In search of: A parkflyer that will not put you to sleep. - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 14, 2006, 08:34 PM
Rc's Best Friend
New Product

In search of: A parkflyer that will not put you to sleep.

SUPERFLY BUILD-MEDIA AND FLIGHT VIDS!!!

For those who know me, (from my cancelled Chuckd account) you know that when I fly…my taste is very much for speed. There is something about slamming across the sky and pulling a wild aerobatic at 100+ mph that allows me to release the aggressions of a man who has been forced to give up any other adrenaline-ridden outlet due to job, career, and family. I think the same has happened to many after 30 years of age.

My fast planes now are reaching the 160MPH (yes, real, radar- miles per hour) mark. Yet, the metamorphosis from park flyers to speed flyers had begun to change my proverbial ‘flight pattern’. It was quite clear what was happening here…daddy needed more space.

Gone were the whimsical days of running down the street to the school field to fly a plane between meetings, phone calls, and my children’s naps. I could not hit the state parks, either….they kicked me out within days of my old Stryker breaking 70. And so, I joined a club one hour and ten minutes away that has the space commodious enough for me to fly my even more advanced super-fast planes. This is when I noticed a problem. I was flying less and less…NOT GOOD. I needed to find an alternative plane…but as you know, ‘our kind’ is not easy to please.

So I went on another voyage via the internet, hobby shops, and word of mouth to find something I could fly. My requirements were not easy to satisfy.

- Must be quiet
- Must fly for at least 10 minutes
- Must be durable
- Must be a freakin hoot to fly.

Seven planes later I remembered seeing a SuperflyRC delta video…so I went to their site and ordered one of their EDF deltas. It was fun and fast. And, as I often do when I find something I like, I contact the maker personally to commend them on a good job. After all, I am a marketing dude and know how few compliments on a ‘good job’ are heard by the artists in any craft. It means a great deal to the artisans if you give em ‘props’ once in a while.

Anyway, after talking with David (who owns SuperflyRC) a few times and getting beyond the normal ‘wall of introduction’ one can feel…David shot me an email one night essentially telling me he had ‘nailed it’ on a new EPP Delta with a mid-mount out-runner.
His email seemed to have a sincere excitement to it…so my intrigue was high.

The email read that this plane was “unlike any other delta” as it can fly BOTH indoors and outdoors, be highly acrobatic, super stable, and fly flat and level with some speed or slow down to a veritable 1-2mph 3D-harrier. It sounded sweet to me….

Two days later, I got another email from David asking if I would like to be a ‘tester’.

“COOL!”

This will be my first actual review of a commercially available plane.

I promise to be 100 percent honest, fair, and unbiased….after all, I have been ‘taken’ on more than one review myself…so I know where the rest of us are coming from when we read a review. Today marks a new day in reviews…

Here is my plan:

Show how to build it…
Give some advice….
Fly it….
Review it…
And pass the word, good or bad…on this brand new “3D-Sport Hybrid Delta”

Will I be able to fly this at the park? Will it be cool? Will it be interesting? Is it worth the price?

The box is in the garage….the video camera is ready.

Lets tear this up…let’s be real!

--C
Last edited by ChuckD2; Apr 04, 2006 at 05:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2006, 08:48 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Tear it up Chuck. Looks like this might be one I press buy on.
Cheers
Bill
Mar 15, 2006, 04:04 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Sounds like a great plan. Can't wait to see the build/reviews Chuck!
Mar 15, 2006, 05:07 AM
It's me Glacier Girl
C,
You know me, I'm always ready for something new.
Mar 15, 2006, 06:31 AM
Jim
Here's some parkflyers with nitelites, in case you do wake up and need to see what's going on. Sorry, couldn't resist!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438925
Mar 15, 2006, 11:43 AM
Rc's Best Friend

Open That Box!!!

Day 2...the box arrived. I must admit, this little wing intrigues me for several reasons. The biggest reason being....
YOU PUT IT TOGETHER WITH HOT GLUE!!! WHAT!!!??? Yep...thats all she asks for...some run of the mill "Hot Glue" and about 2-3 hours of love.

Much to my wife, Jenna's chagrin, the box sat on the kitchen table as I opened it up...
"Open me Chuck, Open Me!"

As I opened the box, the eyebrows immediately went up. NICE WORK. I am a stickler for professionalism and presentation. Everything I called for was in the box...

If they take this much time and love packing everything up...
I have to wonder how clean their bathrooms are at SuperflyRC HQ?

What I like about this kit is that it comes with a power system and mounting hardware that is 'matched' to the sytem weight and performance.

A spruce stick, a heatsink-mount, screws, and an outrunner
..."SLAP ME RUNNIN!"

I also called for the requisite 2s 1200mAh Apache and suggested Bluebird MG servos...yep, they were in there, too.

Who knew the Apache indians not only were part of the fabric of our country
...but also made lipos!

As I peeled back the packing paper, my eye was also caught by an all new innovation from SuperflyRC....
THE PRE-SHAPED CANOPY!!!!
YEAH!!! NO MORE SANDING!!!!

Anyone who has tried to sand EPP in the past
knows it's kind of like trying to watch The West Wing
after a hard night of drinking...HEADACHE.
Good work Superfly

I will try to get back on later tonight with the building process and a few more highlights. Excitement runs high...lets hope this excitement continues.

