Feb 24, 2006, 11:31 AM
Thread OP

Balancing Question, Yet Another One

I have been following many of the post in this forum trying to understand the ins and outs of cell balancing and the associated lengthy and sometimes confusing discussions. Especially with regards to wire color and pin out of the various manufactures lipoly battery packs. What we would have given for some type of industry standardization.

But to the point and back to basics. Other than the length of time involved to carry out individual cell balancing, what is wrong with discharging a lipoly pack, if fully charged, say ten to twenty percent down, and then using a Apache or similar charger, set it for one cell and around .5 C charge current and then charge up each cell individually.

I realize that this is probably not acceptable time wise for flyer's with a number of high cell count battery packs but it seems an appropriate balancing method for the flyer's who run their packs consertivatly, never approaching a BEC cut out at maximum rated burst current capability. Or incurring any of the other cell stress issues that Everyday Flyer and others have made us aware of.

Does cell balancing really need to be this complicated?

Bernie
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2006, 11:58 AM
Southern Pride
Chargin a pack in series to approx. 4.1 volts per cell and then charging each cell tp completions works fine but can be indeed very slow. Based on my experience doing this it will take one hour per cell after the series charge is completed. Depending on the cells and the charger the cells may never be exactly the same but should be within 0.02 votes which is plenty close enough for all practical purposes.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...64&postcount=2

Charles
Feb 24, 2006, 01:59 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Every Day Flyer, I was hoping you would comment on this item.

When you suggest cell voltage to be within twenty millivolts I assume that would be between the highest and lowest cells in the pack?

Bernie
Last edited by bnflyn; Feb 24, 2006 at 02:33 PM.
Feb 24, 2006, 05:09 PM
Permanently Banned
Why Don't U Just Spend A Little Extra Time To Check Your Prop Load And Never Let Them Overheat And Get Another Pack To Share The Duty Cycle Of Your Flying Habit

That's What I Do And I Never Have Any Balance Problems, Have'nt Even Check The Voltage Gap Between Cells In A Pack With Center Taps
Feb 24, 2006, 05:56 PM
one game away...
That's alot of work to capitalize the first letter in every word! I must ask, what was the purpose?

ma
Feb 24, 2006, 06:23 PM
Thread OP
"That's What I Do And I Never Have Any Balance Problems, Have'nt Even Check The Voltage Gap Between Cells In A Pack With Center Taps"

Then you don't know what kind of balance condition you have. In or out of balance. And center taps are generally associated more with transformers. It's cell taps we are dealing with here.

Bernie
Feb 24, 2006, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnflyn
"That's What I Do And I Never Have Any Balance Problems, Have'nt Even Check The Voltage Gap Between Cells In A Pack With Center Taps"

Then you don't know what kind of balance condition you have. In or out of balance. And center taps are generally associated more with transformers. It's cell taps we are dealing with here.

Bernie
I think it's called the "head in the sand" approach to pack balancing. If you don't see a balance problem, you must not have a balance problem.

Dan

Quick Reply