to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2006, 07:09 PM
JC-

Very nice build thread. Your attention to detail shines through. Looks like a winner. I need to order up some more depron. I would like to build this one for sure! I'll buy your plan when you finalize it.

-Chris
Mar 22, 2006, 08:41 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Wow...only 6 OZs???
Mar 23, 2006, 10:19 PM
Foam Flyer

Plus or minus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirNerd
Wow...only 6 OZs???
My scale is not accurate to the gram, but it reads 6-ounces.

JC
Mar 23, 2006, 10:20 PM
Foam Flyer

Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRC
JC-

Very nice build thread. Your attention to detail shines through. Looks like a winner. I need to order up some more depron. I would like to build this one for sure! I'll buy your plan when you finalize it.

-Chris
Cool, I'll let you know when the plans are ready.

JC
Mar 23, 2006, 10:29 PM
Can't wait til you maiden it with pic and a vid!
Mar 25, 2006, 11:23 AM
Foam Flyer

Test flight and video of Perfexion!!!

I flew the second prototype yesterday and we got some video. It flies great, but I'll be making a couple of changes. It is a little nose heavy as you can probably see in the video. Also, I need to use 2 mm CF rod to join the elevator halves. The 1.5mm rod is flexing too much and causing assymmetric forces.

Also, during the translation from CAD format to PDF for printing, the plans somehow grew the wingspan 1.5 inches to 27.5 inches. I didn't realize it until I got the airplane finished. I'll have to find out how to get the plans to print to 1:1 scale.

Other than that, it is a great flying foamie!

Here is the video (please right click and "save as"):

http://www.rippinfoamies.com/public/..._Perfexion.MPG

Enjoy!

JC

Plans coming soon to www.RippinFoamies.com
Last edited by rc4metoo; Mar 25, 2006 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typos!
Mar 28, 2006, 01:48 PM
Foam Flyer

Beta-builders wanted

Plans are cleaned up and ready for those interested.

Thanks,

JC

Chief 3D Pilot
RippinFoamies.com
Last edited by rc4metoo; Mar 31, 2006 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Beta-building is done. Design is ready.
Mar 28, 2006, 04:05 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Wow she looks very nice in the air.

I cannot wait!

Chris
Apr 20, 2006, 07:04 AM
International flyer
Waouh ! Great thread it is ! I'm really impressed by the way you're building your planes ! really efficient.

TeX
Sep 02, 2006, 11:54 PM

Perfexion

Attached are pictures of my finished Perfexion. Just under 6 oz. w/ Axi 2204 , CC 10 ESC and TP 2s 480 pack. I used .5 mm flat carbon on the leading edges and 1mm cross bracing bracing on the wings and 1mm pushrods. I added 3mm depron stiffeners in the tail which run to the rear of the stab - made the tail significantly stiffer , I think, with virtually no weight added.

Plans were easy to build from and the parts fit. The plane built straight and John's suggestions for building the fuse worked well.

Have flown it three flights indoors - flies well , although I have to remember to stay out of the rudder - the fuse has a great deal of side area and knife edge is pretty easy with very little rudder. Haven't played with the balance at all yet , but will get more stick time next week. The Hover , upright and inverted harriers , and rolling circles went well , with some wing rock in upright harrier

All in all , a fun build , good design that builds straight , flies well , and is something different.

John , how about a monoplane ?

Dorin Luck
Sep 03, 2006, 09:15 PM
Foam Flyer

Congrats on the successful maiden flight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorjes
with some wing rock in upright harrier

John , how about a monoplane ?

Dorin Luck
Dorin,

Glad that you are enjoying your PID! Those new 480 prolites are really the ticket to a six ounce or less airframe. The wing rock is a mystery since the prototypes had little tendency to rock in upright harriers. I think that the cause may be your elevator stiffeners. In high-alpha they will put the fin/rudder in turbulent air. Wing rock is mostly cause by turbulent air over the fin/rudder resulting in yaw instability and rocking. Most designers will move the elevator forward to cure this. I even built a T-tail foamie once to prove this concept - it had a very stable harrier but torque rolls were uncontrollable!

I'm going to stick with biplanes - I fly in a fairly small fieldhouse and the light bipes let you do everything in the space of a half-court.

How 'bout building the outdoor version now?

Best regards,

JC
www.rippinfoamies.com
Sep 03, 2006, 11:29 PM
I'll play with the balance a bit at our indoor flying next Thursday - I suspect the balance can be moved back a bit. I may not have found the sweet spot for upright harrier yet. I'll let you know.

Thanks , Dorin
Sep 04, 2006, 05:41 AM
Great Thread. You Did great job. Excellent, A true craftsman. Iím looking for some small plane to do over the winter.
Dec 01, 2006, 10:09 PM
I've got a lot more stick time on the Perfexion , and this is a really good flying foamie. I moved the CG back to around 3" from from the leading edge of the top wing , and I think it flys better with the Cg back. This plane is dead solid in high alpha knife edge , and inverted harriers are super. Rolling circles are very smooth. This plane has huge rudder , and it is easy to pull too much rudder. I've backed off the rudder throw and still have way more than I need. I've been very satisfied with the durability of the plane. Not a lot of roll couple for a bipe. Nice plane , and a nice plan to build from.

Dorin Luck