Aug 12, 2008, 06:00 AM
Crash Master
General: All is fine except the HXT-900's on the tail... you'll strip them. Go with some 18g servos back there, like HS-81's.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2008, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
Touch n Go,

I love your paint scheme! Where in Singapore do you fly? I've visited there 4-5 times in the past and have only explored the flying fields on the west side of the island and they didn't have hard surface runways.

Alan
hey TexasFlyer
thank you for your compliment!. the colour scheme is my favourite so far, 1st time painting on elapor and i can say that elapor is great for painting!Normal spray can be used by applying thin coat of several layer.

I flew at the field located at Woodlands Drive 17, it has several field but there's an heli base nearby, have to be more careful when the helis are approaching.
Aug 12, 2008, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
Yes it does seem to have some wing rock in harriers etc, I've found by virtually constantly changing the throttle it helps, I'd like to say blipping the throttle but it's almost not that much as it really is a small amount of input that just seems to help to smooth it out.
Hi Witterings, the blipping of throttle does help in harrier. i'm still trying to get use to it as i always over blip resulting the plane going into a hover
Aug 12, 2008, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalbacardi
I've been browsing this thread, and I'm thinking about jumping into an acromaster, but what with the economy and all, money is a concern!

Servos
I have several HXT 900 9gram servos on hand, can I get away with using those all around? I've seen posts where people are using those on the ailerons, but haven't seen any reports of how/if they work on the rudder and tail. If these would be inadequate for the tail, is there a good no-name alternative to the Hitec HS-85?

Batteries
I also have several loong max / Zippy 3S 2250 20C lipos on hand, so the rest of the powertrain would have to take this into consideration.

Motor
It looks like the Turnigy 35-42D 1000kv motor is the most popular budget motor, any others I should consider?

ESC
Would a Turnigy 40A ESC be sufficient, or should I spring for the 60A ESC for extra "headroom"?

RX
Lastly, can I get away with a Spektrum AR6100 RX?
Hi there,my reccommendation:
Servo: HXT900 on ailerons is good, you need stronger servos on tail

Batt: 3s2200 is adequate, sometimes i use 1800 for 6min flying

Motor: Turnigy TR42-40B 900kv. this motor mounting fits the AM mount perfectly. I'm running 12x6 prop with this motor and i enjoy it.

ESC: any decent 40A will be enough. my motor draws 30A peak and i'm using the supersimple 50A from UH

RX: the AR6100 is definitely a good choice

hope this helps! =)
Aug 12, 2008, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch n Go
Hi there,my reccommendation:

RX: the AR6100 is definitely a good choice

hope this helps! =)
Yes it does, thanks! which makes for cleaner/easier wire routing, the AR6100 or AR6100e?
Aug 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
Sam Adams Fan
Everyone like pictures, Right?
Anyway, Here's my completed Acromaster.
No maiden report yet.

Gear used:
Torque 2814T/820 -Motor
Airboss 45 Elite -ESC
Master Airscrew 12x6 -prop
2x HS-65MG -Aileron Servos
2x HS-85MG -Elevator/Rudder Servos
Spektrum AR6200 -Reciever
Last edited by DG40; Jul 07, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Aug 14, 2008, 06:25 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Looks real good DG40. I'm sure your maiden will prove to be just as good. I recommend first flight on the low sport rate recommendations. Mine was far to sensitive for my liking at the higher rates.
Aug 17, 2008, 01:15 PM

Wheel trouble

Anyone have trouble with their wheels??? I droped mine in from 1 foot and one of the wheels broke apart. The tread broke down to the hub. I glued it back together with CA but it broke again. Now trying to fit some lite weight DuBro 2 1/4 inch wheels to the bird.

Great Paint job DG, any info on how you did it??

Randy
Aug 17, 2008, 03:05 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
No wheel problems on mine. I replaced them with light-weight regular (Dubro I think) wheels with plastic hubs before I even broke ground the first time. I had to push out the brass insert from the stock wheels and install them in the replacement wheels to fit the axle properly. Personally, I think the stock wheels are neat in idea, but lacking in functionality.
Aug 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
Retired USAF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
No wheel problems on mine. I replaced them with light-weight regular (Dubro I think) wheels with plastic hubs before I even broke ground the first time. I had to push out the brass insert from the stock wheels and install them in the replacement wheels to fit the axle properly. Personally, I think the stock wheels are neat in idea, but lacking in functionality.

That's exactly what I did as well...never even used the stock wheels.
Aug 17, 2008, 07:19 PM
Chuck it and see!
The stock wheels do work but only have a limited life. I fly mine from a paved strip (Military taxiway) and one of the wheels finally disintegrated. I glued temporarily, but intended to replace anyway.
Aug 17, 2008, 09:36 PM

Wheels

When I first started flying on grass, I tried many, many wheels. After posting a question elsewhere on RC Groups, I found that MPI (Maxx Products International) wheels are the best. I use 3 inch EPW300's on the Acromaster but found that the 2.5 inch EPW250's work well on other comparably sized planes. The latter is VERY light weight at 1.27 oz for the pair. Taxiing, take-offs, and landings are no issues anymore, though I still need to land with some power to keep from nosing over when the grass is really thick.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29.html
Aug 18, 2008, 01:12 AM

Winglet to help harrier stability?

I don't really know what they're called, but they look like a vertical stabilizer on the wings. An example would be the Enticement F3P from E-flite. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL1175 (I'm not talking about the speed brakes with a hole in it) If I glue some deprons on to the wings like on the F3P, would it help take out the wing rocking during harrier? I tired dialing in spoilerons, it didn't help that much, bliping the throttle made it worse for me.
Aug 18, 2008, 07:22 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I have been using those wheels for months and they work great on my ACRO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
When I first started flying on grass, I tried many, many wheels. After posting a question elsewhere on RC Groups, I found that MPI (Maxx Products International) wheels are the best. I use 3 inch EPW300's on the Acromaster but found that the 2.5 inch EPW250's work well on other comparably sized planes. The latter is VERY light weight at 1.27 oz for the pair. Taxiing, take-offs, and landings are no issues anymore, though I still need to land with some power to keep from nosing over when the grass is really thick.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29.html
Aug 18, 2008, 07:23 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Side Force Generators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
I don't really know what they're called, but they look like a vertical stabilizer on the wings. An example would be the Enticement F3P from E-flite. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL1175 (I'm not talking about the speed brakes with a hole in it) If I glue some deprons on to the wings like on the F3P, would it help take out the wing rocking during harrier? I tired dialing in spoilerons, it didn't help that much, bliping the throttle made it worse for me.

Quick Reply