Feb 18, 2006, 10:15 AM
Plane dodger
Thread OP
Build Log

Samba ARF...Another "KillerAerotica" plane

Wooohoo finally got my new Samba 1300 ARF from Northeast Sailplanes and I can't wait to get this one in the air.
Although I do enjoy building my own kits, this plane is just what the doctor ordered. I am in the process of moving and don't really have a hole lot of time to build an entire kit so after a few weeks of pondering I have decided to build the Samba. I first saw the Samba fly at the NEAT fair and was very impressed with its performance and knew I would eventually get one. Very solid in pattern as well as very 3d capable. The plan form is similar to the Vermont Belle 1300 which I have enjoyed for the last few years, however the VB is suited more as a sport flyer. This plane fits into the45-55oz and 400 to 500 watt catagory and will be great for windier conditions were it would ground my SA Groove and SA Edge.
The kit has some significant changes in the building techniques employed by LN models and thought they would be worth mentioning. First is the much cleaner cuts, not as raggedy as I have experience with the Mamba and the VB that I have. Secondly is the use of sheeted foam core on the entire top side of the fuse, which is more durable and cleaner than the stringers and sheeting of the VB. Other improvements include a beefier double ply mount in the nose (which was kinda questionable in the VB and Accords) and a layered TE of the wing. One thing I wish they would improve upon is the battery hatch. The under side nose hatch is not my preference and I may have to remove the wing to change out packs. Not a major PITA but a removeable top hatch would be easier...I guess I am a bit lazy.
I plan setting it up as follows
Motor Medusa 028-056-1900 geared 5.2:1
Prop 15x8 to 15x10 apce
Battery pack 4s2p
CC45 with ParkBEC unit
4 Hitec HS 81's
Electron6 rx or I may pick up a Berg at WRAM.

I'll get some pics up soon of the build. Just started the wing and I already have some interesting covering enhancements that really Killerize it. Hey who's up for another Aerotica treatment?

Killer
Last edited by KillerAir; Feb 18, 2006 at 04:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2006, 10:43 AM
Same Day Delivery
Just what the Doctor ordered. Bring it on!
Feb 18, 2006, 04:14 PM
Plane dodger
Thread OP
Been busy building and taking pics today. Got in a few hours and the progress is going quickly.
Whats done
1. Wing mounted and blind nut installed
2 All surfaces hinged with 3M 600 tape. 1/2"
3. Control horns and servos installed into wing

Should only take a few more hours to get the rest of the fuse done. Then to add all electronics and motor.
I am going to have to modify the mount. It seems to be ready to go using a Hacker A30 sized or similar outrunner. I am using a promax gb and the holes don't look like thy will align. And finally a battery tray.

Will post pics tonight.

Killer
Feb 18, 2006, 06:17 PM
Plane dodger
Thread OP
Here are the intial steps to putting the Samba together. Helps to clarify the instructions. Will have more later.

Killer
Feb 18, 2006, 06:35 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Wow killer this is gonna be great I like the covering, should have good visibility . How about a close up of the motor mount ?
Feb 18, 2006, 07:02 PM
Plane dodger
Thread OP
Yes I like the new color scheme as well. I plan on doing some graphic treatments to this bird to make it a tab aerotic...if you know what I mean

Killer
Feb 19, 2006, 12:21 AM
Plane dodger
Thread OP
Finished the tail assembly tonight and took a brea to watch some of the Olympics . Will post some pics in the AM on progress. Weight so far is 18.5oz. Need to add 2 servos, motor g/b, rx, esc and battery pack. Right now I am targeting ~40oz with a 4s pack and 48 with 4s2p. Should be very close.

Killer
Feb 19, 2006, 10:35 AM
DWS
DWS
D.W. Schmidt
Killer,

Great thread! Are you going to use the carbon landing gear that NES shows in the pictures on their website or the stock gear?

For those who might be interested, here is another thread from last Spring that discussed this plane. Pretty much everyone seems to think it is a winner.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ighlight=samba

D.W.
Feb 19, 2006, 11:04 AM
Plane dodger
Thread OP
Thanks DW! I am really enjoying this build, very simple. There are a few holes in the instructions that do not cover the addition of the elevator Joiner. The older version (VB) uses a wire. The Samba version uses a prejoined hardwood joiner. The back of the fuse and or the rudder do not accomadate this change. I opted to attach the the H stab flush with the back of the fuse, which left a 1/4" gap between the LE and the fuse slot. Should not be a problem and will slot in a small piece of balsa there. Also had to cut a half round into the LE of the rudder to allow movement of the elevator/rudder assembly, again no big deal, but thought it needs to be addressed in the instructions. I will post pics of that. As for the landing gear I will use the stock for now but really want to use the CF gear. I will see if I can pick it up at WRAM this year.
As for progress, servos and linkage are in, lg in a,d need to do the tail wheel, which is not mentioned in the instructions. But the one that comes with it is very easy to figure out. Slot/screw and bend type. I had a buddy pick up a few servo leads extensions for the LHS and hope to get them today or tommorrow so I can finish up and maiden by midweek at latest.
I still owe a few more building shots to post, and will do more on battery placement and motor mounting since this is going to be a little involved.

Killer
Feb 19, 2006, 11:41 AM
Plane dodger
Thread OP
Here is a link to a video on the NSP site. The pilot Nick, has only been flying for about a little over a year now, so in the video he has about 9-10 months under his belt...pretty impressive.

http://www.nesail.com/videos.php?PHP...445ae297303016

Killer
Feb 19, 2006, 11:52 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Killer,

Was this the pilot flying at NEAT 05? I thought I seen some video of him flying the Samba there.

Tim
Feb 19, 2006, 12:14 PM
Plane dodger
Thread OP
Yes Nick was doing a lot of flying a NEAT with his Black Samba.
Feb 19, 2006, 01:58 PM
Killer, I ordered the LE Samba a little while ago. Looking forward to your build and flying tips. Thanks.

Joe
Feb 19, 2006, 03:02 PM
Plane dodger
Thread OP
Have to run out this afternoon but will post pics of almost finished build. Motor is now mounted in and all that is left is battery tray and wiring. Man this went fast. I thought it would take alot longer to do because of the motor mount redo. I fabricated a back plate mount and pics will explain better.

Killer
Feb 19, 2006, 08:49 PM
Plane dodger
Thread OP
Progress. Ready to go! Well still have to work out CG and battery placement.
With a single 4s pack it is all the way in the nose, will figure out 4s2p later tonight.
Here are the pics of the build and I will post finish pics later.

Killer

Correction. The tail wheel assembly and landing gear are in the instructions. They are visual diagrams in the back of the booklet.

Quick Reply