Mar 18, 2006, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Building a 44" Tiger Moth

Due to the fact that the 35" Tiger Moth flew so well, I thought it might be fun to do one in a larger size for 4 ch. and brushless outrunner. I know, I've taken all kinds of heat for going over to the "dark side" and succoming to modern technology and actually designing a model not only for 4 channel, but also for brushless! But that's OK, if I'm going to have to take the <good natured> abuse anyway, I might as well give 'em a good reason.

The model was designed at 44" for the E-Flight Park 400 Outrunner and 2, 2100 cells. Target weight is around 22 - 24 oz. With the wing area at 570 sq. in. it should be a real floater.

One more cosideration with a model this big is that the wings will need to be removable. On this design, the wings will plug in in pairs, and will be secured with holding fixtures to prevent damage when the wings are not on the model.

With the plans finished, it's time to build!
Last edited by P. Tritle; Mar 18, 2006 at 10:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2006, 09:41 AM
Thread OP

Framing the Tail

The first step was to make up the bowing patterns from 3/16 artists foam board and form up the bows. From there, the vertical and horizontal tails were framed over the plans, sanded to shape and the hinges added.
Mar 18, 2006, 09:45 AM
Thread OP

Framing the Top Wing

Construction began with the top wing center section. The balsa skins were made up using the laser cut parts, and the assembly built directly on the bottom skin. The aluminum joiner tube recievers were glued in place and the top skin added. When dry, the assembly was sanded to shape.
Mar 18, 2006, 10:05 AM
Thread OP

The Outer Panels

The top wing panels were framed over the plan. The ribs and spars "egg crate" together so alignment is easy and the wing builds quickly. The tip bows were made from 2 laminations of 1/16 X 3/16 balsa and glued in place, followed by the 1/16 sq. balsa top spars.

With both panels completed and sanded to shape, they were plugged into the center section to complete the assembly. As shown, the wing assembly weighs in at 1.4 oz.
Mar 18, 2006, 10:09 AM
Thread OP

Starting the Bottom Wing

The bottom wing builds essentially the same as the top, except for the ailerons. Before the wing is framed, the aileron spare is glued to the rear main spar. From there the basic wing builds pretty much the same.
The weather man is once again baring bad news, so hope to get some good progress this weekend. Will post up when it happens!

PAT
Mar 18, 2006, 11:31 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
Pat, I guess I'll ask the usual first question: Who gets this one when its ready? A TM at that size and weight is an exciting prospect!

Mark
Mar 18, 2006, 12:33 PM
Leave me alone!
Looks great, Pat! I have to say I've been wanting a light Tiger Moth in this size range for quite some time. I assume by "good progress", you mean you'll have it ready to fly by monday - your usual time frame

Martin
Mar 18, 2006, 12:33 PM
pray for our troops
Hmmm,

44" with take apart wing? It sounds like it might just be easier to store than the 35" without. I'll be watching with interest.

Rob
Mar 18, 2006, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
Martin, Done by Monday -- Oh come now, this is a big project! Thre's NO WAY it could possibly be done before Wednsday! Besides, the forcast is bad till Thursday so I couldn't fly it anyway

Mark, I'm not sure how I'll handle this one yet. But, anyone who wants to build one will have the oppertunity

PAT
Mar 18, 2006, 01:53 PM
Hi Pat, will the 35" Moth be kitted anytime soon ?

Thanks for the 44" eye-candy

Peter
Mar 18, 2006, 02:00 PM
Thread OP
Peter, The 35" Moth will be along real soon. It, the YMF-5 and the Pacer are getting real close. The thing that delayed the YMF-5 in the first place was that it was grouped with 2 Cessnas which had to be pulled within days of release. The Pacer and the Moth were "plugged in" at the last minute and needed working up to fill the holes the Cessnas created. In a way, that was good, it moved the Moth up a notch.
PAT
Mar 18, 2006, 02:28 PM
Very nice so far Pat!!!!!

I gladly take a prescription of your Building skill drug!!!!!

Jamie AKA nondrugaddict!
Mar 18, 2006, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the Darkside Pat! You know what Master Yoda says:

"Beware of the Darkside. Once you travel down the easy path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Does this mean we can expect more excellent larger brushless subjects from you in the future?

-Sky
Mar 18, 2006, 03:40 PM
A light 4ch moth will be great. Any chance you might have Manzano cut this one? Dumas seams to be really over priced plus I have had some Dumas kits with real oak like balsa.

Dave
Mar 18, 2006, 05:23 PM
Single-task at best...
Pat,

This looks fabulous, and I like the idea of making it with ailerons and brushless from the outset. So it should perform some nice'n'slow aerobatics too?

tim

Quick Reply