Perfexion Build Along Thread - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 19, 2006, 08:36 PM
Foam Flyer
Build Log

Perfexion Build Along Thread

Hello fellow foam 3D-ers,

I would like to do a build along thread for my new design www.RippinFoamies.com full-fuselage indoor 3D bipe that I call the Perfexion. I have pioneered some novel construction techniques that I would like to share. Enjoy!

I'm not a kit builder of foamies. I would rather buy $60 of foam and make a dozen foamies. This winter I have completed 8 foamies and this will be nine.

The Perfexion is my newest design and is built from plans. I get the full size prints done at Kinkos. I then transfer the prints to posterboard to make templates. The best way to do this is to use acetone. I get my acetone at Home Depot. I get my posterboard at Staples. Both are very inexpensive.

Lay the plans face down on the posterboard and wipe the back of the paper with acetone. Like magic it transfers the print to the posterboard! Check out the photos.

Once the plans are transferred, cut out the posterboard. The posterboard I get has the thickness of a poker card. Cut out all the parts. See photos.

I also use the posterboard for painting templates. See photos!

More to come.

JC
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2006, 08:45 PM
Crash & Burn
Looks good so far. Keep 'em comming.
Mar 19, 2006, 08:49 PM
Foam Flyer

Full Fuse

My full fuse concept is build using two symmetrical sides and a top and bottom former. Why full fuse? It is a lot stiffer and stronger than the typical X-type fuse that most shockies use. Also, I find that the full-fuse bipes I build roll better - more axial. I think they look cooler as well!

My fuse concept starts with the two sides being stacked directly on top of each other (see photo). I hot glue the front and back. You have to use hot glue for the flexibility. I just deposit a small blob and then smear it out flat.

This makes the fuse an envelope where you can insert the top and bottom formers.

Now that I have all the foam parts cut out it is time to paint. Better to paint while everything is flat! I use posterboard stencils and Krylon Fusion paint. Fusion dries almost instantly so the painting step is very quick. Just position the stencils and spritz on some color. See photos.

More to come!

JC
Mar 20, 2006, 08:12 PM
Foam Flyer

Taping it together

I got another hour in on the project today.

The first thing I did was to add the formers to the fuselage. Looks like the CAD program worked since everything fit!

Next I added a .8mm x 3mm carbon fiber leading edge to the wings to keep them straight. I hot glue them using dabs of glue every inch or so and then tape. After taping I go over it with a warm iron to "set" the tape so that it never pulls up.

Next I beveled and taped on the ailerons and then joined the elevators and stab with tape.

I glued in the stab/elevators to the fuse and then taped on the rudder. Now she is starting to look like an airplane! I then did a trial assembly to see if everything fit. It did! I then mounted the motor mount and calle it a night. See photos below.

JC
Mar 20, 2006, 08:25 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Awsome!

you gonna post plans?
Mar 20, 2006, 08:49 PM
Foam Flyer

No plans yet...but if you are interested...read on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirNerd
Awsome!

you gonna post plans?
The plans for the Perfexion are not ready for release yet. I need to clean them up a little. I may let some go free in exchange for a beta build and test on Ezone if you are interested.

I also have plans available now for my "Football" design (see photos). I'm trying to sell them on my website: www.rippinfoamies.com, but nobody is buying . I can let Football plans, stencils, and manual go now for buiders/testers interested in doing builds, photos, and videos on Ezone. Just send me an email if you are interested: john@rippinfoamies.com.

JC
Mar 20, 2006, 09:33 PM
I have seen Johnís planes fly, and Perfection is the word for them! He does not stop designing them until they fly perfectly in all attitudes. The Perfexion is poetry in motion when it is doing rolling circles.
Mar 21, 2006, 09:34 AM
Crash & Burn
Are there any formers or supports inside the fuselage?
Mar 21, 2006, 03:24 PM
Foam Flyer

No.. just the top and bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
Are there any formers or supports inside the fuselage?
Hello rmgmag,

No, just formers at the top and bottom are all that is needed. The resulting box structure is stiff and straight.

JC
Mar 21, 2006, 07:48 PM
Foam Flyer

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just ShootMe
I have seen Johnís planes fly, and Perfection is the word for them! He does not stop designing them until they fly perfectly in all attitudes. The Perfexion is poetry in motion when it is doing rolling circles.
Thanks..er...Dick, right? I need to post some video, but don't have a video camera yet.

Tax refund expected soon maybe I'll be able to get with it.

JC
Mar 21, 2006, 09:01 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Very very nice JC.
Mar 22, 2006, 07:56 PM
Foam Flyer

Finished 'er up tonight!

I finished the Perfexion up tonight with a small amount of work. I am happy to report that everything fit and only a couple of minor changes to the CAD plans will be made.

I am super jazzed about completely hiding the RX in the fuse for the first time. I am also anxious to see how those new super light BMS-303 servos work from Bluebird. I also developed a way to hang some wheel pants on the gear legs that worked out pretty good.

She looks really nice and came out at about 6 ounces. I'll be test flying this Friday.

See captions on photos for details.

Best regards,

JC