My First EDF Which one... - RC Groups
Jun 28, 2001, 11:41 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...

My First EDF Which one...

I am about to pruchase my first EDF kit...any recommendations?
I have thought about the microA10 or the Kyosho F-16. I also like the Viking kit from EAM. I plan on flying it in the field infront of my house.

I have not flow for several years, but used to fly regularly and have a Zagi to recrash my skills.

Thanks
Kirby
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2001, 12:07 AM
Kirby,
I'm not an EDF guy, but I have seen 3 examples of the Kyosho T33 fly, totally stock, and they all flew well. Easy hand launch, loop from level flight etc..

I have read that the F16 does not fly as well and, I believe, is no longer made.

Hope this helps
Dave
Jun 29, 2001, 12:57 AM
The comet is on sale for US$ 99.00 I got one of those but haven't flown it yet. You still need two Speed 480BB RACE motors and Graupner impellar and ESC..
Jun 29, 2001, 01:23 AM
EDF all the way!
Go with the T-33 from Kyosho. Only $99.00 with fan and motor.
Good Luck!
Jun 29, 2001, 01:37 AM
I have been looking at getting my first Ducted Fan airplane.

I fly a Kyosho Ferias alot right now, so I may consider the T33 since I am very pleased with the design and quality of the Kyosho product I already have.

I have also looked at this one: [url = http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/1997/escream.htm ]The BGM Electro-Screamer.[/url]

It seems to be the more logical choice for a first ducted fan.

Its about $125 for plane, fan and motor, plus it looks to be a great model. Looks like it would be the easiest to rebuild in the event of a crash. I like the way the drive unit mounts above the plane, this gives it less of a chance of being broken by a less than perfect landing. I would be willing to bet that it is more stable than the T33. But that is just my humble opinion.

[This message has been edited by planematt (edited 06-29-2001).]
Jun 29, 2001, 02:43 AM
I would give some thought to your second one too. If you get the right set up, you can move onto the second EDF with a minimum of additional expendature.

This is sort of like getting your first radio; a four channel is cheaper initially, but a six channel offers more flexiblity over the long run so really ends up costing less, but with a higher initial investment.

Just some food for thought. (Psst, if you're thinking about getting into twins, I'd recommend the Wemo Mini 480 size. I can't say why right now, you'll have to take my word for it.)

For your first EDF, the T-33 is hard to beat.
Daren

[This message has been edited by Daren (edited 06-29-2001).]
Jun 29, 2001, 08:59 AM
Ready for a Vacation!
Take a look at the Flash E-74 from either Tim McDonough (www.tim.mcdonough.net) or EAM (www.eam.net). Its more expensive, but I think its worth every penny. My driveout cost was $435 w/o receiver. Its $260 for the kit w/motor and fan, $42 for the esc, about $50 for the battery, and it takes three servos. I now have 4 flights on mine and I'm VERY impressed with the performance, and with 2000NiMH cells you can 6 minutes of full power flying. If you have the extra $ go for the Flash. I'm sure a couple of others will chime in about the Flash.
Andrew
Jun 30, 2001, 02:42 AM
thanks for the suggestions. I have fell in love with the A10 Mini from KA models. www.kamodels.com.

The sight says "a novice can fly it". I have some flying expierience, but it has been a while.

THanks for your help
Kirby
Jun 30, 2001, 02:43 AM
SOrry the question about the A10 was ...

Good or bad idea?