--C
Mar 15, 2006, 12:14 PM
Sussex, UK
Excellent! I've often thought that this would be a good configuration for these deltas. A protected prop AND prop wash over the elevons, it should be great...

What motor are you planning to use?
Mar 15, 2006, 01:45 PM
IWC
IWC
http://www.crosswindcomposites.com/v...iper_music.wmv
Mar 15, 2006, 06:21 PM
Rc's Best Friend
Hey Robin,

It was the motor that comes with the kit ( A TP 21 appx 1750KV outrunner). I am building this and reviewing it 100 percent to ‘spec’ as my goal is review it ‘as it is’…perhaps down the line there will be some added fun…but from what I understand…this setup gives the plane fine performance. Of course, all that remains to be seen….

The setup I have earmarked is:
Included Motor TP 21 appx 1750KV
GWS PICO 4 Channel Single Conversion
2s Apache 1200 Lipo
CC Thunderbird 18 esc
BlueBird BMS380 MG servos
GWS 8X6 prop (oops HD version prop...just looked)

Its AUW (when built to spec) is appx 11 oz according to the manual….

I am getting 'itchy' to get this going....

--C
Last edited by ChuckD2; Mar 15, 2006 at 07:51 PM.
Mar 15, 2006, 07:18 PM
Rc's Best Friend

THE BUILD VIDEO "Joinin' the Wings"

Well, curiosity has had me spellbound since the last post. I swore to myself that I would wait to continue until I got back from Orlando on business….but hey, I do not have to get up at 4am tomorrow. …and so it was out to my proverbial “Man Cave” (aka SHED) to bring this review of the all new Superfly to the next level….out of the box, to the shed, and from concept to testing.

My Assets for this trip were different than most sojourns to the bench.

-A box of hobby razors
-A knife for the razors
-Hot Glue gun
-Hot Glue sticks.

The fact that I was walking with only these items in my grasp to work on a project was a move that would make Martha Stewart proud. It was as if I could hear Martha’s cutting monotone voice in the 25 MPH winds as I took the long walk to the shed.

“Perhaps he could be going to make a decorative Topiary or Silk Floral arrangement for that unexpected spring luncheon with friends or family”

My mind lurched…“NOT TONIGHT MARTHA”, I thought, “TONIGHT I BUILD A WINGED 3D/SPORT PARKFLYER…AND I HOPE OPRAH WINFREY BURNS DOWN YOUR FLOWER GARDEN…GET OUT OF MY HEAD ”

I went in to the shed, turned on the light, and plugged in the glue-gun. Just how easy is this concept-delta-wing to build? History will decide.

SUPERFLY BUILD VIDEO 1 (Hi Rez)

SUPERFLY BUILD VIDEO 1 (LOW Rez)

--C

As I said, I will be flying (on a 100 percent scale sized 737) to Orlando on business for the next four days…but the hotel has high speed internet so I will be back on in the next day or so… I got a good amount of video to chop up on the build. …and this is too freaking exciting. PS…if there are any flyers in the O-town, shoot me an email to charlesdoud@cox.net as it would be cool to break away to watch some good flying.
Mar 15, 2006, 07:39 PM
Life is Good!
Nice video Chuck...I look forward to seeing the next segment.

Tank
Mar 15, 2006, 08:00 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Nice Chuck. Will the Superfly be available sans the motor?
Mar 15, 2006, 09:18 PM
Rc's Best Friend

Yo Guys!

Shelby and now Bill....NOW I FEEL RIGHT AT HOME!!!

Sorry I have missed you at the club, Bill...then again, since baby #2 in Feb I have not been to the club; planning on it in the next few weeks.

I would email superfly (ask for David) from the website and ask him.

I know when we spoke...this was 'the motor' to use and from the videos I have seen, I would tend to agree. Unlike my other planes, I am not looking to mod this one to do Mach 15...this is to be a fun, compelling-plane that allows me to be as casual or extreme in acrobatics as I wish. He tells me no matter what you throw at it...it is steady as a rock.

Good to see ya!

--C
Mar 15, 2006, 11:55 PM
Chuck,

Regardless of the airplane, I'd like to give you "props" as an artisan in your field of marketing.

--Bill
Mar 16, 2006, 05:01 AM
Rc's Best Friend
Thanks Bill....

You da man, too! I hope one day to leave the mass-consumer market and spend my time working 100 percent with my passion....the sport of RC. In my time of experiementation, education, and progression, I can honestly say that in this 'sport', I have found comraderie I never knew existed, excitement that was untapped, and a passion which has blown up in to a love of anything RC. Heck in two years alone, I have made more friends than in the past 16 of my career. Every city, every town...I watch the news, see a map, read a story and can usually now say "Oh, I got a buddy there".

I am sitting in the airport right now waiting for the rest of the crew to show up. No transmitters can be seen...I look out the window and see the shiny birds pitch up and travel skyward thinking...

"If I could just be on the other end of the sticks for that one"

But alas, the servos alone on one of these 100 perecent scale bad-boys would mean I would have to work nights.

Till I get to Orlando,

--C