Jun 27, 2002, 10:05 PM
Electric Addict

worlds smallest 4 cell battery pack?

Does anyone have a recommendation for the lightest weight 4 cell battery pack available? I need around 5V to power a small wireless video camera. It only pulls around 50mA.

Tower doesnt seem to sell anything under 250mAh. I was thinking of a 50mAh pack if possible.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2002, 11:04 PM
i have two four cell 50 mah packs fo small gliders . i got them from radical rc, it think their website is www.radicalrc.com , at the toledo show.
Jun 28, 2002, 12:23 AM
Fuzzy Member
The 50mah nicads will be pretty light and cheep. If you want the ultimate, then get 2 of the new 140mah polys and use the a gws speed controll with a bec to limit the voltage to 5v, I know this works as I have done it with a small xmiter and camera that took about 250ma, using bigger li ions. You will get almost 3 hrs out of these cells and be a little lighter than the 4 cell 50 mah pack.
Jun 28, 2002, 01:51 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Or you could use a simple voltage regulator chip rather than a speed controller although the GWS esc is so small and cheap its a really good solution.

The 140mAh LiPoly cells are 3.6g each so the total pack weight is about the same as a two cell 50mAh nicad but with ~ three times the capacity. There are several thread on them.

I am going to do the same thing as I have a blackwidowav.com transmitter and ccd camera. I may also use a DC-DC of about 1g weight to produce the 5v, this means only one cell and no regulator is needed giving a 4.6g total pack weight. I may be selling these in the future but not at the moment.

To buy these cells:

www.indoor.flyer.co.uk - (this is me)
www.smallrc.com
www.ruijsink.nl

And for cells and an economic charger :

http://users.joplin.com/~bselman/

best of luck

Graham
Jun 28, 2002, 06:54 AM
I heard if you open up the 9 to 12 volt alkaline cylinder cells sold for keyless remotes, you would find a number of very small button cells. These might deliver the current. If not, at Allelectronics.com you can buy a 6 cell 40 mah Nimh button cell packs for $2. These should do it for sure, and you won't need a special charger.

But Graham is right the Polymers will give you the most duration.

Philip
Last edited by fill; Jun 28, 2002 at 07:04 AM.
Jun 29, 2002, 01:22 PM
Tree Trimmer
How would the CR2032 lithium coin cell work I beleive they are 230 mah and 3 volts apeice they are not rechargable but if you shop around they can be had at a very cheap price.
I myself have tried the single cell 12 volt alkaline cells but there rated at about 30 mah. and only seem to give juice for about 3-4 then they are shot.
Jun 30, 2002, 12:03 AM
Master of the Wind
hearing aid batteries ... .. also the 120 nimh cells are lighter then the 50n sanyo's but i have seen 70 nimh cells and there tiny lil suckers.. keep looking its out there...
Jun 30, 2002, 12:35 AM
high-speed freak
70ma nimh's are pretty pesky buggers... they provide VERY little current (500ma or less, a lot less preferably) and they are 2.5g each or so... 7.5g for a 3-cell, li-poly wins. cr2032 will work, I have pulled 60ma for el lights from them fine.