This thread is privately moderated by PoudreDerf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 09, 2006, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

First Time Blogger

Alright, so this is my area, huh? Guess I'd better tell you about myself.

Okay, now that's done, here's what I've got:
GWS Beavers, lots of them. Some still in the original, unopened boxes.
GWS A-10 Warthog with the big EDF's
RV-4 wooden airplane, still building.
FP pimped helicopter that's impossible to fly.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2006, 06:47 PM
Thread OP

The Fleet

Here's what makes me smile.
The Beaver with the colored wing has ailerons and uses two servos in the wing. My Optic 6 confuser radio handles the problem of mixing.
My Jet Beaver can take off from water on the EDF's, and cruise on the front motor once it's in the air. Yeah.
My helicopter was crafted by Chandler Griffin. It's too complex for me to fly at this point. It's sitting on the back burner.
I appreciate the quickness of building with foam, but really like balsa better. This way I get to build it, not Mr. Lin in China.
Feb 10, 2006, 11:05 AM
Thread OP

This is normal around here.

Here's what I've got cooking. My newest Beaver features Struts of Art (as opposed to works of art), pull-pull elevator made from a guitar string , and a landing gear made of wire too small for the job that actually works better than the stock one. A propeller made from a GWS glue tube seemed to be the solution for the wing breaking in flight, but, uh, it didn't work.
What do you think of that wing? I can hit fly balls into the outfield with it. Weighs just a tad short of a pound. Guess those old sailboat servos weren't the ones to use in the wing. Oh well, live and learn. I could probably flap my way into the air with the motor off with this wing.
That's that's cooking!
Feb 11, 2006, 12:25 PM
Thread OP

About Me

Here's my story of how I've been led astray. You gotta click on the file. Don't worry, there's no castor oil on it. It's a clean file.
Well, sorta clean. It meets the rules of the forum. Barely.
Feb 12, 2006, 08:29 AM
Thread OP
The moon was too bright to sleep, so I went out with my Beaver to my Personal Airport. It was quite bright, but the wind was up, so I didn't fly. Probably would have lost it had I launched, but at least I was Number One on the Flightline for the morning. Can't complain about that.
Feb 12, 2006, 03:21 PM
Thread OP

Ready to fly

I have to show you that I was really ready to go this morning.
And all that time I though RC stood for Royal Canadian. My next Beaver, and floats, sits on an RC cooler.
Feb 12, 2006, 07:31 PM
Thread OP
Whoo Hoo! Flew in a monster wind. Fastest downwind leg I've ever done. Had a bunch of trouble getting it back into the wind, but found it pretty calm at ten feet and lower. The problem was getting to that ten foot mark safely.
It took two passes, but I landed it without flipping it over. Hey, I'm getting better!
Feb 12, 2006, 11:31 PM
Thread OP

RV-4 Progress

I'm cutting out the wheel pants now. Got the wood on the fuselage done, strengthened the tail wheel aparatus, and got the nose and underside EconoKoted. I'm getting there!
Feb 15, 2006, 09:35 PM
Thread OP
I glued one of the wheel pants together on my RV-4 today. Used epoxy, then white EconoKote to "cover my sins". It doesn't look too bad. Nothing a stripe can't make look better. And, it's pretty strong.
I've seen soap bubbles thicker than the plastic they used on these wheel pants. Hope it's worth the effort. First time I've ever done this much work on a stupid wheel. It' better look whoop-de-doo.
Feb 16, 2006, 09:06 PM
Thread OP
Finished my pants today. Now I just gotta attach 'em permanently to the landing gear. It was so cold in Joe's Place (my shop) that the epoxy wouldn't cure properly. Wah!
Feb 22, 2006, 11:12 AM
Thread OP
Got juice? I do. Sent off for a bunch of li-po's and a charger yesterday. Should be a good flying season coming up.
Feb 26, 2006, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
Flew yesterday when I shoulden't have. It was far too windy. I had a fight, not a flight. 52 seconds of sheer terror. Landed, no damage. Except to my nerves of steel. They're nerves of Jell-O now.
Mar 01, 2006, 09:50 AM
Thread OP
Now, yesterday it got into the 70's, and I did three flights. Today, it's back to windy city. Time to work on my profile Beaver.
Mar 06, 2006, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
Got my heli off the ground yesterday. New batteries and all. Had a servo reversal problem with aileron servo, and accidently put the heli through Rosie's roof when I reversed channel 3, the throttle. But, a set of new blades and I'll be trying it again today.
I got a balancing charger and five new li-po packs. Woo Hoo!
Mar 06, 2006, 07:02 PM
How far in the ground..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoudreDerf
I got a balancing charger and five new li-po packs. Woo Hoo!
First time I clicked I couldn't figure out you had a thread. All I could see was :
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoudreDerf
Alright, so this is my area, huh? Guess I'd better tell you about myself.

Okay, now that's done, here's what I've got:
GWS Beavers, lots of them. Some still in the original, unopened boxes.
GWS A-10 Warthog with the big EDF's
RV-4 wooden airplane, still building.
FP pimped helicopter that's impossible to fly.
Doooohhh

Got this Bookmarked now.

Let me know how you maiden A 10 goes. Can't wait for that description.

Ron

Quick Reply