Feb 15, 2006, 12:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Inexpensive high quality CCD camera

I bought one of these last week as a test. It arrived on Monday and I hooked it up to my wireless transmitter; it works great and gives a very good picture. It auto-adjusted to low light and bright light in my workshop easily. It is an excellent CCD camera with pretty good optics. They are only $30. I have seen similar ones for $100. The camera runs on 12 volts. In my setup I have that coming from a 3S lipo battery, so I didn't buy a power supply. If you want a 12 volt wall transformer to power this thing, it is about $6 more. I bought 4 more today for myself and some friends.

http://www.mavin.com/index.php?crn=2...on=show_detail

Chris
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2006, 03:50 PM
Flyin brick
Would you mind posting some movies taken by ur camera?
Thanks!
Feb 16, 2006, 05:23 PM
HeliAP'er!
Specs look very good. I await some video/video stills with interest!

Cheers,

David
Feb 17, 2006, 02:19 AM
Thanks for posting the link chris.. How's the 900mhz treating ya?
Feb 17, 2006, 02:42 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
lvspark,

Is tha Walla Walla Washington?

CJS
Feb 17, 2006, 03:05 AM
yep
Walla Walla Cam
Feb 17, 2006, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
lvspark,

The 900 Mhz transmitters are working great. I have one mounted in an UltraStick and will be mounting the other one in my half scale Shadow. I built a patch antenna to match 900 Mhz and the video quality and range work very well.

Chris
Feb 21, 2006, 02:54 PM
Looks great! However, when the camera moves around, it seems to be choppy - is it like that in the air where you're constantly moving around?
Feb 21, 2006, 08:02 PM
Fundy, that is an IP webcam I istalled and has nothing to do with the camera chrisgood linked to on his first post.. The camera that chrisgood has would be smooth operation at 30 frames per second.
Feb 21, 2006, 08:25 PM
Sorry. Hey Chrisgood - how is the reception when you get far away from your plane?
Feb 21, 2006, 10:59 PM
ob1
ob1
chrisgood.......dude!!! Let me shake your hand and say "Mucho thanks"

I bought one of these to replace an older cmos that did not even have a mic. This $28 ccd camera rocks! I had absolutely no problems wiring it up to my tx, although I did change out my 3-wire flat cable for a 4-wire so I could use the audio function. I have tried low-light, normal-light, bright-light...all indoors....outdoors is even better....and the camera functions perfectly....adapts quickly and seamlessly...has adjustable focus (not auto-vari...simply manual adjust)...comes with removable protective lens cover...runs on 12v....just about ready to put it in my EasyStar...can't wait for some better weather so I can see what the over-all in-flight performance of the camera will be.
Thanks again for this wonderful find! The other "regular" wireless vendors should be ashamed for charging soooo much money for their ccd cameras when this $28 is just a good...IMO. I am going to buy one or two more just for a spare and to assist me with creating a switchable dual-camera setup (one forward facing and one rear facing)...thx
ob1
Feb 22, 2006, 12:09 PM
Hey Guys,
You've peaked my interest. Can you tell me what extra equipment you bought to make it work?
Feb 23, 2006, 12:19 AM
amen to that - no further pics/video?
Feb 23, 2006, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
I have three of them, two mounted on planes, third one to be mounted this weekend. The weather in Maryland has been terrible for a month (always on the weekends), so I have not flown them yet. I could post video looking at my garage or front yard, but that wouldn't be the same. As soon as I fly, I will record some video and post it.

Chris
Feb 23, 2006, 01:05 PM
ob1
ob1
Me too Weather has been rainy, windy, cold, or all three. Will be happy to post pics/vids as soon as i can fly

Quick Reply