Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 16, 2018, 12:09 AM
Where's the wind?
Gone old school tonight.

Working on my Yellow Jacket RES 2M build.

All laser cut kit which means not a lot of sanding which is good. Wearing my dust mask for hours on end isn't very comfortable.

Goal is 14 - 16oz ready to fly.

Center panel with spoiler servo is 94 grams. Must have used too much glue. I haven't tried to build super light balsa plane in 20 years.

Andrew

to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2018, 06:20 AM
Very sensible mods. A great example of saving a little bit here and a little bit there and having it all add up. Judd Kleinman and I both bought KnifeEdge wings from the guys in Ohio. They do things somewhat differently with their wings which have a lot of built in inherent flex for repeated poundings and hits. The spars are very resilient compared to a ribbon spar in a Bee. Downside is that serious DS is probably out of the question and using more traditional build techniques, the AUW came out at 27 ounces! A couple maiden tosses this weekend off a slight incline had me surprised though as it flew lighter than the weight would suggest. Still though...a lighter Bee will have a huge advantage.

Andrew, that kit looks cool. I haven't built a balsa kit in 20 years I think. Are we going to see you over on the Western Slope in a couple weeks? Put a tow hook in that little bird and it'll be perfect at Garvin Mesa.
Apr 16, 2018, 10:54 PM
And Repairs

JW Plank question

A laminating film question for you plank flyers and builders. For rash protection, Iím trying to decide whether to put lam film on just the LE or also cover most of the bottom of the wing with lam film. (On top of the Ultracoat).

This JW60 is nearly finished. It will mostly be flown in Kansas (a few rocks, but not bad) and some in Colorado. Someday hopefully I can DS it, but tried to keep it fairly light for frontside flying. Will be a few ounces heavier than Iíd hoped ó looks like it will take about 6 ounces in the nose to balance, so will end up about 45 ounces.

Covered with minimal tape, 5 mil lam film then Ultracoat. Any thoughts about final exterior laminating film protection?
Iíve got 3 mil, 5 mil and 10 mil. Leaning toward 5 mil.

Iím asking here since you guys know about protecting foamies from rock rash.
Thanks
Ty
Apr 16, 2018, 11:30 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
I personally would go with the 10 mil just on the leading edge and then less lead
Apr 17, 2018, 06:01 PM
Where's the wind?
Who is flying this blast today? 2 trees down in my yard so far. Fortunately not on any structure but close.

Finished up the Yellow Jacket wing assembly. Currently at 181 grams.

Apr 17, 2018, 06:21 PM
I flew at NCAR for about an hour this morning with the Halfpipe but it was pretty hairy gusting to 35 and then back to 10 and sometimes going west.

RC Bill, that was me flying that unfinished homemade wing on Sunday afternoon. I attempted to copy SpeedsterDen's Wiesel airfoil but my first attempts at hotwire cutting were pretty rough. When I saw the wind go South I taped the tail and nose on temporarily for some test glides. I didn't think it would acutally fly but I was really happy with how much fun it was considering I thought it was probably going into the trash. The bushes really liked it as well- I will have to get some tape or covering on it.
Apr 17, 2018, 07:29 PM
I came awfully close to breaking 300 on my rinky dink DS hill 5 minutes from home. Got to 278 with the D80 and had some missed reads that looked visually faster than that. Just 10 minutes after flying the valley filled with blowing dust and the winds really came on. Hmmm....could have been the push needed to get over 300!
Apr 17, 2018, 08:34 PM
Where's the wind?
Big winds on the front range. 9 News said 89mph a few miles west of my place.

Congrats on the DS run. 300 good for Colorado.

Tree down count is now 3 and parts of my fence has been ripped apart around the pool. My shop was getting pelted all afternoon with branches and bark from the big dead tree by the horse barn. One large widow maker off that big dead tree took out another tree by the side garden. Just missed the neighbors storage barn.

It's calmed down a bit but still ripping good.

