This thread is privately moderated by GRW3, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 06, 2006, 06:36 PM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP
Discussion

Retread - Swap Meet

Swap Meets

First Saturday in Feb means Tri-City Swap meet. Getting started again means cleaning up the workshop. In doing so I was able to segregate out things I don’t need and can live without. The swap meet would be a way to trade some of that off.

For someone who never, typically, had more than two planes flying at a time, I had a lot of radio stuff. Since the newest piece was 5-6 years and since it was old connection Airtronics, I knew it would not be worth much. Still I priced it for what I would take and let nature take its course. I didn’t sell much radio stuff but that was OK.

What I did sell a lot of was junk. I took lots of things I did not want and put them in a $1 box. I made most of my money from that. All my stuff was priced fair so I knew I would be taking it home but I made my nut (entry fee for me and my son and breakfast for us both) in the first half hour and everything else was gravy. Kind of like flying, the social aspect was a key part of the deal. The $1 box proved to be a real conversation starter. Besides the junk, I took a box of magazines, 50¢ - $1 ea., and sold $2.50 worth (thus putting me $2.50 ahead of the garbage can).

Some people sold a lot of stuff. Those are the people who had their “come-to-Jesus” moment and knew that if they wanted to sell their junk, it had to be priced right. Other people cling foolishly to the thought they can recoup their investment and go home with everything they brought with them. I felt particularly sorry for a lot of owners of finished airplanes. The good, well-priced stuff left early leaving only the overpriced hangar queens and war weary.

The swap meet is a good way to rotate your junk stock. Sell yours, buy someone else’s. I only did a little of this but I was happy. Left with most of my junk, some new junk and some extra green in my wallet. If you can get the right attitude you can really enjoy a swap meet.
Latest blog entry: 17th Annual BEST Fly-In
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply