This thread is privately moderated by sparks, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 09, 2019, 08:54 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

258 259

Years ago a company called combat models produced an A-10 that took a .45 two stroke on the tail to fly.
This is the same bird converted to twin electric with retracts.
The model flew well but came out heavy .
Approach speed was very fast and I lost it trying to learn how to slow it down to land.
Got about 15 flights before her and "broke up "

One day David Graben came by the house so I could help him convert his Bird of time to eletric power.
He was afraid to cut the nose off and make a firewall so we was going to make an afternoon of it.
I had no idea I was working my own model. My friend felt bad about me loosing my old Bird of time he gave me this one.
He said the model should come with a lawn chair . . . .boring .
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2019, 09:06 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

260 261

While attending the BEST event in south Texas I watched the night flying planes and thought it would be cool to have one with some real "hang time".
Enter the "Night Spook."
I know , another Spook . I love the way it fly's.
270 interior LED's , 620 solder joints , lower rotating beacon, landing lights and navigation lights. all on three separate power supplies for redundancy.
I bought a new Horizon Hobby receiver for it, and it flew away one night.
They told me they would E-mail us when the DX-18 needed an update.
When they stopped notifying us they did not send out one last notice telling us that they had stopped.
I looked for her for 3 days in the hot Texas heat.

This bird I believe is called the Eletrica.
I call it the Terry Dunn because he gave me the model; all I had to do was build the control surfaces.
I could have went on line to see what they look like but designed them from the TLAR system.
It has become my test bed for RC experiments and it has a forever spot in the van.
Last edited by sparks; Oct 09, 2019 at 09:12 AM.
Oct 09, 2019, 09:27 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

262 263

Sports the wrong nose number because it came that way.
Its a little ARF air frame I bought at a RC flea market. I added the electronics and a nose wheel because I cant hand launch.
Had to guess at the power requirements and CG but it has turned out to be a great little plane. No bad habits and really fast.

I bought this one new, every one complained about the retracts but I never had a problem with them.
I don't remember the brand but I think it was Dynam; if you got off the power when landing you were in trouble fast.
This one crashed on approach after about 15 flights. The power system will show up again on a future BD-5 project for me.
Still looking for a home for the retracts. Perhaps another cartoon P-40.
Oct 09, 2019, 09:43 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

The albatross was a construction article for the AMA .
This was a bucket list model for me, honestly after the Skymule conversion I wanted a scale bird with this paint job.
it taught me how to program differential thrust for water taxi and a few tricks about painting . With the limited float fly's here in Texas she would be eventually sold to to a man that "just had to have it"
Oct 09, 2019, 09:57 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

265 is a wind rider 737 ; she came from my friend David Graben.
It was a basket kit model that was assembled poorly that he got from someplace and changed his mind.
I cracked it open and cut out 2 pounds of unnecessary foam, installed the equipment and took it to the field.
5 flights later I found myself at the BEST event in south Texas with an airline pilot asking "when you going to fly it" over and over.
I rushed the pre-flight and didn't check the radio battery. After lift off I started a climbing turn and raised the gear, the retracts stole all the power and she rolled into the field.
NEVER let a spectator rush your flights.
Oct 09, 2019, 10:08 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

The B-52 Another article for the AMA.
Had I known it would take a year to fly this project I probably wouldn't have built it.
In hind sight I'm glad I did, I reconnected with friends and well wishers and learned allot.

I found small fan units for $12 and ESC's for $8 so I went to work.
After the run up testes I found that one radio channel can only do 4 ESC's .
I assigned another channel then the fans started coming out of the nacelles because of harmonic balancing.
I needed better fans ($21 and ESC's $12.
Now I have a B-52 with 8 EDF's
Getting her in the air safely is still a challenge but I'm working out a caddy to get her in the air.
Oct 09, 2019, 10:22 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Constellation; Another AMA construction article.