Phil's Boulder wind meter (cinder block on a piece of chain) would be working well today.
Last edited by the_canuck; Apr 17, 2018 at 08:40 PM.
Apr 17, 2018, 09:22 PM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon 2
I personally would go with the 10 mil just on the leading edge and then less lead
Thanks. 10 mil on LE is a good idea.
Regarding expected AUW of about 45 ounces - I did add some carbon skewers in the coroplast tail fin and covered it with 3 mil lam film and Ultracoat for some durability. Fin weighs about 1 1/2 ounces and isnít glued on yet. So if I cut a new bare coroplast fin I can probably shave a couple of ounces total (including nose weight).
So pondering that now.
Leaning toward sticking with the tail durability and 45 ounces.
What Iím after is a plank for front side flying in winds more than 12 mph or so.

Either way, Iím looking forward to flying this thing.

My dad lives in Colorado Springs - he said the dust was so bad today he couldnít see Pikeís Peak.
Apr 17, 2018, 10:05 PM
Ty, if that JW is 45 ounces, I wouldn't worry about shaving any weight. It'll carry that weight well and would be considered a light-middle weight around these parts.

I'm at work and just got done doing a handful of CT scans and x-rays on a couple guys that were in a 5 car pileup on 285 heading north out of Alamosa. The patient showed me pics on his phone and the visibility on the road was almost nil. Scary stuff!
Apr 17, 2018, 10:22 PM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris country
Ty, if that JW is 45 ounces, I wouldn't worry about shaving any weight. It'll carry that weight well and would be considered a light-middle weight around these parts.

I'm at work and just got done doing a handful of CT scans and x-rays on a couple guys that were in a 5 car pileup on 285 heading north out of Alamosa. The patient showed me pics on his phone and the visibility on the road was almost nil. Scary stuff!
Thanks. JWís site threw me because it says a 35 ounces JW60 makes a great front side flyer. But Iím goin with this as is. Gonna be great.
And some day if Iím in the right spot I might strap a little extra lead on in it and try DS.

You guys drive safe.
Apr 17, 2018, 10:32 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Chris knows more about this than me. I just like to build light.
Apr 18, 2018, 01:00 AM
I've got a new to me used D80 that's been in need of dialing in so I chucked it off
the hill at Powerlines in about 45mph, at 42 degree temps. Flew pretty good
for 15 minutes or so until my fingers were frozen. Now I just need to sand it down and
re-paint it, because its colors weren't working for me at all.

Last night I managed to get the bellcrank and pushrod into the Zeus, mostly through
brute force (bend the allthread at the end of the long pushrod to get it up from the
boom through the hole in the vertical, attach the clevis , then rotate it 180 degrees and
bend the allthread back the other way such that it almost returns to straight when
put back down inside the boom. Attach bellcrank to clevis and jam it into the hole,
stick the short pushrod that goes up to up to the pin that drives the full flying stab into
the hole and play a game of Operation to mate the two, then screw the bellcrank down to
its mount. That short pushrod just flops around and is very hard to get to line up with the slot
to get the pin in. I need to figure out some way to limit its fore-aft motion to keep it near
the slot. Maybe drill some small holes through the vertical on either side of the pushrod
and stick some carbon rods or toothpicks through.

That stupid flexible pushrod for the rudder was a major PITA. I pinned it to the side
of the fuse using a bunch of neodymium magnets, and then drooled a bunch of
epoxy down that side of the fuse through the hole for the wing joiner, and smeared
it around with a long piece of flat carbon ribbon. It's pretty well adhered
everywhere except right back near where it exits to go to the rudder, and I couldn't
afford to put adhesive there, because it's almost rubbing on the bottom of
the bellcrank, and I didn't want to accidentally glue them together.

At this point, it's mostly down to servos, horns, linkages and wiring.

Also working on my broken Fazer. One of the servo wires came unplugged inside
the wing at Parker last year (an extra extension I didn't know existed)
and it "landed" wing tip first against a bush which swung it around sideways so fast, it snapped the
boom, and shattered the two carbon pushrods that run through there. The problem is, one of
them is permanently attached to its bellcrank for the horizontal stab, so I have to repair it in-situ..
Apr 18, 2018, 11:29 PM
Sloping is not a crime
Thanks, Brian -

I have this thing that whenever someone is telling me their name I'm concentrating more on remembering MY name and it's over before I catch the name.

Bill Bailey
Apr 18, 2018, 11:35 PM
Where's the wind?
Yellow Jacket progress. Ready to cover.

Quick Reply