Jul 29, 2009, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
Depending on what those 9g servos are I really don't think you'll find they're man enough for the job.

When I 1st got mine a couple of years ago I stripped 2 aileron servo's within my 1st 4 batteries and it was pure fluke / luck the plane survived.

I replaced them with 65 MG's which have lasted ever since. Personally I've switched to budget motors, ESC's and batteries but I do still spend the money on servo's, a dead stick's one thing, a servo locked out on full deflection is a whole different ball game and can be a false economy !!!!!!
Just my 2p's worth !!!!!
I'm using the hs-65 MG on ailerons as well. Noticed any slop ? Not enough to cause trouble...but they do flutter (ailerons).

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2009, 03:24 PM
Downtown Minneapolis
Yeah man everything I fussed with for hours into daybreak. Neigbors must have been pissed. Just frustrating.

As for the thrust screws, I noticed that the picture discription is different than the written discription of the left, one says 0mm other says 5mm. I guess once airborn we can work it out but I can see myself chasing that value all over the place. Couldn;t tell if it was right anyway.

After ALOT of looking aound, I went ahead and ordered a nw motor from Jeff at headsuprc.com. For anyone who hasn't ordered from there, this guy has the cheap stuff we want. Superfast shipping here to Minneapolis. Using the 14g tp metal servos on ail and 19g tp digital metal on tail. Cheap.

I deicided to go with his 3536-10 motor as is has decent power, cheap as hell, and has two of its mounting holes spaced at 25mm!! Will report how it works out.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail
Jul 29, 2009, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin
I just signed up for the NEAT Fair in September and decided I'm going to build my AcroMaster nightflyer in time for the event.

However I'd like the wings to be removable for easy transport. Using micro Deans connectors for the LEDs is no problem, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to secure the wings when ready to fly. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel
I used velcro strips where they meet You might need to 'mortice' or notch one side so the strip is flush. Try it first...if you're happy, use hotmelt to hold strips permanently !
Aug 02, 2009, 12:42 AM

replacement for 'Y' adaptor

I am thinking there may be an Acromaster in my future. I am working on my "tower hobbies" wish list for what I will need for the Acromaster.

I was wonder if anyone that has built one could tell me what length servo extentions would I need so that I don't have to use a 'Y' adaptor. I'd rather plug both alieron servos in my reciever seperatly.

Thanks,

Steve
Aug 03, 2009, 01:09 AM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedots
I am thinking there may be an Acromaster in my future. I am working on my "tower hobbies" wish list for what I will need for the Acromaster.

I was wonder if anyone that has built one could tell me what length servo extentions would I need so that I don't have to use a 'Y' adaptor. I'd rather plug both alieron servos in my reciever seperatly.

Thanks,

Steve
Why?

I have 10 planes, most of them 3D. I have set many of them up with a "Y" harnesses and a few without and the only difference is that the flaperon type ailerons are a beeoch to set up.

As long as you are running adequate voltage through your BEC and your "Y" harness is equal to or heavier gauge than your servo leads, I'll guarantee you'll never know the difference.

BTW, my Acromaster has a "Y" harness to the ailerons and it has never presented me with any limitations.

Fred
Aug 03, 2009, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey
Why?
Fred
With seperate leads, you can use flaperons.
The AM does amazing "Wall" maneuvers with flaperons. Without...not so much.
Aug 03, 2009, 12:11 PM
The Acromaster would be my first 3D plane, so to tell you the truth I don't know what a "Wall" maneuver is? But I'm looking forward to finding out!

The main reason I didn't want to use the Y adaptor was to have the flap/flaperon option. I figured if my radio will do it why not set the servos up for it too.

I read that they "Y" adaptor that Tower Hobbies recomends is 21 inches overall. So I assume I'm safe to get two single extentions 21 inches long? I don't have the Acromaster yet so I don't know what the wire routing options will be.

