Jun 18, 2002, 02:23 PM
Principal Member
Thread OP

First flight with my new Tiger Moth

ok here are my impressions. buildup was ok, took about 6 hours including epoxy drying time.instructions are pretty good even though the language could be better. (translated what can you do). that was yesterday, today i took it to a tennis court thats built low so wind is low, but gusts were about 5-10mph. put it on the floor, applied throttle and it took off. this thing is a lovely sight in the air. very mellow. flew for about 3 mins becuase the wind was controlling it more than me and am limited by the small space for mistakes. i come in for a landing and the propeller touches the ground (throttle was off) and all off a suden one side just falls off. it fell off like it was barely stuck on. talk about crappy propellers. now i have to wait a week for an order. im going to order like a dozen of them i guess. also, i noticed that you really should wait for that no wind at all day to fly a TM. Great plane though. im impressed. just if it wasnt for the propeller.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2002, 03:23 PM
I'm guessing that the propeller was the 9x7 supplied in the kit? Mine also broke very quickly, and I have heard that these are pretty brittle. I didn't have an extra, so I tried a 10x4.7 GWS prop, which seems more flexible, and my TM actually flew better with it. I've also tried a 10x8, which works OK, and a 9x7 3-blade. Not really much difference, but it looks cool... .

I would suggest trying a 10x4.7, you might be happier with it.
Jun 18, 2002, 03:41 PM
I second what mefly2 says. Give the 10x4.7 a try. They're built much more sturdy and should be able to take that bump on the ground,,much,,much better than the stock 9x7. It slows down the top end speed of the plane, but provides plenty of thrust. You'll notice the thurst difference. Good luck,
Jun 18, 2002, 03:51 PM
Also try this prop saver link. It works. I lost power at about 30 ft. and the plane nosed in and broke the prop saver and gear box, but not the 9X7 prop.
Last edited by LOVTOHOV; Jun 18, 2002 at 03:56 PM.
Jun 18, 2002, 07:02 PM
Principal Member
Thread OP

re

thanks guys, ive found an APC brand 10 x 4.7 slo-flyer prop at my LHS and am going to try it. i sure hope the winds die down though.

Quick Reply