This thread is privately moderated by BeeDee, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 24, 2006, 07:32 PM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Thread OP
Discussion

All the cool kids are doing it!!!

After seeing some of my flying buddies past and present make entries to their blogs, I decided that I would start working on mine....

If you haven't met me or flown at one of the sites that I frequent... I will give you the lowdown.. I started flying in May of 2003, just a few months after I got out of the Air Force.

My first "real" job was at Allied Aerospace working on VTOL UAVS. I was really blessed to work with some of the greatest guys, most of whom were great pilots. In particular getting tips and coaching from Jack Chambers, Larry Jolly and Dave Yost (a very funny guy) who taught me that "if the minimums weren't good enough, they wouldn't be the minimums" LOLOL. After a huge reduction in force (RIF) @ Allied, I got a job working at L-3 Communications. I started out doing avionics mods on H-1's (Hueys and Cobras). After about a year of being stuffed in a tailboom most days (you should see a tub like me, feet dangling), I put in for a salary position. For the last year or so I have been managing the H-46 project, first at Miramar and now at Camp Pendleton. I enjoy the work, and especially like being around an airfield all the time... My boss is great, and there is always some sort of challenge that has to be met..

As far as flying, I started with a lil' electric, and then got an electric wing... once I figured out that you could fly without motors I started building and flying gliders.. I went from a Raider, to a moth... to another moth.. and then I bought a PSS ship from Bill L who had done everything but paint it.. By that time I had DS'ed my moth, and been flying for over a year... I thought I had some skills... but when I took the controls from RayH (who helped me on my first flight at Fermin) I realized that I was a small fish in a big pond. Not just in flying skills, but in building as well...

So these days, I build PSS stuff to fly at Fermin... I have a Mach Dart, a Hades (F3B/F) and for good DS days at Vincent and Parker I have a 2M extreme.. My PB is a paltry 159mph, most of the guys I fly with have gone a lot faster... After my last trip watching Gary Legerton go 200 with relative ease... I realized I have a lot of practice laps ahead of me...

Well I suppose that is a decent start.. I have a build thread for a BAe Hawk that is "in progress"... I will jump back and forth between here and there....

BeeDeezy!
Last edited by BeeDee; Feb 24, 2006 at 07:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply