Mar 10, 2006, 04:00 AM
Suspended Account
As I expected, the wind was blowing, I was flying on Zion, and the free rangers were nowhere in sight. I'm sure they'll blame work and wives and kids, but we know they're just yellow.

[/smack]

It was odd, seemed to be comming up the switchbacks, and if you flew out over that point that juts out, there was air, but if you flew over that endless ditch to the left, it was super turblent. I got the bee out there and the s-15 for a while, saw the s-15 just eat up sky back there and thought 'there isn't much room back here" then headed home.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2006, 04:09 AM
Actually I headed up to Zion a little after 4pm and it was super
turbulent and sinky (too NW) and you weren't there. I hung around till about
10 till 5 in cruddy air and decided to head up to the Powerlines (which
seemed like it would have been rockin about the time I left the house). Got
to the Powerlines and it was dead still. Like totally dead. Meanwhile I
could see it was blowing 20-25mph 2 miles upwind and 3 of the big
windmills were turning (against their brakes) and there was a dust storm at
the concrete plant. Sigh.
Checked back with BMS and it indicated a shift to the SW.
Since it wasn't blowing at the Powerlines I turned around
and drove the 25 miles back to Zion, and flew general crud
until it was too dark to fly. Just missed ya.

ian
Mar 11, 2006, 10:21 AM
there is no spoon...
Bummer weather! I got my P-Bee all ready for it's first "slope chuck" too.

Live to fly another day...
Mar 11, 2006, 05:51 PM
IknowIknowIknowIknow.

I got the new Blade all programmed, and I've only got to float it around in 10-15 winds, just enough to show that everything works. I've been

waitingwaitingwaitingwaiting

for 3 days for this dang fog and snow and cold stable air to get blown away.

I need to go out and crash something. Then I'll have something to fix til the west wind blows........
Mar 11, 2006, 05:53 PM
Don't worry. I'm sure it'll be sunny and windy early some weekday/workday..

ian
Mar 11, 2006, 08:47 PM
No Plane - No Gain
Yep, Betsy made me work late today down in Golden, so I headed up to Zion about 4:30-ish. No-one to be found so I headed up towards Lafayette to pick up my daughter.
Just had to stop at the Powerlines because the wind was just the right direction albeit not quite lifty enough.

I flew the 1-D back and forth a few times, more scratching but maintaining eye level. Then I hit one of those T posts trying to land. Pulled the aft screw right through the wing, but no serious damage.
Mar 11, 2006, 08:59 PM
there is no spoon...
Tommarrow looks good here in Pueblo. 15-20 SSW Perfect for my Ninja! (I love that plane) Also going to maiden the P-Bee. If it isn't snowing, I'm there! If it is snowing, I'm there!

Just wondering, How much should my P-Bee weigh? I'm in the neiborhood of 24 oz. (My fish scale isn't perfect)

Aaron
Mar 11, 2006, 09:01 PM
24oz sounds about 4-5oz heavy but it'll fly.

ian
Mar 11, 2006, 09:37 PM
there is no spoon...
Just checked with friends "good" scale. 20.5 OZ not too bad I guess.
Mar 11, 2006, 10:40 PM
Where's the wind?
Snowing pretty good up here right now. I just got back from hockey and the roads were snow covered. Probably 1 inch and hour or so. I played two back to back iron man games and ended up pulling or tearing a muscle in my lower back. I doubt I'll be down tomorrow whatever the weather. Time to find and Aleve bottle.

Andrew
Mar 12, 2006, 09:36 AM
The Predator
Cap-
Your bee is a tad heavy for a floater but, it WILL RIP at that weight in anything but super weak lift and you will be stoked! The only SMALL weakness you will have is recovering in really light lift, which is a tough deal no matter what. Hopefully you'll be in the area by next weekend and we can do some BATTLE FIELD testing!!!
Sorry I have not been to active with the groups lately, kind-a slow here right now anyway. I and working hard to build 2 new websites for both RC's and paragliding. A bunch of work. In a week or so you can check out the new sites. I think it will be named FOAMFURY.com and as before Paraglide Colorado!!! I'll be producing a few videos and of course a SHOPING cart as well as some other useful info like local weather and events!!!
If you guys have any REALLY stupid and silly/easy to remember names for the RC site I'm all ears!!!
Mar 12, 2006, 12:56 PM
there is no spoon...
Well, here I go! SSW at 15-20, just like predicted! A little cold though, but I got my sno board jacket.

And, I'm back! What a day! 20MPH + Ninja = FUN! A little cold though. Bee flew well. I had a horn come loose on one of the elevons. It also seemed a little "fluttery" in the pitch axis while pulling into the wind. A little tail heavy? I need a little more prctice with it. The wind slowed before changing direction. 8MPH by my trustly Weather Channel wind guage, and the Bee just kept flying! Not "primo" but it kept on going. If anyone has some pointers, please let me know. It's a strange thing flying a wing. My first time to be exact. Also weird not to have a rudder. I found myself pushing the left stick with no response. Ever since I started flying choppers I just can't seem to leave the rudder alone..
Last edited by Cap232ac; Mar 12, 2006 at 02:44 PM.
Mar 13, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hey guys! I just moved to Colorado Springs from SoCal. This may be a dumb question, but where exactly is Zion? Looking for slopes to fly and I don't mind a drive. Also, MiguelC where is your local slope? Something in the Springs would be great! Looking forward to getting on the slope...any slope.
Mar 13, 2006, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap232ac
It also seemed a little "fluttery" in the pitch axis while pulling into the wind. A little tail heavy?
If you put it into a dive, got hands off, and it basically goes straight,
then the CG is good. Your elevator rates are probably too high. When the
CG is really dialed on the Bee, your elevator rates should be less than 30%.

Quote:
Also weird not to have a rudder. I found myself pushing the left stick with no response.
We mix high rate rudder into ailerons for the Bee, and then run a pretty
low rate on the aileron stick. That way it flies very smooth at high
speeds and when you want a ridiculous roll rate, just
push both sticks over. Can use it for quick maneuvers in combat as well
and the reflex to push both sticks the same direction doesn't hurt
anything since it's the same motion with full house glider.

ian
Mar 13, 2006, 01:59 AM
there is no spoon...
Well it must be the rates, I got them full tilt. I did the basic tests, just never flown a wing before. The mixing sounds like a good idea. I had noticed after pushing across the face of the slope and pulling up into the wind, the nose would pitch up and down about 1/4 inch or so very quickly, then it would smooth out when turned for he next pass. Like I said, I just need more practice with the thing.

Quick Reply