Mar 07, 2006, 12:39 PM
there is no spoon...
Karl: I'm sticking with what you suggest, this is my first wing afterall.

LavaWing: Try a local Beer distributor. I used to work for Bud, and we had 4mil and 2mil Coroplast. Only cost me $10 for a plywood sized sheet. Probobly "hook you up" for next to nothing!

MrInosent: you sir, seem wise beyond your years. (complement)
P.S. I miss Cali.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2006, 12:52 PM
Diggin the Foam
ZION 0-19mph W 11:52am
Mar 07, 2006, 01:18 PM
Ya, but by 5 weather undreground is predicting east.
Doesn't do any good to know what the wind is doing at noon if
you're not actually going to get out there any fly in it at noon.

ian
Mar 07, 2006, 01:21 PM
Modelrater Deluxe
Lava,
Try a sign shop or a plastic supplier I don't know if anyone in GJ has the 2mm coro but they should have lots of 4mm.

Dale
Mar 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
there is no spoon...
WOW! 25-30 NNW here today! I need to get the foam flying soon. Does too much damage to the poor Ninja. I slamed her into the lip when I got blown into it on a speed run for a pump. Only tore a chunck out of the nose though. Guess I need to glass it.

P.S. I work nights. Aaron
Mar 07, 2006, 01:34 PM
Diggin the Foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Ya, but by 5 weather undreground is predicting east.
Doesn't do any good to know what the wind is doing at noon if
you're not actually going to get out there any fly in it at noon.

ian

Just Dreamin, I know good and well that the wind will stop as soon as I get to the switch backs. or when I decide to leave work at 3:30. Just getting myself setup for a letdown and waiting for a test to finish.
Mar 07, 2006, 02:01 PM
PWP!
wrong button, wrong button...eaaahhhhhhh. man, that's a post I'll never get back.

Wish I were in Colorado.
Mar 07, 2006, 02:03 PM
PWP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoPimp Combat Skunkworks
...and after the winglet is screwed in, attach the "Spinning Blades of Death" to the end of the carbon fiber tube.

Mar 07, 2006, 02:17 PM
No Plane - No Gain
Just returned to the office after a quick flight at the Powerlines. Man it's rockin' out there right now. NW 25 - 35. The 1-D never flew so well.

Nick had set up some poles so I got to try my hand at some laps going for best time. (No timers present, but perceived time was fun enough). Another first for me and yet another skill I need lots of practice in.

The fun potential is limitless though.
Mar 07, 2006, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
Yeah, I flew over Zion probably about 11:30-11:45... looked empty, and I know the wind was howling when we took off at DIA.

Was hoping to see little spec's of neon colors flying around down there.
Mar 07, 2006, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajroahkni
...and after the winglet is screwed in, attach the "Spinning Blades of Death" to the end of the carbon fiber tube.

Ahhhh, much clearer now!
Mar 07, 2006, 10:02 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Thanks for the coroplast-finding tips, guys! I'll check the sign shops. I'll check the beer garden. If I don't find any, I may have to let you hook me up, Grahm. I might even be in Denver in a week or so.
Mar 07, 2006, 10:32 PM
Suspended Account
Yeah, I go to a local sign shop on occasion and pick up their scraps, of course they charge for them... but it isn't too bad.
Mar 08, 2006, 12:26 AM
Predator, I appreciate your thoughts and experiments but that fin barely extends past the elevons. I respect you, your builds, and great piloting skills but really, whos being condescending here? Like I said I don't know why I bothered posting all that if I was going to get a reply like

"We have already gone full circle with the proposals you are suggesting. It would be cool if you were a bit less condecending about it though."

I'm not trying to be competitive, like you said it helps to work together to create the best wings out there.

once the coroplast mount gets flute damage then we're S.O.L

I personally would LOVE to see a coro mount built the way I reccomended get damaged, or loose for that matter because it hasn't happened to me yet. I'm not turning this in to a CA vs. CO thread and in fact I'd rather it didn't turn in to that. I don't use drywall tape on the fin itself, just CA the fin & sometimes the sub fin to the Carbon tube/rod then apply a LIGHT layer of glass on that. The drywall tape doesn't do too much for balsa but works wonders on epp. I posted that not to say "my way is better than yours" but to let someone try another option, a question was asked and I answered with DETAIL.

justin
Mar 08, 2006, 12:41 AM
It's simple. Build a Bee or Thruster with a 5 inch tall, 9 inch long center fin that
weighs no more than 19oz and can take 20 or 30 hard combat hits in an
afternoon without becoming disabled or ending up on the ground more than
50% of the time and we'll reconsider the idea. Yes a center fin
wing is faster. Yes it rolls quicker. But when we build combat wings,
combat is the priority and I haven't seen a center fin (especially
one made of balsa) that can hold up to real combat. Either the fin is too
small and the plane flat spins on impact every time, or they're too big, and
vulnerable, and require a lot of nose weight to balance. Experience
has shown that light, fast and strong beat heavy, fast and breakable
every time.

ian

Quick Reply