Mar 13, 2006, 05:38 PM
Slope elope
Thread OP
Question

What's a good foam to use for the "lost-foam" method

That is, the method where you cover your plug with glass and epoxy, then melt out the foam inside with acetone.

Bonus question: Where's a good place to buy said foam?

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2006, 05:42 PM
I just finished one and used the plain old pink foam from Home Depot. 20 bucks for a 4x8 sheet, that's a lot of airplanes.

So, what's the bouns, did I win?
Mar 13, 2006, 05:46 PM
It could happen...
I don't think you should get the full bonus ...pink foam is hard to come by in So Cal...though you might find some up your way in SB area?
Mar 13, 2006, 05:46 PM
Slope elope
Thread OP
Home Depot, eh? I'll check it out.

Your bonus is total enlightenment when you die (so, you've got that going for 'ya).

Mar 13, 2006, 05:54 PM
auto-tune remix
...which is great.
Mar 13, 2006, 06:01 PM
It could happen...
...but sir, if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up...
Mar 13, 2006, 06:03 PM
__Jackass Savant__
It's $40 for a 4 by 50 foot sheet of bluecor. You can get it a lowes. If your local store doesnt have it, you can have it ICB requested to your store for free. I had 2 bundles shipped to my Ventura store. It was a little old "brittle", but fine for sanding. You just have to peel the skin off bluecor for this application. The skin makes it stronger, but its about 10-13% of the total weight.

Just look in the "foamies" forum. All the blue planes are bluecor.
Mar 13, 2006, 06:07 PM
__Jackass Savant__
You can get thick blocks of it to carve from here.

Bluecor should be great for this since most paints "crylon" and glues "ca" disolve it. It should just vanish with some thinner.
Mar 13, 2006, 06:33 PM
It could happen...
Bluecor is only about 1/4" thick...so I guess you're talking about laminating sheets together?

If there is a White Cap near you, they carry foam...can't remember if they have pink (Owens) or blue (Dow). Trouble is, if they don't carry it as an in-store item you'll need a certain minimum to get them to transfer it from another store. Lowe's might be albe to get foam for you too as stores in other areas sell it...same minimum order may apply?
Mar 13, 2006, 06:59 PM
__Jackass Savant__
Yep. laminating the sheets together with a sandable glue like using the pink stuff. Or, using the link for rcfoam.com and getting the thick "2 3 4 and 10 inch thick" planks.
Mar 13, 2006, 07:01 PM
PWP!
Could one "make do" with the white cellular EPS from home depot?
Mar 13, 2006, 07:16 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
I use EPS for lost foam all the time works fine
sand easy with 180 grit cover with packing tape
so you get a smooth internal finish a cup full of
acetone at thend end Viola instant hollow tube
SteveW
Mar 13, 2006, 08:08 PM
Something MUST FLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLift
...but sir, if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up...
"I said Gophers! Not Golfers!"
Mar 13, 2006, 08:12 PM
auto-tune remix
...license to kill gophers, issued by the Government of the United nations..
Mar 13, 2006, 08:48 PM
Slope elope
Thread OP
Home Despot is no go for the pink stuff (at least in Santa Barbara). I think I'll try that online source theBOZman links to.

Quick Reply