Jun 19, 2002, 11:56 AM
Thread OP

What is the best Computer Transmitter for the price?

Hello, I am looking for either Futaba or Hitec. Something with 4 or more model memory and 5 plus channels. I dont have that much to spend on it, just want some good ideas. Also, the older Prizim 7 by hitec, anyone have one of these, and how is it? Joe
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2002, 12:08 PM
Now with more COWBELL!
If you're thinking about a Prism, spend the extra $40 and get an Eclipse from Hitec. It has 7 channels and model memories. I got one from Dymond, with the Spectra module (no more crystals or freq. questions ) for about $220. It's got more features than I may ever use, but I may likely never need to buy another radio, ever!
Last edited by U2Steve; Jun 19, 2002 at 12:10 PM.
Jun 19, 2002, 12:11 PM
Been There! Done That!
Second the Eclipse! Love mine!!!!
boomer
Jun 19, 2002, 12:15 PM

Prism 7 XMTR

I have one of the older Prism 7's. It is a good one with one major drawback, there is no rudder/aileron mix, which is something that may be nice to have. I also has memory for only three models.
Other than that it has excellent features for special glider controls or electric or IC flying. It will also take a Spectra module which can be set to whatever crystal/frequency you have in your plane receiver.

I have the Hitec Eclipse which can be bought separately for about $130 with nicads and wall charger. A Spectra module for it costs another $90 or so. This is probably more transmitter/bells and whistles than you will ever need but nice to have. Have you seen the simple $40 GWS 4-channel transmitter, no memory but nice basic features.

Hitec has a number of transmitters with fewer features than the Eclipse for less money
Jun 19, 2002, 12:29 PM
Where do you get an Eclipse without the module for $130? I have a Prism with Spectra I would love to upgrade.
Jun 19, 2002, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
I already have a Skysport 4 from Futaba, just want to upgrade to computer radio with model memory. How is the flash 5?
Jun 19, 2002, 12:36 PM

Eclipse!!!

Get the Eclipse, you won't regret it. Easy to program, menus are self-explanitory, etc... The only drawback might be the included battery pack, it doesn't seem to last very long. Besides that, I'm in love with mine.

-Mike
Jun 19, 2002, 12:38 PM
God is good
Futaba's 6xs is a pretty good tx. Easy to program ( ). Doesn't have exponential, though.

VP
Jun 19, 2002, 12:58 PM
Been There! Done That!
KSU Flyer
Upgrade to the 1650ma NiMH Pack from http://www.eflightpacks.com/ only $26
it sure makes a world of diff.! I put the big pack in both the Eclipse and the old Focus 4 I have. Makes the Eclipse go till I'm tired of flying and as for the Focus it seems it never needs charging!!
boomer
Jun 19, 2002, 12:58 PM
Thread OP
I have a question about the module. When you go to your local club and put your ama card on the board, do you get to choose an open channel? Or is the transmitter on a channel but you can use any channel? Or do you choose a channel on the board based on the model you are going to fly? Joe
Jun 19, 2002, 01:06 PM
Been There! Done That!
Of course since the Module changes only the TX freq. you are still governed by what crystal you have in your RX in the plane. However I have been known to take along some extra crystals for the RX and do a quick change in the field. It is also handy if you are checking out someones plane as I can switch my TX to his RX channel and see if EXP or something else will tame the handling of his plane. Have converted a few who swore they didn't need or want a computer radio. Another thing that sells them is I have 6 elevon planes all on the same memory and to change between planes all I do is after trim out of a particular plane is record the trim settings for that plane. Then before flying that plane just dial in the trim settings for the plane I'm flying. Makes my 7 memory TX serve for a bunch more planes than I have memory settings for!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Jun 19, 2002 at 01:11 PM.
Jun 19, 2002, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
So where can I get an eclipse for 130 or so without the module, I can always upgrade it later for another 94-100 bucks or so. Thanks for all your help! Joe
Jun 19, 2002, 01:16 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joe,
I don't know as I have only purchased the radio w/spectra. I would contact http://www.servocity.com/index.html and send them an email asking for their price as they price the radio w/spectra for $229.95.
boomer
Jun 19, 2002, 02:00 PM
Closed Account
Hi Joe -

Here's Hobby Horse Wisconsin's page on transmitters only (if this link doesn't work, the Eclipse is on the Hitec transmitters only page in the site index for $218.99)

<http://www.hobbyhorse.com/hitec_trans.shtml>

Ron
Jun 19, 2002, 03:24 PM
Lets crash and go home
I think for the price the Airtronics RC6000 is the most "Bang for the buck" for a 6 channel computer radio. If you ever feel like getting into helicopters it will give you nice 5 point throttle curves

Quick Reply