Thanks,
Steve
Aug 03, 2009, 12:28 PM
Steve

The length of your leads all accords to what servo's you are going to use, Futaba and JR both put very short leads on their servo's compared to Multiplex and Hitec, if you tell us what servo's you intend to use we may be able to help? incidently don't use the Multiplex servo's if you are going to give you Acro any abuse, they don't last long.

Mike
Aug 03, 2009, 01:30 PM
Downtown Minneapolis

What an AWESOME plane!!

After having what I though was motor problems, it turns out that my ESC was the culprit. As this is my first plane other than flying a buddies Trojan, I learned a lot. The build was incredibly simple but probably won't use the gorilla glue again as it messed up a little of my paint job expanding out above the seam. Could not find welder glue at 4 different stores. Antsy to build another one though as a backup

Maiden flight today.

Setup throws for full 3d at 100% as the directions stated, then dropped the throws to 85% on Ail, 75% on Elv, 95% on Rudder. No expo on anything, but as a heli pilot I like the very sensitive controls. and Expo just feels weird to me. Disconnected. I like to fly in one mode only for all types of flying so not sure about setting a different D/R for max throws?

This plane flies amazing!! Perfect axial rolls. The plane just has no bad habits and everything just feels very neutral no matter what way its positioned. It just doesn't seem to care if its inverted sideways whatever, everything very predictable. I think this is the perfect plane even for a beginner since you can simply dial down the throws and add expo. When I was moving fast across the field and even will my high rates I decided to pitch it up full throw hard on the stick to test the pitch stall. WOW!! The thing just shot up vertical like IT WAS ON RAILS, like I was on the Sim or something. Very happy pilot!!! All the research paid off, this IS the best flying plane in its size, period. Between my Helis, Protos, Blade400, and my planes Acromaster, new Parkzone Suhkoi...I feel like I have such a wonderful fleet right now. Thanks everyone!!!
Aug 03, 2009, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldEagel
Steve

The length of your leads all accords to what servo's you are going to use, Futaba and JR both put very short leads on their servo's compared to Multiplex and Hitec, if you tell us what servo's you intend to use we may be able to help? incidently don't use the Multiplex servo's if you are going to give you Acro any abuse, they don't last long.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I was thinking about using Hitec HS-85MG and Hitec HS-65MG. These OK or should I go with a different brand/type? If these are OK what do you think about the lead length?

Thanks,
Steve
Last edited by Stevedots; Aug 03, 2009 at 09:43 PM.
Aug 03, 2009, 05:51 PM
Steve

Sorry just going out the door to catch a plane to Europe, will answer when I return, uless someone else can help in the meantime.

Mike
Aug 04, 2009, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAdam
Setup throws for full 3d at 100% as the directions stated, then dropped the throws to 85% on Ail, 75% on Elv, 95% on Rudder. No expo on anything, but as a heli pilot I like the very sensitive controls. and Expo just feels weird to me. Disconnected. I like to fly in one mode only for all types of flying so not sure about setting a different D/R for max throws?
Wow, no expo, you must have great control. Glad you're enjoying it.

Daniel
Aug 04, 2009, 09:07 PM
Downtown Minneapolis
Oh man, I just never new what a good flying plane felt like. My buddies Trojan seemed ok, nothing really to compare it to. But this Acromaster is just so darn awesome flying in comparison.

Switching out a 40amp esc for a 60amp Scorpion tonight. Ant to run a 12x6 prop and maybe even more if I can find what works best. I think my flying style is more similar to flying helis. A lot of thrust to enter a maneuver than ease back. Rather than just a speed demon.

And yeah expo just feels weird, Like there is a pause or something when I moved the sticks. I guess I want to feel my aircraft for what they are and make myself smooth rather than a radio help me to be smooth. I tried it with about 20% expo and had to quickly flick it off because it felt so disconnected. But if you fly helis or played a lot of video games in your life expo can be useful but unnecessary, even a hinderance if you get to used to it.
Aug 06, 2009, 09:12 AM
kdk
kdk
whats this goop people are talking about in this thread?
Aug 06, 2009, 02:28 PM
Downtown Minneapolis
What is "goop"?

Got some info to add to thread sir?

Quick Reply