Thread Tools
Mar 19, 2006, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Man, just one of those days.....


Man, i just had it, just one of those days you just dont want to know anything of bikes..
Last week I bought a new TX in FM, since i had interferrence problems, i thought this might be the solution.
I installed it, new servos(up to 6) mada a final test and everything ok
I also put in a new gastank, as the other one broke in a crash.

So, got my gear together, up to a the place I usually go to do my rounds, fired up the engine and began making turns, as sudden the bike goes into topspeed and nothing I can do to make it stop, as my bike ends up crashing on a piece of pavement/sidewalk.
Results of the runaway:
Gastank busted (that makes 2 in one week)

So, if I may be honest: Its not funny anymore, it will take me another month to reorder a tank (10) and if I may ask you guys if this has happened to you before.
Questions:
1. FM radios vs AM, interferrence disturbances or not ?
2. Gas tank (NF) plastic any glue that can fix it? (European ones only)
3. I know about the failsafe, but others disadvise me, what do you think about it?

please advise
Robin
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2006, 02:06 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
Akura2's Avatar
1. FM is WAY better than AM.... (and DSM/Spektrum is better than them all)

2. Shoe Goo for the tank maybe.... or maybe you can melt the crack closed with a soldering gun

3. Throttle return spring is the best solution.. since if your battery becomes disconnected or if your servo horn pops off it will still work... and a failsafe is secondary... both should be a requirement for nitro bikes included in the box... at least the spring
Last edited by Akura2; Mar 19, 2006 at 02:13 PM.
Mar 19, 2006, 02:09 PM
Registered User
Get Spetrum radio gear and can you plastic weld the petrol tank with a soldering iron. Thats what i did.
Mar 19, 2006, 02:13 PM
Jev
Jev
Registered User
I would recommend you buy the new spektrum Pro combo if your transmitter is compatabile. That will either cure your problem or at least make sure you never have any interferance.

Also check the throttle linkage is not getting stuck, and all your wiring is in good order. You could try fender mender on the fuel tank but I'm not sure if it is fuel proof.

The ultimate fix is to go electric brushless .
Mar 19, 2006, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2
1. FM is WAY better than AM

2. Shoe Goo for the tank maybe.... or maybe you can melt the crack closed with a soldering gun

3. Throttle return spring is the best solution.. since if your battery becomes disconnected or if your servo horn pops off it will still work... and a failsafe is secondary... both should be a requirement for nitro bikes included in the box... at least the spring
Thx Akura,

Ill try the gun for the tank, but how do you explain the runaway with the FM? If it is better, does it mean it closes out interferrences? or may be not?
Last, do you have a picture of that throttle return spring, the carburator has one or do you mean another one?

Robin
Mar 19, 2006, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jev
I would recommend you buy the new spektrum Pro combo if your transmitter is compatabile. That will either cure your problem or at least make sure you never have any interferance.

Also check the throttle linkage is not getting stuck, and all your wiring is in good order. You could try fender mender on the fuel tank but I'm not sure if it is fuel proof.

The ultimate fix is to go electric brushless .
My LHS, advised me about some kind of gear to check if another fequency is near, but i dont recall its name.
My radio is the Compa-X4+1Trainer, not sure about the compability though.
thanks anyway
Robin
Mar 19, 2006, 02:31 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
Akura2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinpk
Thx Akura,

Ill try the gun for the tank, but how do you explain the runaway with the FM? If it is better, does it mean it closes out interferrences? or may be not?
Last, do you have a picture of that throttle return spring, the carburator has one or do you mean another one?

