Jun 25, 2002, 06:11 PM
Thread OP

The Rare Bears are out at last!

Hobby Lobby has released the Rare Bear indoor/parkflyer Reno Racer at last!

This is about the coolest ultimate application for a GWS IPS A drive that presently exists...

We predict a lot of Lite Sticks will be gathering dust as owners strip them to outfit a Bearcat.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/rarebear.htm
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2002, 07:19 PM
Motor Maniac

Looks very interesting!

Does anyone have one yet? I'm going to search other threads. This is one cool looking plane. This may be a winner.

Who makes this? Is it a FanTasticModels product?
Jun 25, 2002, 09:18 PM
Registered Snoozer
What do you think?
Jun 25, 2002, 10:09 PM
Relearning how to crash.....
I think that with a 3 bladed prop and no landing gear
you should buy a lot of props when you order this plane.

There is no way to have the prop not hit on landing.

Unless it is built out of rubber.

But I will admit it is tempting.

Back in my school days I worked on a p-51 racer called
the Miss America. I worked for the shop that maintained it.
Went to reno twice. Man I can still feel the pounding in my chest
from Rare Bear as it would fly by. Nothing like those big radials
to slap you down.
Jun 25, 2002, 10:24 PM
I first saw Jerry fly the prototype at the Texas SWAC over a year ago. It is one awesome model! For you air racing nuts, he also made the "Super Corsair" and the "Critical Mass" Sea Fury. Jerry is a true artist and it looks like Hobby Lobby was able to reflect that in their mass production. The models raced at scale speeds and slow enough to fly in a double basket court large gym. They were always bellied in with no apparent damage. AND it only used a lite stick GWS motor. Very impressive...

Dan Kreigh
www.WildRC.com
Jun 25, 2002, 10:55 PM
TeamZiering
I bet retracts would be sweet in that plane. The best part is it will work with my current radio, and it has ailerons! I think I just found my new plane! I bet a GWS prop on their would be OK too.

-enigmabomb-
Jun 26, 2002, 06:13 AM
Rare Bear is lookin good.

Is there any chance that the FanTanstik Gee Bee will be put into production?

When I heard there was a new FanTastick Model coming out and it was going to be a racer I was really hoping it would be the Gee Bee. From all reports it flew great at SWAC.

BC
Jun 26, 2002, 07:16 AM
Registered Lifeform
It looks good while flying too! I was lucky enough to build an early prototype and one of the first production kits from Flying Styro.

The three blade prop works perfectly with the recommended six cell pack and is not a problem on landing. If it was easy to break, I would have done so several times. The blades do catch in long grass and stop the plane abruptly, but it has caused no damage to the prop or the plane.

I did fly my prototype on a two blade APC which also worked very well- maybe better. There are scary possibilities for adding more power to this plane, and I expect to see some with wild drive systems.

It just looks superb in the air.
Jun 26, 2002, 08:23 AM
Build'em and Crash'em

I want one

I want one , I want one, I want one.

I have some questions about the setup though.
Can I take the stuff out of my Tiger Moth and put it in this plane?

Is the standard Tigermoth motor the one this plane uses ?

Will my Qualcomms work?

Do I only need 2 servos for it ?

How do I buy extra props? In the picture it looks like you get 3 blades that go into a hub of some sort.

Looks like a sale real soon

Ken
Jun 26, 2002, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind words, Dan.

As everyone will see when the get the kit in the box, it is produced by Flying Styro for Hobby Lobby. FanTastic Models designed it and produced the beta kits.

The updated tooling for the Gee Bee is being worked on nearly every day.... Be patient untill later this year.

Like Paul said, the three bladed prop is not a problem. In grass, it sometimes flips the model, but at 7 oz, it is not an issue. Indoors, in a gym, it slides in on two of the three prop blades and the aft fuse very nicely. The motor stick for the GWS A drive is mounted in a special rubber shock mount on the firewall.

The three bladed prop, the A drive and the 6 cell pack set a near perfect speed for indoor racing, as Dan noted. Outdoors, an APC 8-6 and 7 cells seems to be a little better, at least on the beta kits.

Don Downing has already flown a Rare Bear with retracts, simple home made ones that work great! If there is enough demand, we might work up plans or a little conversion kit.

Yes, your TM motor will work fine, as will all the gear from the TM. Yes, it only needs two servos. We have not tried Qualcomms yet, but have been flying with a different lithium polymer battery that works well.

Spare props are available from Hobby Lobby and lots of other E-flight sources, but we have flown the heck out of them, crashed into the gym walls with them and almost never break props.
Last edited by FanTasticModels; Jun 26, 2002 at 08:41 AM.
Jun 26, 2002, 08:49 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Great, thanks for the info. Looks like just the plane for guys like me getting a bit bored with the TM. Time to break open the piggy bank.

Now I know what to work on while I wait for the RBC Panther jet to hit the shelves at EAM

Ken
Jun 26, 2002, 09:01 AM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Hi All,

My review has been submitted and should be out soon on the E-Zone.

I've never had a problem with the prop. It bends sufficiently and is usually off when landing anyway.

It turns very well, even when slowed way down. Mine weighed 6.7oz RTF.

Nice photos, Paul!

Click here for a larger image.
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Jun 26, 2002, 09:14 AM
Chief Turnip Inspector

Equipment?

Looks great! I clicked through as soon as I saw the ad.

What servos are being used? HS-50/CS-10?

Radio?

ESC? Do you need more than 2 amps?

What prop adaptor for the outdoor APC 8x6 slow fly prop?

What size 6 cell/ 7 cell pack NiCads?

What is the wing span, wing area, current AUW?

I'll be trying the "standard set-up" first, but the AF BL 010 might be a nice fit.

I wonder ifthe GWS retracts would work, or if they're too heavy?
Jun 26, 2002, 10:04 AM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Rear Bear looks cool but Super Corsair sounds better for me!!!

So..........when?
Jun 26, 2002, 10:20 AM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!

I want a rare bear

I want one!!!

Would gws retracts (including servo) and a rudder servo add to much weight for decent performance? Shame its reno I would have preferred a US navy one, but who gives a dam its a Bearcat! Will it be sold in england or will I have to order it from Hobby Lobby?

Thanks Alan

(P.S. If flying styro or fantastic models need a beta tester I would not turn it down! Yeah I wish )

Quick Reply