Oct 16, 2008, 11:29 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Doc:

With that motor and prop the ESC will be right at its limit or perhaps a little over, and you will need a very good quality 1800 pack 3S pack or the voltage will sag and the cells may puff. To be safe you should do a bench test with an ammeter before flying. If the ESC goes into thermal shutdown from being pushed too hard, you could lose the plane or hurt someone.

I would go with at least a 35A ESC and good quality 25C 2100 cells, especially if you fly where the ambient temps are above 80F or you intend to push it hard.

The HS-81's while strong are not the best centering servos around and if you are going to go for a fast plane or a high roll rate, digital servos or HS-255's might be a little better if you have the $.

I have a pair of HS-5125MG (metal gear) thin wing digitals in a couple of aileron planes and they are super strong and very responsive. You can really notice the difference versus analog servos. The only downside is they are $60 each but speed costs money and MORE speed costs cubic money.

You can see the specs of the different Hitec servos here.

FC
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2008, 12:16 AM
Always around.......
EyeFlyPlanes, My FJ used to do the same thing (one surface traveling farther than the other). I have a Futaba 6EXA fyi. All I did was adjust the EPA down for the servo that was traveling further than the other. Took a few flights but solved my issue. I started off by setting it to where it looked even then adjusted from there.

Jason
Oct 17, 2008, 12:39 AM
doctorbatman
FoamCrusher,
Thanks for the reply and info.
I have a 40 amp spd control I can use instead.
I've got some cellpro 2100 ma packs.
I can do a bench test with amp meter to verify before install.
Do you think HS-65 with karbonite gears (I have them already also) is a better choice than HS-81 or would I gain nothing?
Thanks,
Doc
Oct 17, 2008, 12:55 AM
What smoke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorbatman
FoamCrusher,
Thanks for the reply and info.
I have a 40 amp spd control I can use instead.
I've got some cellpro 2100 ma packs.
I can do a bench test with amp meter to verify before install.
Do you think HS-65 with karbonite gears (I have them already also) is a better choice than HS-81 or would I gain nothing?
Thanks,
Doc
I'm using HS-65MG on mine, they fit no problem and the Funjet tracks strait and smooth with them. Not saying the other digital ones wouldn't be better but at around 100mpg the 65's are holding up for me.
Oct 17, 2008, 02:15 AM
the fj is a very use fiendly plane but when choosing gear to install make sure you get the strongest and the lightest. a light funjet is a happy funjet. remember that. thats probably why ur depron dosn't last longer i still have the first one i ever built.
Oct 17, 2008, 02:39 AM
Always around.......
EyeFlyPlanes, I would have mentioned my solution to the issue earlier but you were describing it as a torque roll.

On a side note I think you will like the Futaba 6EX radio alot once you learn all its features. I am looking to replace mine in a few monthes but only because I want to go to 2.4.

Jason
Oct 17, 2008, 02:59 AM
That Futabe 6ch 2.4 Hz is 22% more expensive ($220 vs. $180) than the new Spektrum DX6i which has an awesome dual receiver.
I think neither has servos, so we can run our own favorite units like Hitec 81/82 MG.

I am not very familiar with that Futaba.

What are the feature differences between the two radios?
Oct 17, 2008, 03:15 AM
Always around.......
Not sure of the differences. But when I swap I am going for the 7ch Futaba 2.4 as apparently they have discontinued the 6ch 2.4 RX's. I was originally going to get the 2.4 version of the 6EX radio as I just really didn't want to have to learn a new radio. But it looks like I am going to have to anyhow. I choose the 7ch because I saw no point in buying a 6ch radio and having to buy 7ch RX's with an unused 7th channel.

Jason
Oct 17, 2008, 04:22 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
ok well I actually got the futaba 6ex for only $150 including shipping. Ebay look for toms rc. Amazing prices. It was between that futaba and the dx6i, but the dx6i has no digital trims! Are u kidding me? It was a clear choice.

I'm addition to that hobby city sells the assasn recieivers that are compatible with the futaba for only 25 bucks. I bought 4. Spektrum was not compatible at all, $70 receivers here we come. Ya I got a kick a$$ 2.4 ghz system for $175. I am stoked.
Oct 17, 2008, 05:18 AM
Always around.......
Sounds like a sweet deal. Congrats.

Jason
Oct 17, 2008, 11:06 AM
very nice very nice you gotta take some risks if you want a reward. congrats ur braver than me.
trev-
Oct 17, 2008, 11:29 AM
I think I like vanilla...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
I'm addition to that hobby city sells the assasn recieivers that are compatible with the futaba for only 25 bucks. I bought 4. Spektrum was not compatible at all, $70 receivers here we come. Ya I got a kick a$$ 2.4 ghz system for $175. I am stoked.

Is this the receiver you bought?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...4GHz_Receiver_

I think you're about to be very disappointed. The assasn 2.4ghz receivers are not compatible with Futaba FASST. What they are selling are recievers that are compatible only with their own transmitter module, which can be used in SOME Futaba transmitters - unfortunately, the 6EX is not one of them.

I don't know of any aftermarket FASST receivers.
Oct 17, 2008, 02:58 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
Dude you have got to be kidding me. I just bought 4 of these things. I was reading on the website. And it said it would work with futaba 2.4ghz. I thought all futaba was the faast system. Son of a biotch!
Oct 17, 2008, 03:09 PM
Staying Frosty
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
the dx6i has no digital trims! Are u kidding me? It was a clear choice.
I think your talking about the Dx6 there. Both of my Dx6i's have digital trims
Oct 17, 2008, 04:09 PM
Yes, yes I am.
My DX6i has digital trims. As far as I know, none of the 2.4 GHz equipment out there is compatible with each other - all proprietary...

Quick Reply