Mar 19, 2006, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

2006 Ohio Valley Soaring Series-Sponsored by JR Radio and Soaring USA

Started in 1998 to support and encourage RC Soaring Contests in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky, the Ohio Valley Soaring Series (OVSS) in 2006 will have it's ninth year of competiton, flying, and fellowship. In '98, the Season Champion was Don Harris, in 2006, it was Jim Bacus with Bob Burson winning the Sportsman Class, which started in 2005.

As mentioned in the title, JR Radio and Soaring USA, are sponsors of the 2006 OVSS. Peter Goldsmith and John Diniz at JR and Bob Breaux of SUSA are great supporters of soaring in the US, and especially in the Ohio Valley. JR gives merchandise and servos for each contest weekend, and for the 2006 Master and Sportsman Class winners, they recieve each, a JR 9303 radio. SUSA will be giving merchandise and, for a new award in 2006, we are giving a Rookie of the Year winner, that will recieve a discount coupon from SUSA for their choice of merchandise. We are very blessed that JR and SUSA see fit to support us.

For those that have not joined us at an OVSS event, all but two contests are now flying Seeded Man-On-Man (SMOM). If you have not flown this contest format, go to www.cincinnatisoaring.org and go to the OVSS logo and read the guidelines of running a SMOM contest and the rules for how OVSS operates. It is pretty simple and it is as user friendly as we can make it. Pretty much the norm at OVSS contests are long flight tasks, no sand bagging, no place to hide if you are expecting to be the winner. Winners are taking on the big boys all day to make it to the top of the heap. If you have not been to a SMOM contest, it is the closet thing to a spectator sport in RC Soaring.

The folowing is the schedule for the 2006 contest year, included is the website for the clubs which in time will contain information on each contest weekend or event.

May 20/21-Cincinnati Soaring Society Memorial Contest-Mason, OH
www.cincinnatisoaring.org

June 10/11-LOFT Bob Steele Memorial Contest-Ft. Wayne, IN
www.loftrc.org

June 17/18-MVSA Gateway Soaring Open-St. Louis, MO
www.mvsaclub.com

July 1/2-Mid South Soaring Championship-Louisville, KY
www.louisvillesoaring.org

July 26/27-LSF/AMA Soaring Nationals Unlimited Class-Muncie, IN
www.silentflight.org

August 12/13-DARTS Man-on-Man Championship-Yellow Springs, OH
www.daytonsoaring.org

August 26/27-BSS Bluegrass Open-Lexington, KY
http://members.aol.com/bgsoaring/

September 9/10-SOAR Fred Memorial Contest-Plainfield, IL
www.soarchicago.net

October 7/8-OVSS Fall Round Up-Muncie, IN
www.loftrc.org

If you have any other question, you can post here or contact me, Marc Gellart (OVSS Coordinatoor), at [email protected] and I will try to answer your inquierery. We love having folks from all over coming in, hopefully you can in 2006.
Last edited by R.M. Gellart; Apr 30, 2006 at 02:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2006, 06:58 PM
Support www.usf3jteam.com
just FYI its www.soarchicago.net
Mar 19, 2006, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
Thanks LF, I even had it on a note the correct way and blew it.

Marc
Mar 21, 2006, 03:36 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Heya Marc,

First, you can edit your post to fix it. This is not RCSE, once you push send it is not "set in stone". Just click the "edit" button next to the quote button in your post. Be sure to put a reason for your edit. People like that.

Second, I looked around and did not notice this. Normally, the top 5 contest days count towards your year end score. Will it still be that way in 2006, or will it be changed? I ask because 2006 has an extra contest (Mid south in Louisville) over normal years.

Thanks!

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Mar 21, 2006, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ryan, and yes, five best for '06 as well as was done in'05.

Marc
Apr 30, 2006, 10:17 AM
aka ben wilson

Rookie Award

That rookie award is a fantastic idea! Kudos to whomever got the sponsorship together.
Apr 30, 2006, 02:08 PM
Thread OP
Actually, thank Dave Hauch, he got me hooked up with Bob. Wish Dave could come down some and fly, he would qualify.

Marc
May 14, 2006, 05:43 PM
Thread OP
First weekend coming up quick, got the 2005 award placques in the car. Look forward to seeing everyone there. Hopefully the weather comes around.

Marc
Jun 21, 2006, 04:03 PM
Thread OP
Week and a half away, Mid South is coming quick. With it in Louisville, it is a part of OVSS in '06. see you all there!!!
Jun 21, 2006, 04:35 PM
I'll be there Sunday. Hopefully I can score some more OVSS points.

Ryan
Jun 22, 2006, 01:47 AM
Cleveland Ohio
when i go to the web sites, say of cinn their calender is 2004!!

seems the information is hard to find. just an observation.

As a long time builder, but under confident newcomer to thermaling, it might be cool to have a desingated coach as one's timer. OR are contests not the time to learn?

just a thought
Jun 22, 2006, 06:02 AM
Thread OP
Well, the calendar is right there for you in the first post of this topic, the reason Cinci's website was cited was that the MOM format and rules were there. Also, I do not do webpages, so anybody that will help that is where it is at. As far as help at a contest, there is always someone to help, ask the contest director to point you in the right direction.

Marc
Jun 22, 2006, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnowfall
As a long time builder, but under confident newcomer to thermaling, it might be cool to have a desingated coach as one's timer. OR are contests not the time to learn?
Snowfall,

It is tough for a CD to designate a coach to a new pilot as there is much for him to do that day. And, CDs in regional contests usually also compete in the contest.

That said, there is a pretty good incentive for you to fly OVSS contests, as there is a "rookie" award this year. If you email the CD ahead of time, he might be able to round up one of his club members to serve as your timer/mentor for the day.

BTW, where are you located?

Ryan
Jun 23, 2006, 06:01 AM
Thread OP
Ryan, the reason I mentioned the CD is he is going to be the front of the contest and will know a bit about who is good help for newbies and who may not. Negotiations from that point are the fliers issue, not the CD, part of the CD's job is public relations as well and this can be said to fall under that catagory.

Marc
Jun 23, 2006, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss
Ryan, the reason I mentioned the CD is he is going to be the front of the contest and will know a bit about who is good help for newbies and who may not.
Oh sure, I agree with that. CDs usually are a good place for a new flyer to start when looking for a timer, but the flyer should not *expect* the CD to find an expert timer for him. Unless the contest is specifically marketed as a Pro-Am type contest or something. Emailing the CD in advanced is not a bad idea at all.

It was 10 years ago last April that I went to my first contest (Intergalactic, anybody remember those?). Of course, I already had a flying partner along (Adam Weston) but it was a bit indimidating.

Ryan

Quick Reply