Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 17, 2007, 04:55 PM
Well sincerely I don't know what do you find of good in this boat... I've had a Thunder Tiger Odyssey, that has the same dimension, but was really better of this.
It has also the bulb!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2007, 10:57 PM
Landlubber
Oh I'm sure there are better yachts out there, and sure I'm looking to buy either a Thunder Tiger Voyager, ETNZ, Tamiya Round-The-World or Kyosho Seawind to give me more intense sailing action than the Fairwind can give.

I find my Fairwind sluggish in light wind and has an annoying windward helm in high wind which I can't seem to dial out but having said that, she refuses to snag on waterweeds, doesn't stall, doesn't submarine and doesn't need more than 10 inches of water to sail.

So sure... like anything else she has her strengths and weaknesses and I reckon she's good enough for many people- me included. I'm sure I'll keep sailing her even after I've got my 1m racing yacht and I'm sure I'll be having fun doing so.

In the meantime.... can anybody tell me what edition of Fairwind this is?

Cheers

Darth
Jul 18, 2007, 03:06 AM
mmmmm 1 meter racing. i can't wait till next monday.
Jul 19, 2007, 07:49 AM
Landlubber
I LOVE MY FAIRWIND!!!!!!!

Just came back from an evening's sailing. Noticed it was an awfully windy day so I ducked out early from work and headed down to the pond.......

And she was beautiful...... steady 10-ish knot wind from the west and she was zipping all over the 7-ish acre pond like a racing yacht. My Victoria sailing buddy was also there but in that sort of wind- and in the hands of novices like us- the advantage lay firmly with the sluggish but stable Fairwind as the Victoria spent most of its time being buffeted about by the wind.

I lost count of the number of laps I managed to do around that pond.. but I sure was awful sorry when the sun went down just 1 hour 10 minutes after I started sailing..... in conditions like we had here in Kuala Lumpur today, I'd have happily spent an entire day sailing.

WHAT a yacht!!!!

Darth
Feb 09, 2011, 04:07 PM
uhh..Let me get TWO!!

Fairwind 900

Hey,

If there are any Kyosho Fairwind 900 fans still around. I have one new in the box... i will post a link in the boats for sale section...

Ray
Feb 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by endr
Well sincerely I don't know what do you find of good in this boat... I've had a Thunder Tiger Odyssey, that has the same dimension, but was really better of this.
It has also the bulb!
I realize I'm sorta grave-digging here/endr's probably no longer around.. but the Odyssey doesn't have the same dimensions as a Fairwind at all. The Kyosho's hull's a good 11" longer & what, 20" taller in overall height..? Anyways, not knocking either boat, just correcting a blatantly wrong statement. (ran into this post while looking for info on the Odyssey II, as I hope to get one later this year )
May 08, 2015, 05:24 PM
help, I just acquired (gifted) an old attic relic, Fairwinds 900, with innards needing replacement. I am NOT a boat guy, (planes) but want to honor this persons gift since it was her husband who died years ago. I see the postings and am wondering if I will be able to get this thing on the water. I am a newbee! Is there a manual I can order somewhere? It is 36 inches long, 4 ft high with old old sails andworn out rigging.
May 08, 2015, 05:46 PM
Absolutely, you can get this boat going and it sails VERY well. You can search here or on google for "Bakersfield Fairwind" and find not just links to PDF's of the instructions, but a step by step illustrated guide to assembling and modifying the boat for racing or just fun sailing.

If you're not planning to formally race her, you can rebuild her any way you want. On my main boat, I glued a quarter-scale airplane servo to the bottom of the large hatch, added a home-made arm to the servo, and this controls both sails very well for me, at low relative cost. If you want to assemble it more like the stock version, that works too. This boat is very forgiving. Before I knew anything about it or had directions, I sailed the bare hull using a sheet of plexi to cover the hatch hole, and a mast made from an arrow shaft, stuck down the hole up front where the lib sheet string is supposed to come out - this was several inches forward of the actual mast location per directions... and I had great times for two or more seasons sailing that way, until I got wise:-)

With the pdf file of the fairwind instructions, you'll find it a simple boat to assemble and very rewarding to sail on a calm evening in the local pond.
Apr 20, 2017, 04:52 AM

Fairwind

I bought one of these in 2002 and didn't finish the kit. Been in the box never used, never finished. Is there a market for a brand new boat of this vintage?
Apr 20, 2017, 10:41 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Michael, there is a completed one for sale now in the classified section. I would think that an un-started, complete kit would be worth about $200, maybe more. Of course, the value is always subject to what someone else is willing to pay. Between the classifieds here on RCG and E-Bay, I would think you have a decent chance at selling it.

Dave