Jun 19, 2007, 07:19 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Stone dammage

If you will be flying your MD-80 off of a grass strip with small stones I'd recommend about 2 additional ply's of .5 cloth to the area in the prop arc path.

My tail skid is set for paved surfaces, this allows the props to contact the ground if it is uneven.
The L/H prop tip launches crap off the ground and shoots it against the fuselage.
Damage is minimal but still an eye sore.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2007, 07:22 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Here are some shots Ken Spenser took of the 80 at SMALL this year
Sep 17, 2007, 12:58 AM
3D Toy Designer
Hi Sparks,

I just bought the mag with part 1 of your 757, Great article so far. I saw you did a MD 80 and came on rcgroups to see if anyone made on and found this thread. I would like to make an MD 80 for slope soaring, would this be a candidate? Are you still selling parts for it? How about a 727 or DC 9?

Thanks
Bill
Sep 17, 2007, 08:09 AM
GRUMMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
I have the plastic parts available, they are listed below

Two dummy motors / cowls.
each motor is made from four piecies.
An upper and lower cowl half.
An air inlet or nose piece.
And an removeable exhust nozzle Or reverser buckets.
There are two detail piecies that attach to the nozzle to simulate the reverser actuators.

Two pilot figures

One cockpit face, mask, windows. . .
it's a one piece clear plastic part that attaches to the fuselage so your foam model can have windows.

Six dummy flap hinge fairings.
Tease parts simply bond to the bottom of the wing to simulate the fairings.

The model could be made without the plastic parts but the engines will be a little heavier if you made them with foam and glassed them, the windows could be painted on but it really does not look as good and getting the shape right is a real chore.

plastic parts . . . . . .$45 plus shipping $5

drop me an E-mail for information about shiping options for the instructions and plans.

[email protected]
Hello Sparky!!! Beautiful work, I can't believe the finish that you achieved compliments. Sparky are you working on having your model available as a kit? I thought I read something somewhere that it might happen, let me know when you get a chance.
Thank You and again Compliments on a fine job Areal prize winner...
Mojo
Sep 17, 2007, 10:48 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Kits?

At one time there was a kit . . .sort of.
This guy that asked if he could kit the MD-80, got set up and did about 4 kits and found out what I warned him about.
When you get all the parts in one place you will quickly see what I mean. The box turns out to be very large. The shipping cost becomes very high. and with the post office implementing their "volumetric weight" prices it would be even more now.
Buying the foam, , adding the labor, Ordering the boxes and you have a model Kit that most would not want.
The real problem is that a large portion of the model gets sanded to shape during construction. Foam is easy to sand but when most people buy a kit they just want to assemble.
Last year about this time he asked me to stop sending people his way.
Score another one for China's low labor cost.
So. . . .
2 inch blue foam cost is $24 for a 4 X 8 foot sheet. The model uses up just over one sheet to build. ( plenty of room to screw up if you buy two sheets.)

For you first time foam builders buy my book Building with foam.
http://home.att.net/~parkflyerplastics
Make a bow, buy the foam and give it a try. It's really not that hard.
In the book I show how to get set up to work with foam without buying the "professional equipment".
Trouble shooting tips on how to make better cuts.
how to make the cutting tools . .Cheap . .(I use cardboard on some of my designs.)
As for the professional equipment, I'm still using a car battery charger and .020 safety wire after 15 years of foam building.
Sep 17, 2007, 10:48 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

glider

The MD-80 is basically a DC-9, they are easy to mistake for each other.
The real give away is the scoops under the cockpit among a few other tip offs.

Slope soaring. . . . I've never done it so I'm speaking out of school on this one.
I see it in the Magazines and have talked to those who has so based on this I think the MD-80 would make a very good slope model.When I fly my model power off for a high altitude scale pass I loose very little altitude and that's at 5 pounds
The airframe weighs about 2.5 pounds with out the glass and equipment. This is a fantastic advantage as a glider.
If I understand this portion of the hobby these models are hand launched belly landers.
This would require a little tougher airframe for this design.
There is plenty of room for added weight in the form of structure here.
If I were to build this MD-80 as a slope glider I would. . . . . . .
make the wings solid blue foam and put servos out in the wings.
Increase the fuselage wall thickness to 3/4 inch.
Make the fuselage "harder" by applying 3/4 oz cloth on the first ply then follow it up with a final .5 oz ply.
Even with these structure upgrades for belly landing I think your model will come out lighter than my powered version.
Sep 17, 2007, 12:52 PM
3D Toy Designer
Sparky,

That is exactly what I was going to do. I was even thinking of a Keel in the belly and also wrap the belly with some 32nd ply. Do you still sell the cosmetic add on's?

