Mar 23, 2006, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

all lost:modified LongShot vs Blaster

my friend modified a Longshot at ten different parts. the significant modification is to make a all move elevator for it.
He makes a v-mount and also make airfoil in elevator.
in maiden flight, everything in LS is OK, can not find out big diferrence between standard one and modified one. All move elevator works well. After about ten testing launch, we heard a big noise from rear , and find out that the LS can not go up straight. And we find there is a crack in elevator near the part connecting v-mout. there is fiber glass to strengthen it already.
we stop and fix it and adjust the pull-pull string. and fly again. the result is we plant a longshot in field.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2006, 11:47 PM
I notice that the blaster tailbooms have two rings of what looks like kevlar located near the point where the v-mount fits on the tailboom and near the rudder slot. Probably important structurally. My Salsa tailfeathers seemed to me to give more solid control than my blasters full flying stab. Your repair shouldn't be too hard.
Your aileron control on the blaster is very interesting. My three blasters have required considerable nose weight. Did you make yours that way to decrease nose weight? how much nose weight did your blaster need? What servos are you using?
Mar 24, 2006, 12:07 AM
My blaster broke the same way. I cut the rudder slot as far forward as the flying stab would allow then used medium hard balsa extend from the end of the fin to the carbon fuselage boom and into the boom about a half inch on each side of the fin. The extenders must be rounded to fit snugly into the boom end and I rounded them to match the outside wall of the boom.To strengthen the area I made a hole in the fin above and below the boom and a hole above and below the balsa extender and tied Kevlar thread through them. Be careful with the front of the rudder slot. It should be smooth and round not jagged. I did the last mm of mine with fine sandpaper. If you like I could show you.
Mar 24, 2006, 03:41 AM
Thread OP
i put four servos in fuselage in order to reduce lead weight in nose. about 2 ore 3 g in nose will be very nice. but in my test flight, i do not need to add weight,just trim elevator, i can fly well.
There is three Kevlar ring in boom, i also think it is very important to prevent a fatal crash to boom.
i use four Futaba 3108 servos. it is a very good and powerful servo, center and response are good. strongly recommand. 7.5 g each one.
the link of the aileron gives me very solid control. And i can easily take the wing off or put the wing on in few seconds in the flying field.
my next Blater will make some improvement in fin area. I think if i make a layer of carbon around the tube in fin area before glue the fin, it will avoid the similar accident.
Mar 24, 2006, 07:24 AM
Fin mod. Use two 1" pieces of the carbon stock, supplied in the kit, and ca them inside the boom. These should evtend 1/2" ln front of, and behind, the LE of the fin.

Dwain
Mar 25, 2006, 02:48 AM
Got Vandal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaokun Deng
my next Blater will make some improvement in fin area. I think if i make a layer of carbon around the tube in fin area before glue the fin, it will avoid the similar accident.
Next time, DON'T cut or notch the boom! just two cuts in the fin, and slide it onto the unmolested boom, and ca/glass tape. I don't know why people cut the boom, as it often makes it break or split just where yours did. I know it's in the instructions and elsewhere, but it's just not a good idea.

Geoff(never slots his booms) Jones

Quick Reply