Homebuilt X-Twin/AeroAce Powered Micro Jets - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 13, 2006, 02:49 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Gear has been installed and I am just waiting for the morning and hoping it will be calm enough to maiden.

AUW came in at 18 grams
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2006, 03:16 AM
At 18g auw should be a hoot to fly! Good luck on your maiden, and perhaps some light paint work that does not add too much weight will make your sukhoi one heck of a jet in the air!

hklam
Feb 13, 2006, 12:21 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Aim the motors out, guys... Less speed, greater turning ability!
Feb 13, 2006, 03:33 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
It flies great!

After a few nose in's at low throttle I realised I had mounted the motors on the wrong sides - so when I held it right to straighten the left turn out - it was turning hard left and pummeling into the ground. A few bits of masking tape to hold the buckled nose area back together and I tried again. The motors seemed to push the nose down even though I mounted them with up thrust. I moved the battery back as far as the leads would allow but it wasn't enough so I taped a very small nut to the tail and that sorted that problem out. I trimmed the motors to full right but it still crept to the left so I taped a tiny washer to the right wingtip. (don't you love my field trim methods? ) Recharged the battery and launched it again. It flew great! Nice tight figure eights and circles and nice slow straight flight. I had to have it at 3/4 throttle to maintain level flight and full throttle to climb but hey, it flies, right?

Now for a few repairs, some trim tabs and a bit of paint!
Last edited by NitroCharged; Feb 13, 2006 at 03:55 PM.
Feb 13, 2006, 08:28 PM
Moderador.
Clever design!!!! ingenuity.

Cheers.

Alf
Feb 13, 2006, 10:03 PM
smaller...NO smaller"

couldn't take it anymore!!!

after seeing Nitros sukhoi I had to make one as I had a nice new AA sitting around.

wingspan: 10.5 in
AUW: 17.3 grams
stock AA gear decased and shrink-wrapped
small elev & rudders

glides great and climbs out at 1/2 throttle on up!

cant wait for indoor night thursday....hope to get some video!

most fun ive had in 2 hours building lately!
Last edited by selfo; Feb 13, 2006 at 10:17 PM.
Feb 13, 2006, 10:15 PM
smaller...NO smaller"
ok im really finished for now!

Feb 13, 2006, 11:03 PM
Nice! Very nice indeed, Selfo!

Hope to see a video of it flying, maybe?

How's the controllability? Is it fast? If it flies very nicely, I might have to do scale mine down to your size so that it climbs better.

More guys, more! The AA or x-twin gears are suitable for profile jets, so why wait! Gut your AA and start building and flying micro jets.

hklam
Feb 14, 2006, 12:34 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Nice pusher indeed selfo!

I might have to nuetralize my motors thrust lines if Selfo has no issues at half throttle as his look neutral. Looks like I don't need those stabilisers either then. Less weight - goodie!

Let you know how it goes. Might even get some video of mine too.
Feb 14, 2006, 01:44 AM
Kat Builder
Hi Folks...

I thought it was time to share my stumbling attempt of an AA-Jet.

Mine disobeys all of the rules for size and weight (for now), but it has "flown" indoors in a standard gym, but not under as much control as I had hoped.

It did maintain altitude, but it is too nose heavy to keep the nose up in the turns, and heads for the floor pronto.

It has ONLY the electronice and battery and motors and wires from one AA. It also has NO other electronics or electrical servos or actuators.

BUT, it DOES have a mechanical servo to control the elevons, yes, it has operating, and controlable elevons, and a close look at the bottom view will disclose all of my secrets.

The plane is on my bench right now, and is undergoing some weight loss, and a lossening up of the elevon controls. As first flown, I had made the "servo" stiff, to give some auto centering (and that did work), but it was TOO stiff, and robbed most of the movement from the elevons.

I am going from carbon rods to thread, for a "pull-pull" system, and will make no provision for centering, and just "live with" the need to keep "flying it" constantly, for the time being, until I get it's limits sortrd out.

Bob Reynolds
ComeUpHere

[IMG]This is my first non-swing wing F-14 (and THAT hurts), it wieghs 26
grams (OUCH), and has a 19" wingspan.[/IMG]

Well, I guess I don't how it "insert a picture", so i'll just post this for a teaser, and hope someone chimes in to tell me how..

Until then... Bob (one of many)
Feb 14, 2006, 02:11 AM
Well, being the thread starter, I think that gives me some rights to request for some pics of your creation, Bob.

Anyways, to post pics, you can use the "manage attachment" function from the "New Reply" thread. Make sure you click on "New Reply" and not "Quick Reply". After you click on "New Reply", you scroll down the page and you will find the function. Click on that and you can upload 5 pics at one go! As simple as that, try it.

hklam
Feb 14, 2006, 07:48 AM
smaller...NO smaller"

nooOOO nitro......

I think its just the pic you are looking at..... if you look at the second from the end you can see the displacement id say im around the three to four degree area.

Hope I caught you before any major adjustments took place hehe.

I dont know about all of you but I cant get anything else done (like my ikarus yak for thurs night indoor that isnt even opened) because Im sitting here im a daze staring at this 25 dollar 10.5 sukoi.....these are way too much fun and great projects for the kids.

we could build these in 30 mins at a meeting night and get down all the basics of foam building and terminilogy, control surfaces and the like.....wham bam.
kids would just love it.

anyhow off to work.....
Feb 14, 2006, 09:49 AM
Kat Builder
Hi Folks, and thanks hklam...

The method to swing the wings, is an aerodynamic function of the lift vector, and only works (for me) with a wide speed range, as in my past slope TomCats.

Bob Reynolds
ComeUpHere

Ps. See post #25 above for more details...
Last edited by Bobber Bob; Feb 14, 2006 at 11:11 AM.
Feb 14, 2006, 10:20 AM
Restricted User
Bob, very nice solution.
Is there enough steering-power to stop turning and come back to a straight flight?
Really would love to see a video.
Stephan
Feb 14, 2006, 11:09 AM
Kat Builder
Hi Stephan...

As mentioned in post #25 above, there was not enough control authority to stop the turn before it hit the floor, but it was trying.

The biggest problem, is that it was way too nose heavy, and the controls were too stiff. Both problems are being addressed as I write this.

I hope to retest it tonight, outside, or in the morning, whenever the winds die down (here in the greater LA area).

Thanks for the interest and encouragment.

Bob Reynolds
ComeUpHere