Thanks

Bill
Sep 18, 2007, 09:29 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
1/32 ply?
Are you landing on rocks?
As for the keel beam, once you get one ply of glass cloth on the foam it becomes very stiff.
you will be shocked at how firm it becomes.

Yes the plastic parts are still available and will be for a very long time.

I was thinking about the 757 as a slope glider. there's no reason why it would not do equally well.
The nacelles could be held on with magnets and break away on landing or a release servo could be installed and drop them like bombs before landing.
Sep 18, 2007, 02:40 PM
3D Toy Designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
1/32 ply?
Are you landing on rocks?
As for the keel beam, once you get one ply of glass cloth on the foam it becomes very stiff.
you will be shocked at how firm it becomes.

Yes the plastic parts are still available and will be for a very long time.

I was thinking about the 757 as a slope glider. there's no reason why it would not do equally well.
The nacelles could be held on with magnets and break away on landing or a release servo could be installed and drop them like bombs before landing.
Sparks,

Well slope soaring does not have nice manicured lawns to settle in on, I live in So. Calif. so that means I fly from the Desert to the Sea and all points in between plus I think itís added security of keeping the model from having the belly scared up to badly. Being a slope glider, it can weigh a little more and I will be adding ballast as the conditions permit. To some extent, weight = speed. Also, I will be adding a little on the wing tips to protect them as well.

I can't wait to get started so I can through it off a cliff. For some reason, that always sounds wrong!

How much is the parts set? And were does the money go?

Thanks

Bill
Sep 18, 2007, 04:13 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
contact me at [email protected]
I'll send you a form letter with all the details.
Dec 21, 2007, 10:06 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Bill , how is the slope glider version comming?
Mar 11, 2010, 08:01 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

80 down

My MD-80 #2 went down at SEFF two years ago.
It got caught in a wind vortex coming over the tall line of pine trees off to the side of the sport flying area.
With the wing broken and the fuselage smashed I gathered the remains and stored it in the loft as a parts storage unit.

I really miss having this model in my flock so I'm building another one.
I've had several questions about the models construction over the last few years so I'll take this opportunity to go into closer detail about some of the steps.
The only Change I'll make is in the wing.
The built up wing is a real weight saver but complicates the construction so I'm going solid beaded foam this time.
Should cost me about 4 to 6 ounces.
Mar 12, 2010, 01:17 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
cant wait to see it sparky!!! it was a shame to watch yours go in at seff. i was bummed.
Mar 15, 2010, 07:34 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
So many people have contacted me about building the model with a solid wing I have to give it a try this time.
I have found that sheeting a wing with balsa is a waste of time, money and weight. ( Hot liners and very fast models excluded)
I have assembled the wing with standard methods replacing the balsa sheeting with 3mm Depron.
This gives the fiberglass a smooth surface and prevents the beaded white foam from absorbing the glass resin.

My intention is to touch on several steps that some have had problems with. Sheeting a wing with 3mm depron is too straight forward for photos so let's go straight to the wing saddle.
With the fuselage tube assembled and sitting flat on the table use the side seams to level it to the table surface ( equal distance from the surface)
Use the wing cut template to mark the tube sides then make a rough cut to get the hole started in the tube.
Place the fuselage on the wing and use balsa scrap to support a pencil on the top of the wing and mark the fuselage again.
Remove the marked material and repeat this step until the wing is in position.
After about 4 cycles you will need to take smaller "bites" out of the tube. All this means is you will have to loose the balsa spacer and simply lay the pencil flat on the wing and continue as bbefore.
Mar 31, 2010, 10:12 PM
What kind of foam did you use on the 757 for the wings and body tube?

Quick Reply