functioning cabin door allows access to secure a couple of nylon bolts to the wing root at the cabin wing root inner face. Struts functional.
Oct 15, 2021, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP
Don't buy the chinese junk. These are very easy kits to build using available plans or three views! If you've built a Sig Cub then an 'Airknocker' could be built in a similar fashion. Just be sure to build out the cabin in spruce with some strategically placed gussets. Brass tube works great as receivers for music wire stubs attached to the spars. A functioning cabin door allows access to secure a couple of nylon bolts to the wing root at the cabin wing root inner face. Struts functional.
The 1/4 Champ from Nitro's Models required cabin support as the model would easily twist. Several diagonal braces on bulkheads did the trick. IIR, some 1/8 sq bruce sticks were used.
Oct 16, 2021, 11:39 AM
AA Industries, Bud Nosen, does not sell kits anymore, only sell balsa and ply. Plans for Nosen Champ are on Outerzone.
Oct 17, 2021, 10:13 AM
RcAiir.com
I sell the 33% Scale Aeronca Champ 7AC kit .

RcAiir.com

Quick Reply