Homebuilt X-Twin/AeroAce Powered Micro Jets - Page 125 - RC Groups
Apr 28, 2010, 11:14 AM
Not my original design. It was Gary aka sr71fan who did the original. He's an incredible builder/designer including a 7 foot B-36 which he flies indoors. (Hey they have BIG buildings in Texas).

These are the images he posted which I worked from as guidance plus a 3 view.
Hopefully he will not object to my re-posting his images.
Last edited by trroadster; Apr 28, 2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: corrections
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2010, 12:59 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Looks Good Trr!

Can you give me a wingspan? I can pull this into SketchUp and cut'em up on the Iron Phlatprinter.

Also CG location.

Thanks,

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Apr 28, 2010, 10:53 PM
Sorry Ken
It's out in the garage and it's pouring rain and it's tax time and.....

Print the last image on legal paper and run it through the photocopier at 196% then use that as templates. I use a pin to poke guide holes in the depron at junction points and a thin sharpie to draw the panel lines. I used 3mm depron and a 2mm flat strip of carbon fiber from the tip of the nose back about 7 inches. This will preserve the fragile nose in minor bumps. the rest of thegraphics are either found and resized in photoshop or created there (text) printed on white paper, trimmed and glued on. The red fin is just a broad sharpie.
Apr 28, 2010, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjetflyer2
Hey guys I just got an idea...
So we all agreed that an rc plane with js or foxfire guts can't turn(well) with the motors inside the plane but, for ex. If we built an f18 and changed the thrust nozzles so they point outward slightly, the turning would be waaaay better... Maybe
I think I might be on to something. Do you all think this will work?
Try it and let use know.
Apr 29, 2010, 07:19 AM
even if it worked then the F-18 would look extremely odd.

SS
May 02, 2010, 05:23 PM
Storm Runner guy
It would, if the standard nozzles were used.

However....
Method 1 - carefully cut the rearmost 10% of the exhaust nozzle off. Sand a few degrees downward on one side, CA back in place. That would give an air deflection, that would not impede thrust by any great amount.
Method 2 - working with the 90% exit size rule of thumb. Measure the nozzle exit amount as factory stock. If it's 100% then an improvement in thrust is in the offing. Place a wedge shaped piece inside the thrust tube, to bring the output hole down to 90% and give an angle of thrust deflection. If it's already at 90% when measured, cut one side off of the exit and introduce the wedge, such that it again forms an exit area of 90% sizing.
Oct 09, 2010, 11:13 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
any good plans for the parkzone UM P51 guts?
Dec 06, 2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklam
Thought of starting a new thread for the x-twin/aeroace enthusiasts to show-off their homebuilt jets, in line with the introduction of the new aeroace micro jet by Airhogs.

Here's my finally completed and fitted F-15 Eagle (12" wingspan). Test flown it in my living hall last night and it seems to fly very slowly but without much lift as it is a bit overweight at 22.0g. From the pictures you could see that I have removed chunks and chunks of 3mm foams from the airframe that was built from my previous post here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=229

and covered the surface with much lighter and flexible 0.5mm insulation foam to achieve a lighter airframe. The effect of it seemed to have boost the appearance of my F-15, as compared to the original when it was built.

Will try to trim some excess foams and bits to make it lighter and able to lift easily, and hopefully maiden her successfully. Its quite a challenge to build and trim a flyable jet using the x-twin power unit. Hopefully more homebuilt x-twin/aeroace jets appears in this thread.

hklam
Hi I'm Dries and I have an x-twin classic trainer. I made a lot of models for my x-twin but today suddenly the black wire came of from the "motherboard". And the problem is that I don't know where I have to fix the black wire?

can you help me? Maybe you can post a photo of the electronics so I can see where to fix it.

thanks