Jul 14, 2016, 04:58 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensstern
Sure Eddie. I don't have the plane here but I still have a few building pics.

The inlets are some sort of "open duct system" because the nacelle inlets are apprx. 64mm and the EDF is 70mm. I put the EDFs slightly backwards and painted the gap flat black inside so cosmetically it becomes invisible. I guess for a non high-performance plane it's fine.

The nacelle mounting idea: I have two 10x10mm squared spares going through the fuselage. They are sheeted top/bottom with balsa later on and give me some space for the wires going from the fus. to the nacelles. The rear 10x10 spar takes the thrust tube with a simple hardwood ring (earlier pic). The forward spar takes doubled half-circled hardwood pieces - some sorts of beds for the EDFs. The doubled half-circles take hardwood blocks to allow the EDF mounting screws going in. It's simple. I believe I have stolen the idea from somebody else in the internet.

Oh btw, the nacelles were cut into a front piece and rear piece later on. The front piece goes off into flying direction and the longer aft piece slides off backwards.

I'll take better pics asap.
Jens, any progress on your MD-80?
Latest blog entry: RC 737 Max 7 Maiden flight!
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 09:12 PM
I'm still waiting to begin mine. I waited for WOW to hopefully reopen, but it doesn't seem like he will. I was hoping to buy the whole kit, but was only able to buy the nacelles and a couple other plastic parts back then. Is there a place to buy the precut foam for the fuse and wings?

I know it has been awhile, but life happens!! Hoping to start this summer on it.
Thanks!
May 22, 2019, 05:35 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I understand, I wish I was still cutting foam parts but the shipping companies invented volumetric shipping charges.
This made it impossible to get feather light boxes to people without costing an arm and a leg.
Enough to make me stop.
It is simply too expensive .
Jul 22, 2019, 05:59 AM
Demondriver, oh well yes the plane is long time finished and flys like a charm. Honestly I totally forgot about my post here. I am going to update you ASAP with my result. Keith, my greetings from germany.
Jul 22, 2019, 06:02 AM
Demondriver, oh well I totally lost tracking of this thread.

The plane is long time finished and flies superb. I did many flights untill one ESC gave up (on ground - not in air). Since then it's sitting in my hangar waiting for some electrics update. I am going to add some pics ASAP.

-Jens
Jul 25, 2019, 02:57 PM
If there's any hopes of reviving this kit, I am totally in! As a driver of the Mad Dog and a life-long RC flyer, having a Delta Mad Dog in my personal fleet is a necessity.
Jul 28, 2019, 07:27 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
jensstern , I'm still flying my second 80 on the original motors and 30 amp ESC's.
The batteries have become so much better I have switched from 3700 MAH to 3 cell 5000.
the flying time is crazy long now.
If you try a stronger motor please post it.
There is nothing like extra power
Aug 19, 2019, 05:56 PM
Official Boat Bum
Good to hear your Super80 is still flying Sparks!
Aug 19, 2019, 07:15 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Now that I have a 737 and a tiny 787 I'll probably put it back on this falls fly list .
Aug 20, 2019, 05:47 AM
My MD80 is using some WEMOTEC mini evo fans on a single 6S 4000 and still feels a bit like a floater in the air. Don't by shy adding some more weight if you are on 3S pusher prop. Motors are the black Dr. MadThrust Inrunners even though I cannot remember the specs out of my mind right now. I agree the plane doesn't need too much power but I have quite a short paved runway. Once airborn I can throttle back even while climbing.

Jens
Aug 20, 2019, 09:42 AM
Are the plans still for sale for the MD80? How difficult is it to cut the foam parts?
Yesterday, 06:22 PM
I just started scratch building Keiths Mad Dog. Just read where AA retired all their Super 80's last month or was it this month? I am cutting my own foam parts. Got the 2" purple Owens Corning foam from Home depot for like $40 a sheet. Best foam I have used. Cuts real good and easy to sand. I make molds so I thought about making the molds for the fuse but last kits I have for sale have been tough to sell because not to many people build anymore. Seeing if I can stuff 90mm fans in it. Retracts for sure.
Today, 12:16 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
90's
I hope you can work them in.
70's is the largest so far.
The fans have gotten so much better I'll go that direction on the next MD-80.
Today, 12:45 PM
Did some checking on the nacelles and might be able to do 80mm. Other than making a slightly bigger nacelle and do a little cheating.

Quick Reply