Jul 18, 2021, 03:18 PM
Headed up there now.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2021, 09:05 AM
Dean
Was a fun day. Good breeze all afternoon. Couple of printed gliders done by Waynesie. Flew quite well!
Jul 19, 2021, 03:02 PM
Those printed gliders look awesome!
Last edited by rbryansierra; Jul 19, 2021 at 03:07 PM.
Jul 19, 2021, 06:57 PM
Had a great time flying with Ian and Dean.
The 3D printed planes getting better and better. The white one is ready for prime time... this one has an active rudder option.
Here is video of the white one flying, you can sort of hear Dean's comments. Just speed past all of the building stuff.

The yellow one is a first prototype of an extended wing, but flew awesome... looks terrible up close.
Later Ian's Phaser and this yellow one got flushed, hope Ian's Phaser made it. He landed all the way down mostly to the paraglider landing. Mine found a bush and was mostly OK, ready for another day.

SoarKraft Roughgen - Rudder Option - build and fly (8 min 48 sec)
Jul 20, 2021, 07:24 AM
Nice work Waynesie!

Chance
Jul 25, 2021, 12:58 AM
Unsurprisingly, Jones pass is open up to the cornice. There were some really sketchy
steps kicked in, so I cut some good ones with my shovel, which a bunch of other people used.
It was blowing pretty hard from the east all afternoon (15-25mph at the lip).
Flew the Fazer, P51 and 30oz Bee frontside and back.
Jul 29, 2021, 01:11 PM
Nice, I want to make some trips up and do some crashing. I'm racing out at HPR this weekend, vintage car racing weekend, but after that???
Especially after the 18th, my kids go back to school... I can go anytime.

i have a couple of planes designs to refine so it might take a couple of sessions to get anything to go fast, but it should be entertaining.
Aug 07, 2021, 04:41 PM
Where's the wind?
Jones is open. Groove is on! Just barely passable. Snow almost gone.

Just blew up my new heavy LJ72. Bottom turn broken spars at the servo cut out. Guessing around 175mph. It was screaming pretty good before the wing fold.

Very smokey!

Edit: Spars on both wings are broke now that I look closer. I need to move the servo cutouts apparently.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Last edited by the_canuck; Aug 07, 2021 at 04:47 PM.
Aug 08, 2021, 01:55 PM
Where's the wind?
Autopsy results.

Top wing 3 delams of the cloth goop spackle. 2 minor ones at the stress riser caused by the servo cut outs about 1/3 of the span. The main delam happened at the root from LE to TE. Drag spar broke just at the edge of the center joiner. Both ribbon spars failed in compression on top and shear on bottom of the wing in the same area. CA glue failed on the bottom spars as well.

In summary the new build with the 6oz cloth and goop mixed with spackle will need to be adjusted to reinforce the main stress areas to better spread the load. The delam on top occurred at the overlap cloth joint which was only 1.5" of overlap. The delam occurred between the cloth layers not the glue to the foam at the main failure point. I did see some delam at the servo cutouts between the foam and cloth. If the root had held no doubt the next point of failure would have been at the servo cutout.

To be fair a heavy traditional strapping tape build would have probably also failed in the conditions yesterday. There was enough power to break any of my foam builds.

Back to the drawing board. Maybe time to break out some of my old hockey stick handles and make a strong spar for my next "foamy" DS plane.

That plane flew all of 10 mins from maiden to destruction. But it was a fun 10 mins!

Andrew

Aug 10, 2021, 12:02 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_canuck
Maybe time to break out some of my old hockey stick handles and make a strong spar ...
Assuming you mean the hollow CF or glass hockey sticks ... I keep seeing those at Goodwill and thinking there has to be a good R/C use for them. I actually bought one for a "someday" giant scale project. Seems like a hell of a deal for $7.00 even though it's maybe not the lightest & not tapered. You could use it as a joiner tube for a 2-piece wing & sleeve it with a plywood box in the wing structure, no matching glass or aluminum sleeve required. Plus lots of room inside for ballast!

Cheers,
Duane
Aug 10, 2021, 12:17 PM
Maybe stick with the 60" LJ build for DSing Andrew? It's got to be mighty tough to keep a 72" stretched foamie stiff enough for the backside and I can't imagine the performance to be that much greater with another 12"?
Aug 15, 2021, 02:36 PM
Jones will happen soon for me, but could not make it happen today.

Zion is on right now, going to go do maiden flights of five new builds..... the wind is finally good.
five planes + my luck I might be done is 30 min. However I take some video for laughs.
Aug 20, 2021, 09:48 AM

Jones Pass

I traveled to Jones yesterday with my pal George from RMSA(Rocky Mountain Soaring Associstion)
Although wind was light often with rain and some sleet I the road is clear to the top which is great news.
Did some slow motion laps with Karls Outlaw but it never developed. I spoke to Nick late yesterday. According to him this am he has a velocity of 45 up there today.

FYI
Skip
Aug 21, 2021, 05:13 PM
Where's the wind?
LJ72 Slap Shot edition. It will be fun to try and break this spar!

Aug 21, 2021, 06:03 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
I'm lovin' it. Nothing better than value-added recycling.

Just out of curiosity, what does that "spar" weigh?

Thx,
Duane

Quick Reply