May 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Okay, it seems like the unidentified object was at 8,000 feet when the JET reported the incident:

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=268287
Found an expanded news cast on YouTube!

UFO Nearly Causes Collision in Denver - May 14, 2012 (2 min 53 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
weisenflymanheimer
ok what is the elevation @ Denver 5,280 feet

this thing was only 2 or 3k off the deck.

Adjust the altimeter dials until the altitude indicated is the same as the local field elevation. Most altimeters have three needles. The longest represents hundreds of feet, the second longest 1,000s of feet, and the shortest tens of 1,000s.

It couldn't have been a sight controlled maybe fpv?
Last edited by snakecrew; May 20, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
May 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecrew View Post
ok what is the elevation @ Denver 5,280 feet

this thing was only 2 or 3k off the deck.

Adjust the altimeter dials until the altitude indicated is the same as the local field elevation. Most altimeters have three needles. The longest represents hundreds of feet, the second longest 1,000s of feet, and the shortest tens of 1,000s.

It couldn't have been a sight controlled maybe fpv?
You are so correct! I keep forgetting that Denver is the Mile High City!

Good catch!
May 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
Suspended Account
First time back on Zion in a few months today. Was great to fly with Graham and Bert. Our little one is due any day now, so next time I see any of you guys I'm gonna be a Dad!
May 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
Human Like You
Good stuff today, Gents. Zion was a bit all over the place, but we had some good lift and speed at times. It's nice to get that Spyder out and rip around some.

-G
May 21, 2012, 04:12 AM
Just some clarification on the context surrounding the story above. The elevation near the
location where the incident reported is about 5500 ft, which means they were only at 2500ft AGL
which is easily reachable by just about any type of RC aircraft or bird.
There's an active regional airport only a few miles from the reported area (Cherry Creek State
Park) where there is also an active RC airpark (less then 3 miles, directly line with the end of runway
35R), and a large reservoir attractive to avian wildlife. Of course this story has
been posted about 5 times in the FPV forum because it's now the dumping ground for
all over-hyped media stories about RC, but an FPV plane is just about the least likely thing
to be flying out there, as we have no desire to pay to get into the park, so we can fly over..
nothing of interest, near an airport.

Speaking of FPV, after a whole day of rain Saturday, the sun came out and started
popping clouds off the top of the front range, so I drove up the nearest mountain
and launched into clouds popping off only a few hundred feet up.
FPV - X8 - Cloud hopping (11 min 35 sec)

Oh, and there was an eclipse today..

ian
May 21, 2012, 10:58 AM
Expert At Rapid Deconstruction
Back to the unexplained flying object for a moment...

I was flying a Cessna back toward Boulder from Nebraska about a decade ago at 8,500' and flew just under and nearly ran into a flock of Canadian geese. So, big birds can fly high.

... Greg
May 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
If it flies, I will crash it
Very nice Ian. That was a very pleasant one to watch. Have to love this time of year, green is one of my favorite colors.

Rob...
May 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hine View Post
Back to the unexplained flying object for a moment...

I was flying a Cessna back toward Boulder from Nebraska about a decade ago at 8,500' and flew just under and nearly ran into a flock of Canadian geese. So, big birds can fly high.

... Greg
The last couple of weeks I've been seeing a lot of big white storks around here. They appear to have a wingspan up to 7/8 feet. And they're VERY bright white.
May 21, 2012, 06:45 PM
They're pelicans, and you're right about the wing span (there are two of them in the reservoir in front of my place right now). They'll fly over the front range no problem, so that means at least 10/11K feet. They're white with a black stripe on the bottom of their wing tips. So they could easily be mistaken for an rc aircraft.
May 22, 2012, 08:17 PM
Expert At Rapid Deconstruction
Another TFR (temporary flight restriction) for Wednesday:

A new FDC NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the greater Denver, CO metropolitan area for Wednesday, 5/23 from 1:30p until 5:00p MDT. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Outdoor Radio Controlled model aircraft operations are prohibited within the 32nm circle for the specific times listed below. Control Line and Free Flight modelers should use discretion and follow the directions of local law enforcement and government officials when operating within the 8 and 10nm inner circles. Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information.
Timely alerts are also available on the web at: www#modelaircraft#org/membership/clubs/notams#aspx or on your cell phone at: Twitter#com/amagov#
See the link to the TFR below for more detailed information regarding the restrictions:
• Area 1 (5/23, 1:30p – 5:00p MDT)
(32nm radius from Latitude: 39º42’39”N, Longitude: 104º54'10"W)
• Area 2 (5/23, 1:30p – 2:30p MDT)
(8nm radius from Latitude: 39º42’14”N, Longitude: 104º45'45"W)
• Area 3 (5/23, 2:00p – 4:45p MDT)
(10nm radius from Latitude: 39º44’12”N, Longitude: 105º00'14"W)
• Area 4 (5/23, 4:00p – 5:00p MDT)
(8nm radius from Latitude: 39º42’14”N, Longitude: 104º45'45"W)
TFR - 2/2931
Map View of the Affected Area: http://02b954f.netsolhost.com/amatfr11.html
Regards

Government Relations Support Team
May 23, 2012, 10:02 AM
DS carnivore!
Nice post Ian! (ended with a nice, cushy landing)
May 23, 2012, 11:01 AM
Dean
What are you guys using for viewing these videos? I just had to get a new computer 'cause my old one burnt up. (Sounded like the crackle we get from the guard rail up on Zion when the storms move in) I dread haveing to use Adobe 'cause the damn thing is always updating. Bad enough I have to use it for PDFs. I downloaded VLC already. Says I need a browser that supports native H.264

W-7 EX-9
May 23, 2012, 02:22 PM
Diggin the Foam
Holy Moly.... Where has the time gone?? Hello all from my little world of stressfull employment and Daddy duty.

I have begun the work on my Glacier Ridge birds and the Surachi. Almost went out flying last week but the wind was gone when I got ready.

Hope everyone is keeping them in the air and hope to see everyone again soon on the hill. The itch needs scratchin!

Atleast I have been able to take the boy fishing and tree climbing.

Mike
Last edited by Tonasty; May 24, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
May 23, 2012, 10:02 PM
RC Connectors dot com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hine View Post
Another TFR (temporary flight restriction) for Wednesday:

A new FDC NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the greater Denver, CO metropolitan area for Wednesday, 5/23 from 1:30p until 5:00p MDT. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area.
Yea, heard that Obama was headed up to Denver today for a fundraising gig after the AFA Graduation ceremony.

I got stuck this morning not being able to get onto I-25 right as his motorcade was coming thru. They even blocked off a road that goes under the freeway, with a very tall bridge, I assume in case someone wanted to blow it up.

Man, what a headache that must be, a rolling complete shutdown of the freeway and side streets everywhere he goes.

When he left the AFA Graduation he even had air support on his way to Denver (large helis).

Quick Reply