Mar 10, 2006, 02:07 AM
Going Home
Thread OP
Discussion

Air Warrior B-29 Superfortress. Need opinions

For those of you that are familar with this plane, is it even worth the time to bother with it

http://mallmembers.com/pro276143.html

Reason I ask is because I havent seen many of these planes being either sold or flown. When they first hit the market the retailers were asking over $100 for it. Now it seems like they are giving them away and there's got to be a reason for it.

For those that have flown (or attempted to fly) it, is it any good?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2006, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starguard
For those of you that are familar with this plane, is it even worth the time to bother with it

Reason I ask is because I havent seen many of these planes being either sold or flown. When they first hit the market the retailers were asking over $100 for it. Now it seems like they are giving them away and there's got to be a reason for it.

I saw one guy fly one of these. From what I recall, there was no actual rudder. The thing turned by shutting off one side of the motors and vice versa to turn the other way. I believe elevator control was by motor speed only. Overall, it seemed like a difficult plane to control. The guy who was flying it crashed quite a few times.

hk
Mar 10, 2006, 03:26 AM
Shut up and FLY!!!!!
Quote:

Check out thid thread. It has the most info I have seen on the B-29 as well as other 2 channel planes.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459920
Mar 10, 2006, 07:06 AM
Going Home
Thread OP
Thanks
Mar 10, 2006, 08:59 AM
Glenn
I have had a few of them and as long as the battery is fully charged they are good.
Mar 10, 2006, 07:13 PM

Check my review

I reviewed the Air Warrior on this site. Check the archive. In the review, I have some advice about putting the thing together. It will fly, but you get what you pay for. If you are thinking of it as a novelty and just want to experiment, get one. If you want something to fly day after day, save your money for something more substantial.
May 26, 2006, 01:13 PM
Frozen Polarbear
Quote:

I got one of theese, but never tryed it in stoc condition. I ripped out the stock reciver, motors and battrey and replaced them with:
- 4 GWS EDP-50 motors w/GWS2030 prop
- GWS 300Li ESC
- Jeti Reciver
- 2 BlueBird 303 servos (Rudder/Elevator)
- 2S 1100 mAh LiPo batt

Saved ca 20 grammes in the prosess. It Flew OK, it has enough power. Se the video here. The Superfortress is not decorated at the video.

Cheers
Tore, Norway
May 27, 2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks Bomberguy. I have been flying the Air Warrior for many months. The motors are still good, it isnt necessary to replance them. The plane grooves solidly in turns and can be flown realistically if desired. Avoid all stunts. I like to fly it from the dirt strip except that small pebbles that are stirred up by the nose wheel cause nicks in the propellers. I have used up all the spares. See also my Air Force Glider mods for turbine power. You can see all my videos on YOUTUBE.com code name TWINTEN. Or just type in "RC in flight videos".
May 28, 2006, 12:45 AM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
I had one of these, it flew great!!! Almost makes it more fun having semi control of the damn thing. I did rogs and landings, no prob. Wait for a calm evening and do some test flights over tall grass..some of these will come out of the box with some issues. Mine was fine....i chose to take out the dihedral and then had some spectacular crashes...dont do this. All that dihedral looks bad but maker er fly. I want another one. It will always be my first multi. Ha. LH
May 28, 2006, 12:30 PM
Right - dont take out the dihedral unless you install ailerons like I did. The brace takes out the dihedral without cutting anything in the wing. I left the downthrust in the motors, it seemed to be happy with it. This plane would be ideal for the new Spread Spectrum sustem.
Jun 16, 2006, 10:30 PM
I had one. The term "Brick-like" comes to mind for the 20-30 foot flight before snapping fuselage in two! Glued it back up. Got another 20-30 foot flight before mashing in for the final time.
Jun 17, 2006, 06:14 PM
Team JR/DFA, KBDD Team Captain
Raidentech has them for $38.00.

I bought one and have flown it twice. Mine, so far, has been somewhat challenging to fly, but it does fly. I ended up adding a quarter to the nose to help balance it out and it appears that it could use still more nose weight. Under full power, it wants to zoom up and stall. When it stalls, it wants to drop the left wing. I am experimenting with trimming it better (as one would a free flight model). The glide is pretty flat and nice.

As I fly it more, I will post more. It is a pretty interesting airplane and very inexpensive.

By the way, building it took only about an hour, with the most difficult part being the stickers.
Jun 20, 2006, 01:53 PM
Team JR/DFA, KBDD Team Captain
Up to four flights now. Added a little more nose weight (now up to a nickel and a quarter) and trimmed in a little right rudder as someone had suggested by cutting the rudder free at the bottom.

It is flying a little better with each flight as it gets closer to being trimmed properly. The manufacturer could have made it much better by having counter rotating propellers but for less than $40.00 I am not complaining.

It is flying pretty well now and I am enjoying it.
Jun 24, 2006, 05:16 AM
Fidler & twidler
I tried one some time back.
Stock setup blew my old brain cell - couldnt get my head round the system, but it flew - I couldn't.
Then I junked the rx/esc, fitted 2 4.5g servos on rudder/elevator & GWS nano RX - it flew very well - very scale like steady climb gentle turns - High altitude ' bombing' runs looked very good ( about 8 flights).
Then I had Terminal Brain Failure - forgot to change model on TX, checked controls using the ah yes they move method (fool) & launched - the rudder was reversed
" Anyone got a plastic Bag ? "
Mike

Quick Reply