Feb 27, 2006, 04:08 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Miss Stik as AP platform build

I picked up a Miss Stik kit to transform into my next AP plane, being designed by Tom Hunt I expect it to be an excellent airplane to fly. Even though I like the Slow Stick very much I just wanted something that looked more like a real plane. An AXI 2212/26 will be the power.

I am doing a few mods such as building the camera mount (Pentax S6/Prizm will be used) into the fuse and making the wingtips fold. Reinforcment will be mandatory and that will be done with carbon fiber. I also made the rud/ele a bit larger and added a 1/2" to the wing chord. I thought about flaps but haven't decided on that as of yet, I will probably decide after flying the plane whether I'll ad them or not.

Anyway, this is just a few pics to show where I'm at. If anyone looking this over and have ideas or suggestions please feel free to comment.

I added extra crossbracing to the fuse, and 1x3mm carbon flat stock to the insides of the main fuse crutch. The camera mount is mounted directly to an HS-81mg servo-the sevo horn is permantly part of the mount using epoxy and screws. The other end of the aluminum mount is held by a 1/4" nylon wing bolt epoxied (screws will also be used) to the mount. By removing the servo horn screw and pushing the mount toward the front the mount will be removable if needed. The original fuse formers were used and will not be per plans locations.

The camera will tilt completely from one side to the other in any position along the way using the flap knob on the tx...some pics will be upside-down but that will be fixed on the computer.

I'll ad more to this thread as I go, nothing else real interesting at this time.

-Bob
Last edited by P-51 fan; Feb 27, 2006 at 04:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2006, 05:20 AM
Git-R-Done
If this is the plane you are building... http://www.hobby-lobby.com/miss-stik.htm
it sure looks fragile. The price is right too.

Good luck on the build and mods,
Hermitt
Feb 27, 2006, 05:38 AM
Thread OP
Yeah it is on the fragile side, but it's stronger than it looks. Plus with cf reinforcment I think it will be fine.
Feb 27, 2006, 09:01 AM
Git-R-Done
Yeah, it's amazing how something as light as CF can be so strong.
What gauge aluminum did you use for your camera mount?

Hermitt
Mar 11, 2006, 08:07 AM
Thread OP
Well, I figured I'd add to the thread evn though there isn't much interest...but that's how I like it.

I think I explained everything in the first post, the aluminum for the camera mount is farm supply store stock...1/8"x3/4" (no metric here)

Pictures show folding wing, using left-over clevises and mounts from an old Estarter and carbon rod, hinges are covering material added to the inside of the joint then the outside full length of chord...makes a very strong hinge. Wing has been tested hard on a SS doing continuous loops with no signs of folding. .007"x1/4" flat carbon can be seen on both sides of wing spar, the latter was also built out of spruce completely. Plane is very solid, not nearly as fragile as it was.

Wing folds down to 25" and becomes a solid unit with a rubber band. Need to add rud/ele, steering tailwheel and it should be close to done. Maybe some stripes.

I think that's all.

-Bob
Mar 11, 2006, 09:22 AM
Git-R-Done
That's a real nice looking plane Bob.
What do you estimate the AUW to be?

Hermitt
Mar 11, 2006, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
As it sits in the pictures it weighs 16.5oz with motor and two servos

Total should be around 25 RTF I'd guess...HL says 22 for stock version, so not too bad.
Mar 12, 2006, 05:23 AM
Thread OP
Had an extra Glowire system so I installed it, everything but the actual wire is removable...looks cool

RTF weight is 23.5 oz w/o camera mount
25 with Glowire system installed
26.5 with camera mounted

Quick Reply