Robin
not sure about the runaway though... did you still have steering control or was it a complete runaway?... I'm thinking underground or overhead power wires maybe.... have you tried another area?.... next time go out with someone and have them hold the bike while you check for servo operation as they walk away... monitor the distance they can walk before your bike goes crazy.... check the area...radio station, power lines, someone in the bushes with a transmitter on the same freq. trying to ruin your day?.... I'd say Spektrum if it's in the budget

throttle return spring example

Mar 19, 2006, 02:34 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
Akura2's Avatar
Another (for slide carbs):
Mar 19, 2006, 02:40 PM
Thread OP
no one was is the area and the bike just flew away, being 10 ft away from me, steering, I had little. It just doesnt make sence.

thanks for the picture Akura.
Mar 19, 2006, 03:11 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
Akura2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinpk
no one was is the area and the bike just flew away, being 10 ft away from me, steering, I had little. It just doesnt make sence.

thanks for the picture Akura.
well once you get the tank fixed/replaced... and before you put the spring/failsafe in... do a range test with someone (as described above)... and check your equipment.... also find another area if you DO get interference and see if you get the same problems there... you could have a damaged Rx crystal or Tx......
Mar 19, 2006, 03:33 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Allan Waterfall's Avatar
Have you checked your servos,it could have been the throttle servo failed.

When you get it back together you could start it up,put it on its stand and walk away from it operating the TX to see if you can repeat the problem.

Were you using the same make TX and RX with their own crystals ?

Like others have said,the Spektrum is the way to go and it has a built in failsafe.
My RX battery went flat at the last race and the failsafe pulled the throttle shut and locked the front brake,the bike just came to a stop,no damage.

I'm betting you've got a loose connection/poor connection from your battery or the switch is failing intermittently.The standard Ace servo and battery plugs are a bit iffy and liable to shove the pins back into the plug rather than make proper contact.

The only other thing is to make sure the plugs are shoved right home into the RX as a plug not quite shoved right home can give you problems,it happened to me last year.

Allan
Mar 19, 2006, 04:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Waterfall
Have you checked your servos,it could have been the throttle servo failed.

When you get it back together you could start it up,put it on its stand and walk away from it operating the TX to see if you can repeat the problem.

Were you using the same make TX and RX with their own crystals ?

Like others have said,the Spektrum is the way to go and it has a built in failsafe.
My RX battery went flat at the last race and the failsafe pulled the throttle shut and locked the front brake,the bike just came to a stop,no damage.

I'm betting you've got a loose connection/poor connection from your battery or the switch is failing intermittently.The standard Ace servo and battery plugs are a bit iffy and liable to shove the pins back into the plug rather than make proper contact.

The only other thing is to make sure the plugs are shoved right home into the RX as a plug not quite shoved right home can give you problems,it happened to me last year.

Allan
Allan: Im still using 4 AA Ni-CD cells, they were fully charged, one thing Im sure of. The battery rack is new and tested. At the moment I was preparing the bike to fire up, no interference was detected, also same cristal was used in both TX and RX, bought last week. The plug fit in quite tightly, so I guess nothings wrong here, even after the crash, motor was still running(sirio) but the battery pack came down with the impact. Ive been running before in the same spot (the only one there is available, due to pocket bikes) and didnt have troubles before, even when using AM TX/RX, some interference but not like this one.
Robin
Mar 19, 2006, 08:05 PM
I would be willing to let you have my metal tank if you like?
It was the first tanks released before they went plastic. I
don't use it, so if you would like it?

I'll post a picture in a sec for ya.


Lorenzo
Mar 19, 2006, 08:21 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
BOZINATOR's Avatar
robinpk,
whitout the motor running but the radio on check to see if you move the steering the throttle moves too. If that works ok then try it with the motor running. If it only happens when the motor is running, then you have a vibration type failure. loose metal to metal connections or crossed metal linkage can cause this type of failure. There are many ways this can happen.
I am sure that the FCC rules are not in force where you live. CB radios with linear amps can send out side band spurs that can swamp out the front end of you receiver.
Just Thinking out loud.
Jim in California
Mar 19, 2006, 11:30 PM
How much is that spectrum you are talking about?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It Was Just One of Those Days....!! Boss248 3D Flying 49 Aug 22, 2005 06:37 PM
Ever Have one of those days that makes it all worth while? RCFlybry Thermal 15 Aug 24, 2003 04:23 PM
One of those days ... Bill Glover Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 3 Sep 28, 2002 05:37 PM
Just one of those days... Sal C Electric Plane Talk 5 May 13, 2001 10:18 PM