Thumbs down to Kyosho Fairwind 900 kit - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 22, 2002, 06:47 PM
Flying slowly along..

Thumbs down to Kyosho Fairwind 900 kit

I am just about done building a Kyosho Fairwind 900 sailboat kit. I feel that I must warn all of you out there that this has been one of the WORST kits that I have ever built.

When you open the box and pull out the hull, the first thing you'll notice is that there is EXCESSIVE plastic flashing left around the outer edge of the hull. The instructions say to simply trim it off with a razor blade....Good luck on this as the flash was so thick on mine that I could hardly cut through it to trim it off. It runs all the way across the top of the deck.

Also the plastic that they used to mold the hull out of seems to be extremely flexy. I hope it holds up to the rigors of sailing.

You will also have to spend an extra $20 on keel ballest, as it is not included.

All in all I'd say you could do a lot better then this kit. I have now built a V32, a Victoria and am working on restoring an old Marblehead hull.

The finished 900 seems to look ok. All I've gotta do is rig it and then I'll post a report on how it sails.

Does anyone else have one of these boats?
Last edited by slowflyer; Jun 22, 2002 at 06:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2002, 02:50 PM
Built it for my daughter three years ago. No problem taking off the flashing. Had to wotk on it. Only spent $5 for 4 1/2 lb shot to fill keel. Sails great, even in light winds.
Bill
Jul 01, 2002, 05:54 PM
Flying slowly along..
Hmmm I'm not trying to atsrt an argument but, my sentiments about the kit are echoed even on the AMYA fairwind site. They address some of the concerns such as not being able to use ANY of the nice railings and such that come with the kit as they foul the sheets.

The quality of the plastic is also mentioned as needing under deck re- enforcement.

The sail material is also mentioned as needing replacement.

This kit might be fine for just tooling around, but for anything else, I wouldn't rrecommend it.

For about the same money in the water you could order a completely built Victor boat or for a little more a Laser or Cr 914.

I think your money would be much better spent in those directions.

Again just my (and others) opinion---Rob
Jul 01, 2002, 06:12 PM
Flying slowly along..
You know what though....I really haven't built or sailed many models at all.

Here's a shot of ONE corner of my living room. This doesn't even begin to describe what's in the garage or stashed elsewhere.

Not rtying to sound arrogent, just showing off how spoiled I am LOL---Rob
Last edited by slowflyer; Jul 01, 2002 at 06:15 PM.
Jul 06, 2002, 02:11 PM
Fair Winds to all
Rob,
I gotta ask, after a V-32 and a Victoria, why a Fairwind? Incremental growth <g> Here's my fleet
picture,
Course now there's an R/C Laser, 2nd V-32 (for my wife) and a Spinnaker 50 Guess I gotta take another picture...
Jul 06, 2002, 05:04 PM
Flying slowly along..
I got the fairwind in a deal through my LHS. I got the boat at cost.

I can't seem to get any of the screws to stay in the darn plastic that this boat is made out of. I'm seriously thinking that maybe something was wrong with the plastic when they molded the hull.
Anytime you begin to tighten them, they strip out.

Anyhow I have given up on it.

If any of you would liek to mess with it and are located in the Ca Bay Area It is yours as soon as I can strip my gear out of it.

Seriously...FREE of charge, I have totally given up on this tub.

Not pictured in my fleet pic, are boats that are just too big to be in the house. I am going to start on my Marblehead restoration in the next few days and also plan on buying a George Riberio ODOM very soon.

It's good to see that I'm not the only nut with more then two sailboats in the house!!

How do you like your Laser?--Rob
Jul 07, 2002, 05:43 AM

What about the Kyosho Seawind

G'day Guy's
I have recently built the Kyosho Seawind and found it to be the best kit I have ever built. I am usually an avid scratch builder but I must say i enjoyed the hassel free building. It too had the excess plastic flashing but it was easily removed and i just buffed the hull to a mirror finish. As for performance, fantastic in the light winds but no good in the high range as she tends to steer straight into wind and i cant seem to do anything to the trim to counteract it. The servo type sail winch is very fast acting and responsive. The fittings in the kit where of a superior quality too with a beautifully made anodised aluminium mast. I think maybe the Fairwind is aimed as an entry model. I am just suprised to here this as all my experiences ,be it not many, with Kyosho have been of the finest quality.
All the best Keith
Jul 07, 2002, 11:55 AM
Flying slowly along..
The boat I am commenting on is the FAIRWIND 900 Not the boat you have pictured in your post. I think that is where you guys are getting confused. It is NOT The same boat.

It is a 36" Long scale type of a kit with railings and all kinds of scale accessories.

I have heard very positive things about the Seawind Yachts. I hope this clears things up.

I still think that with boats of this cost, they could remove the flashing as I haven't seen this on any other kits---Rob
Jul 08, 2002, 12:36 AM
The Kyosho Seawind sure looks cool! From what I've read about it it is a very high quality boat and definitely worth getting. My next sailboat though will be (if I can't find a cheaper priced CR-914 somewhere other than in the USA) a Laser. Its around the same price as the CR914 is now but is a much better boat and definitely worth the cost.
Last edited by Bernard Fraser; Jul 08, 2002 at 01:21 AM.
Jul 08, 2002, 09:47 AM

Boat talk

G'day Mr slowflyer
Don't just look at the picture.Read the post and you will see that i said the Fairwind is an entry model. In other words,you get what you pay for. When you build a boat from scratch, a bit of flashing is nothing. In any case, I would rather remove it myself as I would do a better job of it than some machine or a person who did not care.
Keith
Dec 16, 2006, 09:59 PM
I have to say I feel this bad review of the Fairwind is somewhat of an exaggeration, having enjoyed one for over ten seasons. I think it's an excellent boat, and it certainly is a popular one. If you still have this "dog" by all means I'll take it off your hands! I especially am looking for all the topsides decorative parts for mine.

Let me just address a couple things:

You'd have to be an idiot to pay a huge penalty in shipping for a fully pre-weighted keel, when a trip to any local sporting goods store will get you the bb shot you need locally for a buck or two. Sending the keel empty is a smart cost-cutting move. Saves weight for shipping cost and minimizes damage in transit.

As to the blow-molded hull plastic: Yes, you have one seam to scrape down and fill a little bit, but this is not a huge deal, takes minutes and it's only cosmetic above the waterline, invisible while sailing, and unimportant below the waterline unless you plan on racing. I sailed mine for a couple seasons before I even got around to that seam. It's otherwise been a very sturdy hull and it handles well under sail, very realistic.

The problem you complain about with your use of the screws, besides over-tightening self-threading screws until they strip out the hole, is not a problem, ALL screws thru the deck need a backing underneath, whether plastic or lite ply. This is true on ALL MODELS. This is just as true as it is for full scale boats, and your critique of this is unfair, given that the boat instructions SHOW the backing plate plastic component (chainplate) that needs to be installed under-decks to back up the screws for the mast shrouds. It is unfair to call this a design flaw when it looks like you didn't follow assembly directions. Any other deck screws fore or aft, I find have stayed tight all these years (over a decade) on my Fairwind because I put a drop of CA or epoxy in the hole before tightening the screw down the final turns.

The stock sails are fine for casual sailing, racers would of course replace much of the running rig for something higher-performance, but then again this is common to every model boat and adds expense to the base model's price that not everyone needs. I have never felt the need to upgrade the stock sail rig on my boat: it is durable, scale-like, and works perfectly well for pond cruising. I did sail it for a few years with a home made fiberglass/carbon mast, booms, and sail I cut from kite cloth. The difference was slight. All I have added to mine now is a boom vang and Cunningham. The rigging for this boat is uncomplicated and easy to maintain in stock form. The extra scale details on deck are a problem only if you are racing the boat. Frankly, I have been trying to make mine more and more scale-like over time. It just makes it that much more fun.

These boats look ultra-realistic on the water, and are easy to sail, I often hand over the controls to passers-by at the park pond from five to fifty-five and we all have a great time tacking, reaching and running wing and wing.

The boat takes a lot of abuse with aplomb, strong winds don't phase it too badly, it has plenty of freeboard and never ships water. It has enough tunability to satisfy any tweaker. It can be run with cheaper servos for economy if you want. It's an AMYA class so you can race it. It's a good size for making a good imperssion on the water but still breaks down to fit in the car trunk without too much trouble. It's affordable too.

Great first boat, highly recommended. Can't say enough good things about it.
No I DON'T work for Kyosho:-)
Dec 19, 2006, 10:49 PM

Still going strong

After seven years sailing the boat the only two problems I had was the elastic thread around the post finally lost there stretch and the numbers on the sail came off. Otherwise it has been a great boat and still going strong.
Lead shot from the local gun club is cheap and the seam was only noticeable on the rear and I painted it blue anyway and do not notice it. Only problem now is my daughter wants me to plank the deck like I did on my wives Robbie.
Bill
Dec 20, 2006, 12:18 AM

Flasjong of sorts and such...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPTC
No problem taking off the flashing. Had to wotk on it.
Bill

Back in the day i used to do injection molding for plastic electronic connectors that went on subs, jets etc. Upshot is that flashing form allthe zillions of connectors i popped off the mold varied from piece to piece. Sometimes if theres excess flash stuck to the mold itself itll create more than usual. Theres so many reasons fo different flash thicknesses and overall overspill from one piece to another. The other chap couldve gotten the extra "flashy" product.
In the end - nothing sais "NO" to a Dremel .

Pete
Dec 21, 2006, 06:24 AM

Fairwind is an excelent kit

PKBOO,

Yes, there are a few issues that need to be address when you build this boat. However, this boat is one of the most robust available. I have had mine for nearly ten years and have sailed it, with stanchions and pulpits installed, in 25mph winds on Lake Superior (inner harbor Duluth, MN). I like how the hatch cover overlaps the hull opening. Even in heavy seas Iíve never had water get into the hull. The guys on AMYA, this boat is registered 035, are trying to tweak the boat to go faster and still stay with in the rules. So you are going to hear them complain about things like the sail. I have a Seawind and several Soling 1M boats, but I prefer to sail the Fairwind because it is more stable in all but the most severe winds.

Matt
Jan 18, 2007, 11:39 AM
Model eAviator
buy a Vicki for a first boat...
Mine is 8 years old. had to replace the sheets and stays with 50lb fishing line.
More or less stock outa the box still. Plus I keep it in the box it came in.
easy to transport.

Rk