This thread is privately moderated by P. Tritle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 01, 2019, 01:58 AM
Alpha Whisky
I`ve only just come across this thread recently. Haven`t gone through all of it so maybe these two might be repeats...

First up - a series of simple 'G' clamps I cut from some scrap ali extrusion many years ago. Have about half a dozen of each. They have been exceedingly useful over the years ...

Second up - a simple pattern for marking servo cutout holes in plywood or whatever. Plastic material used was cut from the lid of a an empty icecream carton. Saves a lot of hassles trying to shuffle cutout holes between too tight or too large ....

Alan W
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2019, 12:21 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Those G clamps are genius! Where do you get aluminum c-channel that's that thick?
Aug 02, 2019, 06:07 PM
Alpha Whisky
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy
Those G clamps are genius! Where do you get aluminum c-channel that's that thick?
In a previous life I was involved in the design area in the aluminium extrusion industry. As such, I was able to regularly rat through the scrap bins and liberate all manner of strange and useful items. I seem to recall the heavier channels used for these clamps originally started life as corner cleats for commercial doors as typically used in shopfronts.

Alan W
Aug 02, 2019, 11:08 PM
Flying Models Plans
Here's an option if you are handy with a hack saw, metal cutting band saw or mill. Split it down the middle and you've got two channels that can span roughly 1 1/2, with 1 5/8 deep jaws. By my count you ought to be able to get two clamps per inch of stock, so not so bad at just over $1 per.

I've heard tell of folks carefully cutting aluminum with table and miter saws, and a carbide blade. I can't recommend that, and if I was tempted I would spend more time thinking first about work holding and a face shield, before just about anything else.

Look at the channel stock as well. They've got a few other viable options.

Thayer

https://classic.onlinemetals.com/mer...68&top_cat=60#
Aug 03, 2019, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky
In a previous life I was involved in the design area in the aluminium extrusion industry. As such, I was able to regularly rat through the scrap bins and liberate all manner of strange and useful items. I seem to recall the heavier channels used for these clamps originally started life as corner cleats for commercial doors as typically used in shopfronts.

Alan W
One of the downsides of retirement is not having access to the machine shop scrap bin anymore. Oh well, now I get paid for doing nothing.

CR
Sep 03, 2019, 03:50 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel
Here's a link to a pdf on how to make your own.

Larry
The diagram/explanation is designed for somewhere who knows what a Rocket City Pin Clamp looks like and what they do. I have never seen or used one, but I build small models and would like to learn. Can you or anyone post a photo of one of these clamps?
Sep 03, 2019, 04:26 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale
The diagram/explanation is designed for somewhere who knows what a Rocket City Pin Clamp looks like and what they do. I have never seen or used one, but I build small models and would like to learn. Can you or anyone post a photo of one of these clamps?
Lets give this a try!
Sep 03, 2019, 05:33 PM
Plane crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by elecfryer
Lets give this a try!
They look easy to 3D print.
Sep 04, 2019, 03:28 PM
I know this is a thread about tools money can't buy - but it doesn't take much money to buy a pack of 24 solid wood pin clamps from Peck-Polymers ;-) Check them out here: https://www.wind-it-up.com/collectio...products/pp698
Last edited by aviatortom; Sep 04, 2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typo
Sep 04, 2019, 06:03 PM
Flying Models Plans
And while you're at it, take a look at some of Pecks other stock. Some of those kits, especially the Golden Age line, would make some lovely RC conversions for the local park.
Sep 04, 2019, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer
And while you're at it, take a look at some of Pecks other stock. Some of those kits, especially the Golden Age line, would make some lovely RC conversions for the local park.
I'm trying to remember how I held those 1/16" & 1/8" strips to the waxed paper over the plans when I was a teen building stick & tissue rubber band models. AIR I had to put a pin on either side of the stick to hold in place. I had lots of pins!

CR
Sep 04, 2019, 10:23 PM
Flying Models Plans
That is one common technique, another is to run pins through scraps of balsa, and use them as pin clamps. If you pick firm scrap they hold well.

Thayer
Jan 19, 2020, 09:02 PM
Genius idea!
Jan 21, 2020, 03:39 PM

Grip Pins

Those Grip Pins at Peck-Polymers look just like the one's I bought many years ago from a forgotten source .
They are super sharp. Glad to see a replacement.
Thank you
Johnny Walker
Jan 22, 2020, 10:06 PM
Flying Models Plans
I used to get my grip pins from Hobby Lobby at Toledo.

Quick Reply