Feb 24, 2006, 02:36 PM
Hold my beer.....
Thread OP
Cool

Finally breaking down some mental barriers!

I have been logging anywhere from 30min to 1.5 hours each day this week flying one of my Trex's. I am finally getting to the point where various heli orientaions don't bother me anymore. I am able to do all kinds of FF and FFF in tight spots, fly directly at me, quickly stop from FFF without changine altitude, etc. Things are finally starting to click, kinda like when the lightbulb came one and I could suddenly hover........
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2006, 02:56 PM
Vampyre Inc
Yeah that is the best feeling when you can realy fly without all the shakes and jitters.
Feb 24, 2006, 06:03 PM
rc fanatic
It's a great feeling indeed. Finally last night I really nailed down nose in hover. I had been able to fly towards myself without any problem but when it came to keeping the helicopter stationary in hover with it facing me, I would always mess up. Last night I actually did a large part of one battery pack with it facing me!! I was pretty thrilled... although I'm sure this is probably nothing for you guys. Next I hope to work on doing some stall turns.
Feb 24, 2006, 08:55 PM
If I remember correctly you have two Rex, looking to add a third. I think that helps to free up the jitters also. I know it helps me.

But, putting as many hours close together, as you have been doing lately, helps most.

Keep it up Dude.
It just keeps getting better.

Jim
Feb 24, 2006, 10:25 PM
Hold my beer.....
Thread OP
1 X Trex 450X
1 X Trex 450XL with flybarless 4-blade head - still tuning
1 X Revo CP
1 X JR Voyager E - brushless lipo
1 X Eco 8 - all metal, still under construction

Yeah, it's nice to be able to fly around and not get disoriented. Guess nose-in is next.
Feb 24, 2006, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky47
I have been logging anywhere from 30min to 1.5 hours each day this week flying one of my Trex's. I am finally getting to the point where various heli orientaions don't bother me anymore. I am able to do all kinds of FF and FFF in tight spots, fly directly at me, quickly stop from FFF without changine altitude, etc. Things are finally starting to click, kinda like when the lightbulb came one and I could suddenly hover........

Any tips? I know for me when the very light powerfull 3D BL planes came out being able to "puch-out" of trouble was key, after that I could (and still can) almost do anything with these planes ,to the point it's almost boaring. I still don't feel "connected" with the heli's like fixed wings, perhaps it's the gyro aspect (or my lack of set-up skills). I remember when I flew my friends sons trainer with a co-pilot module, it was weird when the electronics took over the controls. I'm gonna have to get used to that, and the idle-up mode. I'm sure when it clicks it'll be worth it.
Feb 24, 2006, 11:19 PM
Hold my beer.....
Thread OP
My main thing was feaking out and freezing up when the heli was in any orientation other than tail-in. One thing to keep in mind, I have never used a HH gyro - I have learned to fly the tail.

On a side note, after messing with the helis, it is noticably easier to hover my foamies.....
Feb 25, 2006, 12:48 AM
Mad Heli Scientist
Just think, once you have nose in sorted and you get bored then you can try inverted and do it all over again

Shannon.
Feb 25, 2006, 10:59 AM
Sunday Flier
Good for you, I love that feeling when you finally manage to do in real life what you already know you can, since you've done it a hundred times in the sim.

And rc is no different from full scale - the more you fly, the better you get.

Quick Reply