Mar 23, 2006, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

N-Am 12v power supplies, Euro outlets

To any of you who have travelled to euro competitions etc, is it safe to take our typical N-Am 12v power supplies used for charging (110vAC-in, 12.x vDC-out) & attempt to plug them into 200-odd volt euro outlets using those adapter plugs? I recall there may be issues with higher amp draw, or different Hz operating frequencies (or maybe that was a UK specific thing). And of course the normal horror stories of 110v appliances going poof despite the 'proper' adapter plug. I know the safer option is charging off 12v DC cells but (thinking of Romainia here) Im not sure what the exact battery supply situation will be like yet. Seems to be kind of up in the air at this point.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2006, 03:26 PM
I think Romania is on 220V 50 cycle same as most of Europe. Be aware 110V equipment pluged into 220V will go poof. Check the documentation that came with the equipment, some can work on both voltages, some have a switch to select voltage,some have to be rewired inside and some will only work on 110V. Take a 220V to 110V step down tranformer with you to be on the safe side, they are available in most electronic stores. Can you use our 72Mhz stuff there?
Mar 23, 2006, 04:12 PM
f5b-uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman
but (thinking of Romainia here) Im not sure what the exact battery supply situation will be like yet. Seems to be kind of up in the air at this point.
I think you're worrying about nothing. The organisers say
CAR BATTERIES FOR FIELD CHARGERS: we shall agree with local car dealers upon the price of car battery and this info will be posted no later than June the 1st. in info 2
Also, you can use the battery in the car you hire...unless you plan to take everything on public transport.
Mike
Mar 23, 2006, 04:16 PM
ptxman,

Most likely you will need a step down transformer to be able to use your power supply. It depends on which power supply you have

Chuck
Mar 23, 2006, 04:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy fly
Can you use our 72Mhz stuff there?
Dont think so, at least not according to this.

http://www.frmd.ro/frecvente.pdf
Mar 23, 2006, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale
I think you're worrying about nothing. The organisers say
CAR BATTERIES FOR FIELD CHARGERS: we shall agree with local car dealers upon the price of car battery and this info will be posted no later than June the 1st Mike
You're probably right Mike. From our perspective its a kind of a saw off when it comes to packing gear though. In York we obtained use of euro 220v 12v chargers through Dave. We topped up the 12v auto cells which were similarly supplied/rented by the WC organizers. We then charged the drive packs,Tx & Rx etc & it all worked out sharing between team members. We have managed to source some of these euro 220v chargers again, the issue is they are not exactly light when it comes to packing them on air luggage. Thats why I was interested in just bringing the 12v power supply. It plugs in the hotel wall outlet, feeds multi-chargers & frees up the requirement of lugging both the auto cells around. But I dont think I trust that option anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale
Also, you can use the battery in the car you hire...
Mike
We found it more convenient to drink beer in a dry pub than fiddle with booster cables under the hood of a rental car in the rain

Thanks for the info. Im sure it will all work out.
Mar 23, 2006, 05:47 PM
The first thing I would do on arriving to Romania is contact a bus or truck repair place and tell them you want to rent/ buy a large bus battery and bring it back every night to put it on charge. Then buy a 4 wheel pull cart and at the end of the meet return the battery and trade for some beer and cheers.
Mar 23, 2006, 06:23 PM
ptxman,

The USA F5B team use battery chargers to charge the 12v car battery in hotel rooms from Soneil. They have models that work on 110 and 220 volts by moving a small switch. We use one that charges at 6 amps. By the way Soneil is a Canadian company. The chargers are based on a switching power supply and do not have a heavy transformer so they are easy to travel with.

I use the Soneil to charge my charging battery at home all the time.

http://www.soneil.com/

Chuck
Last edited by rcelectfly; Mar 23, 2006 at 06:31 PM.
Mar 23, 2006, 10:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectfly
By the way Soneil is a Canadian company. The chargers are based on a switching power supply and do not have a heavy transformer so they are easy to travel with. Chuck
Good score Chuck! I owe yah a Labatts, eh?
Mar 24, 2006, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman
Good score Chuck! I owe yah a Labatts, eh?
OK, I'll go for that.

Chuck

Quick Reply