Feb 24, 2006, 03:52 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Thread OP
Download

Templates & Masks for Painting 3D Foamies

Hello All!

Thanks to BlueCore_Basher out 3D Foamies are looking better and better all the time! There are some great graphic designs out there and some great paint jobs being done. Some are completed with "Rattle Cans" and some with Air Brushes and still others with a combination of methods. I am proposing this thread as a central location where we can post templates for down loading that we have used, in a form that others can take advantage of, and allow any and all who like our efforts to use them use them. If the thread takes off, then I would like to request that it be made a sticky.

Hopefully BlueCore Basher and Broken Laser will chime in and posts some of their designs here!

Couple of Suggestions:[Rules?]
  • IF you use any of these templates, please give credit to their author in any posts and maybe a link back to this thread!

Thank You For Your Time!
Lets Start throwing some Paint Around!
Last edited by GorillaBob; Feb 24, 2006 at 04:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2006, 03:59 PM
Thread OP

First Free Template

Shlop!

My Shlop template was designed to be used in my new vinyl cutter. Although designed for a vinyl cutter, there is no reason that you can't cut it out and past it on some heavy paper or poster board. It is saved as a Windows Meta File, which preserves the raster image in a way that can still be manipulated. Although the design looks all squished together, it is quite easy to move the individual pieces around until the layout suits the design of your aircraft.
Last edited by GorillaBob; Feb 28, 2006 at 05:29 PM.
Feb 24, 2006, 06:47 PM
Ok, i got software that can transform it in seconds to dxf let me know, i'll convert it fast. It took me long enough to save this, and open and convert, then i had to zip it. If the original is 1 or 2 colors, it's fast, if it's layers of colors it takes time, but can do.
Feb 25, 2006, 12:02 AM
Thread OP
Thank You BroKen Laser! I wasn't sure what format would be most appropriate for the users. I guess a dual format would be good. One format that could just be tile printed and cut out and one for those with vinyl cutters and such.
Feb 27, 2006, 03:12 PM
Thread OP

Ripped Covering on Wing

Rip It!

Here is my second Paint Mask. This mask wasn't used on the wing below because I didn't have time to finish it before I started painting. The wing below was painted using a paper template i cut out of file folders but it is the same idea. The extra sections at the bottom can be rearranged to provide more or less holes and more or less fragments flying off the upper section. I Didn't make any other parts for the tail, fuse, or canopy sections but these could be used there, just be sure to think about what part you need to get the paing or no paint where you want!
Last edited by GorillaBob; Feb 28, 2006 at 05:40 PM.
Feb 28, 2006, 05:38 PM
Thread OP

Flame-O-Rama

Flaming Hot!

Here is my latest Paint Mask. There are no special sections other than the wing layout. If I get time or a special request, I may make some to go along with these. These have not been tested on a plane yet. If you give them a try, please let us know how they work out!

PS. I changed the zip files on the first masks because I forgot to turn off the outlines. duuugh... It doesn't matter if you are making paper masks but if you are using a vinyl cutter, it cuts the outline seperate from the remaining parts.
Mar 01, 2006, 02:21 PM
I like your templates very much!!
I'll try them this weekend on the wing of my new foamy...
thanks
Ciao Simone
Mar 01, 2006, 03:18 PM
ProBro # 501
Bob...I want to do the flames but I want to paint the colors on later...can you give me the flames outlines..??

Boss
Mar 01, 2006, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
Hey Boss, what graphics programs you have available? If you have the right one, you can open the file and edit it, or if you would prefer, tell me the wing span and I can make it into a PDF file.
Mar 01, 2006, 07:26 PM
Flyer of R/C Planes
Here is GorillaBobs Hot Flames in .eps format.

Right-click and save to hard drive:
Hot Flames.eps
Mar 01, 2006, 09:21 PM
Boss here is Bob's flames in .dxf and .jpg, as outlines, and to Bob, awesome, I'll send you pics tomorrow of something cool I did at work today with the flaming design
Mar 01, 2006, 09:40 PM
Thread OP
Cool BrokenLaser!
Mar 02, 2006, 05:24 PM

What can be done

Ok Bob, took a couple pics, a test piece of what we are trying to get into at work. I'ts your design, modified a bit for the 3" exhaust pipe. This was cut on a laserdyne 780, the piece is setting on my newest machine, Mazak Space Gear 48. As i said it was only a test piece to try out some new macros i wrote for our cam software. Your design was perfect for it as it was a lot less complex than some of the stuff I am working on for show samples. It let me know my macro works without having to dump the memory on the machine.

Thanks Bob

Brokenlaser

P.S. Also here is a full res pic of a laser etching of mine i did for kicks, currently working on wrapping it around a pipe, this is what i was testing for. It's sitting on a plane your not allowed to see till done, lol
Last edited by brokenlaser; Mar 02, 2006 at 06:05 PM.
Mar 02, 2006, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
That is awesome brokenlaser! I love how the floater flames look down on the pipe. Very nice work. Cool job you got there! I like the dragon. Do the cuts go all the way through or just enough to etch the surface?

Quick Reply