Mar 18, 2006, 09:42 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Thread OP
Rave

I'm Grinning Ear To Ear

I have 3 coastal slopes within a short drive of my home: Back Bay ('bout 2 miles), Dog Beach and Reef Point (both about 8 miles). That's pretty handy when a good wind is blowing ashore but it has been months since it's done that on a day I could go fly.

Well today was different. Today the wind was blowing out of the SW at a good clip and there was nothing stopping me from heading to Reef Point. So I charged up some planes and my TX and went and boy howdy am I glad I did! I flew for about 5 hours and for the majority of the time I had the slope to myself.

The highlight of the day was the stick time I got in with my Moth. It's the first time I've been able to really wring it out since I bought my Evo-9. Either the setup sucked, the wind was inadequate, or I didn't have any ballast with me so every flight I've had with it since I retired the Eclipse-7 has been disappointing. Today I had wind, ballast, and a near-perfect setup so I put 7 of 11 lead slugs in the tube and went for broke.

I almost forgot how much fun it is to fly a Moth. I could do a high-speed pass about 30 feet below the edge of the cliff and pull up into a loop which would top out hundreds of feet over my head. It's a guided missile with wings that will effortlessly do every aerobatic maneuver that a slope plane can do and do it gracefully. It was high-performance sport flying at it's finest.

The Halfpipe was almost as much fun and almost as fast and my little Zipper was simply insane in todays lift. I just can't believe how fast and agile it is for a 36" chevron wing that weighs less than 12oz. Several others showed up throughout the day and tossed 48" wings out into the lift and my little Zipper flew circles around all of them.

The gulls and crows didn't stand a chance.

I hope this marks the beginning of a good flying season here on the North Orange County coastline. It's been rotten for way too long.

Pete
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply