Feb 19, 2006, 01:02 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

RD Logics Tank...

ok so does it fit under the stock fairing or not??? I am hearing different thingsa from people, and I hate to drop $50 on a part that won't fit!!! I emailed them (RD) and they assure me it fits perfect... but who knows for certain??? please anyone else got any ideas??? I hate buying bad fitting parts!!!
thanks
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2006, 02:15 PM
STeve B in NC
You should be able to make it fit. It will probably require a bit of creative trimming around the bottom of the fairing and at the body mounting holes to accomodate the larger tank, but believe me, it is do-able.
Last edited by mollycbr123; Feb 19, 2006 at 02:20 PM.
Feb 19, 2006, 03:34 PM
It will fit but you will have to raise the body mount holes on the fairing to actually lower the fairing a little..But it will fit just not with the holes where they come from the factory..

Matt
Feb 19, 2006, 07:43 PM
Thread OP
how much trouble will that be??? hmm anyone got a walk thru???
Feb 19, 2006, 07:44 PM
Johnny in CT
Will lowering the faring affect the ground clearance when cornering?
Feb 19, 2006, 07:45 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999rpilot
how much trouble will that be??? hmm anyone got a walk thru???

just make new holes in the fairing a couple of millimeters above the stock ones..... it's pretty simple
Feb 19, 2006, 07:48 PM
Thread OP
ic ... thanks so you think that will do the trick???
Feb 19, 2006, 09:11 PM
lowering the fairing will affect your lean angle slightly..The further you lower the fairing the greater it will affect the lean angle..

Matt
Feb 19, 2006, 09:15 PM
hey 999rpilot if you look further down in the message board you will see a post i did about this tank & how it even sticks out further not letting you adjust the rake angle of the front end too much as well..I think im going to shelf my tank & stick to the stock tank..

Matt
Feb 19, 2006, 10:15 PM
STeve B in NC
You can always trim away the bottom of the fairing to clear the tank. swheels did this with one of his Ducs to fit over a homemade tank, and it kind of looks like a half-fairing. He calls it his street fighter. It really does look pretty cool.
Mar 06, 2006, 09:56 AM
scale microlights
I got one of these tanks the other day,
first i noticed that if you hook the wire that goes round the 'neck' of the std tank into the hole in the new tank it hangs the tank down really low!
is this what you guys mean?
i cut the hook bit off the bottom of the wire mount so its just a straight bit of wire and put that through the hole and locked it up with the grub screw.
it sits where the std tank does now with abit of a gap between the tank and the head.
has anyone left the black rubbers on that locate the sides of the std tank?
the rd tank hasnt got any bumps on the sides to locate into them, but im worried about the sides of the tank being damaged by hitting the sides of the frame. i tried to put the rubbers back in after i fitted the rd tank as 'bump stops' or 'vibration dampers' but they wouldnt go in, i think the new tanks abit wider than the std.
has anyone got any ideas?
Mar 06, 2006, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNEEBOY
I got one of these tanks the other day,
first i noticed that if you hook the wire that goes round the 'neck' of the std tank into the hole in the new tank it hangs the tank down really low!
is this what you guys mean?
i cut the hook bit off the bottom of the wire mount so its just a straight bit of wire and put that through the hole and locked it up with the grub screw.
it sits where the std tank does now with a bit of a gap between the tank and the head.
has anyone left the black rubbers on that locate the sides of the std tank?
the rd tank hasnt got any bumps on the sides to locate into them, but im worried about the sides of the tank being damaged by hitting the sides of the frame. i tried to put the rubbers back in after i fitted the rd tank as 'bump stops' or 'vibration dampers' but they wouldnt go in, i think the new tanks abit wider than the std.
has anyone got any ideas?

Indeed, you have to cut the wire mount (the curved part) and bend it a bit.
And yes i've left the standard black rubbers in the side plates because of following:
I'm also not using the standard bolts to mount the tank. Instead of that i use tirewraps through the holes of the bolts in the motor mount. Between the tank and motor mount i still use the round silicon fairing rubbers.
That way the tank is flexible mounted. and you don't lose any tank bolts. I'm very pleased with it this way.
I have loads of ground clearance.

I hope you all understand this. If you want a photo, please let me know.

This tank is bullet proof . Before this i wrecked 4 plasic tanks (= near 40 euro's). Never a plastic tank anymore (for me).

Marco
Mar 06, 2006, 11:08 AM

RD Logics Fuel Tank

Hi Kneeboy,

I have the RD Logics fuel tank fitted to my duke. I have not had to trim or adjust any of the bodymount holes. It fits nicely in between the two rubber grommets. I used some longer screws and a couple of plastic spacers in between the tank itself and the engine mounting. I also fastened a nylock nut onto the end of each screw to ensure the whole thing does not vibrate apart (you will need to remove the battery cradle and use the small spanner supplied with the kit to do this). Here is a few pictures to help ...
Mar 06, 2006, 11:10 AM
scale microlights
yeah i understand,
sounds like a good way of doing it!
how did you get the black rubbers in though?
i can only get the one side in with the tank fitted
i might just bend the frame out slightly so i can squeeze it in
Mar 06, 2006, 11:14 AM
scale microlights
thanks 999rMan!
im wondering if the bottom of my frame is slightly bent inwards?
might be if everyone elses tanks are fitting

Quick Reply