I had 4 B-17 replacement motors goofing off in my stuff one day so I tested props for them and the Connie came to mind.
I had been lax at foam sheet construction so the computer was next to draw up plans.
When the fuselage was done it weighed 4 ounces . The excitement set in and I was off and running.
Very cool plane with sleek features. Getting the 5 rudders to move was a challenge but after a weeks worth of spare time it happened and just made the project fun.
Oct 09, 2019, 10:33 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

This is a Bryon F-16.
It was covered with storage dirt and glow fuel stains along with very old servos.
I went thru it with new stuff and allot of little crack repairs .
it wound up with a 120mm EDF and a 120 amp esc.
It broke my heart when I installed the 2 ea. 2 cell lipo batteries.
Why build a plane light weight only to fill it with bricks.
This may be the most powerful EDF Ill ever build.
Super acceleration , unlimited vertical performance, fly's great.
After 6 flights I sold it to a guy in west Texas that has a long paved runway.
I think I found it a better home , my grass strip would have only hurt her.
Oct 09, 2019, 10:53 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

269 270 271

This free wing Citation came from a RC flea market . I had a few repairs to do and replace a servo but I'm glad i did!
I had a ball with this Bird, you will find yourself flying it like an A-10 and that is why I crashed this poor little bird.
The nacelles were fine and would find themselves installed on model 275 later.

Just another Sig Kouger . . .not!
This is my 6th version of the same plane (yes I know there is no 6th. thunderbird )
Electric powered with a Rimfire 45 and 4 cells + retracts.
She could put a hole in a brick wall or land like a butterfly with sore feet.
if I could only have one RC plane it wold be the Sig Kouger.!

This one sat so long the number is wrong. I have no Idea who molded the fuselage but it was a heavy pig .
The joke was that I thought it would only last 26.7 seconds, turned out to be the truth.
it cost $10 at a trade show .
Oct 09, 2019, 11:06 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

272 273

The guys at RC Round Table are responsible for this one.
After loosing the last one at BEST ,Terry Dunn had found this one at a sale as a basket case and offered it to me.
Fitz Walker and Lee Ray stuffed her in boxes and suitcases and she made the trip from Buffalo NY.
At home I gave her the love she deserved and learned some about painting that crazy new American airlines logo.
Great flying model, thank you RC Round Table.

Not much here but a tiny ARF I won at a raffle.
My grandson and I fly it with my 787 down the street.
Oct 09, 2019, 11:34 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Is a free wing Panther , I bought it new from Motion RC as a special price just for me $98.
turns out it is available to the whole world for that price.
Marketing, what are you going to do?
The manual said it uses a 1300 mah pack ! must be nicads because it toook me a 1800 lipo pack to balance it.
I'm using a 2200 pack but its hard to launch , might go with wheels.
Oct 09, 2019, 11:44 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

I was challenged with making a plane to try a inflight refueling attempt.
I settled on a twin 70mm the Viking .
Lee Ray built a park jet F-18 with a FPV camera mounted.
We got so very close so many times till the magnet found the probe for a moment on his jet .
Towing a large cone behind a twin EDF model is like flying a twin with an engine out; and I was turning into a dead engine
After several very close calls and a little damage I grounded my plane.
Thanks to Rich Urvitch for your help on the down thrust angle. you made it easy.
Last edited by sparks; Oct 09, 2019 at 02:42 PM.
Oct 09, 2019, 12:11 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

This is a 1/3 scale BD-5 based on Dave Blum's design (model #242 and 174)
This tiny plane fly's so good I had to do a really big one built like the Connie.
Sorry there will not be a construction article on this one
I used 1/4 inch cut foam to frame it up and she weighed 2 pounds after glassing.
With the flight equipment she comes in a 4.5 pounds.
She has seen 3 very bad landings but now that the CG is better I'm dealing with throttle angle.
I'm glad to report that pitch management is a non issue now .
Being a very slow flyer has me thinking about a larger motor.
Oct 09, 2019, 12:15 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

is a model I found buried in my stuff.
Its a Cox P-47 from our brushed nicad days.
Flew it four times with a tiny out runner ; way too fast to be that small with only a rudder to turn.
I'll add ailerons and try again.
Oct 15, 2019, 06:19 PM
Cool idea, I have a photo album full of all my planes, but you got me beat

Quick Reply