Apr 16, 2007, 01:35 PM

this time in the right thread....

Construction thoughts...

Following my Easystar, Twinstar II, Scooter & Funjet, and encouraged by this thread, I've now just about finished my Acromaster. Thoughts & observations so far:

1. Having read various tales of weak front ends, I decided to glass the inside of the front end. (It was the warning addendum that came in the kit box that pushed me over the brink...). Used wing-skinning cloth resin - not too heavy.

2. I like the internal layout & design - fantastic 'straight through' duct for cooling.

3. Although there is lots of room, battery mounting will need a little thought. (i.e with so much space it would be a shame not to engineer an easy fit/remove setup).

4. Undercarriage is definitely a tad minimalist for my tastes (and landings). Will let it break then decide what to do then. Elected not to bother with the Spats since my field is grass (not crown green standard).

5. Instructions were good - but I'm confused about the bit where it tells you only to use cyano on the bottom of the rudder horn. i.e Why?

6. Steerable tailwheel seems a bit flimsy. Wire glued into foam not the best engineering solution...

7. Have gone for an AXI 2820/10, Enerland 20C 3300 LiPos and CC 60A controller. Servos are HS56MG in the wing, with HS225MG in the fuse (bit too big but were to hand). Will start with 11x5.5 APC.

8. While undeniably lightweight, I reckon Multiplex could do to improve on their control surface linkages. While I tolerated the flimsy wire on the smaller/lighter models, I feel something more substantial is appropriate for the Acromaster.

Weather is great here in the UK, so first flight is iminent.

Andy

(Gemini or Twister next? - decisions decisions!)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2007, 04:52 PM
Andy,

Experiences..........

1. Mine is un-reinforced with stock motor - absolutely no problems to date.

2. Good but noisy in the air.

3. Battery mounting as per kit instructions works fine.

4. Undercarriage is surprisingly robust, I will be surprised if you break it - ditto the spats.

5. Confused me as well.

6. Tailwheel has held up fine, however I did let some hard balsa reinforcement into the foam.

7. Can't comment as I'm using stock set-up with recommended Mpx servos.

8. Stock linkages have been fine however I was worried about them I have to admit.

Mike
Apr 16, 2007, 05:19 PM
Hangar 1

My AM build notes:

I have about a dozen flights on my AM, most of them in strong winds, springtime in Ontario, Canada ya know! No sign of the motor falling off. I hand launch 'cause I left the landing gear off, front and tail but did install the tailwheel bracket and then pinned it to the rudder to strengthen it. I stuck a length of packing tape to the bottom of the fuse covering the aerial to the tail. I softened the right and downthrust by 1/2 a turn and moved the 3s battery down the front vent almost as far as it will go. That AM is really squirrely if the GC is the least bit rearward. It porpoised and stalled enough to make level flight and landing a nightmare. I was up in a stiff wind with a 10x7.4 up front and it was fun to fly in low gear. Usually fly it with a 11x5.5 on a calmer day. About the "glue"; I used polyurethane glue to join the fuse halves after finding the CAed joints in my Easystar coming apart. Bit messier but welds the pieces together. My AM weighs 38 oz.
Apr 16, 2007, 10:33 PM
Aerodynamically challenged
Just maidened mine in about 15mph gusts. WOW! For a foamie it took the wind no problem. Had to do one go around due to bad gust on landing, other than that bobble, it flew very stable considering the wind. Didn't get much hovering in but the rolling harriers and tumbles were sweet! Flew great on 3s and ballistic on 4s! Insane power with the 4s packs. Noisy bugger in flight though. Getting the reported noise in flight probably from motor mount but it held up OK. Can't wait to try it out on a calmer day for some harriers and hovering. Will try to video soon.
Apr 17, 2007, 12:31 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I continue to fly my AM with more than 600 watts in an un-reinforced nose and haven't had any problems in several months of regular flying. I fly more of a pattern style with some freestyle maneuvers tossed in for good measure. My AM does most things well, but it absolutely excels at spins, blenders, and walls.

And like edfrules mentioned, my AM doesn't even acknowledge wind.

Pete
Apr 17, 2007, 01:51 AM
Aerodynamically challenged
I've had some experience with the ELAPOR material on the AM before, so I decided to add some glass to the inside nose area. I think I added about 15grms. Doesn't seem to matter with over 500watts. But I know my flying history all too well, I'll get stupid eventually and (over!)stress test the airframe, so may as well reinforce(as opposed to repair) ahead of time! Must be really insane power on 600watts! I still can't believe the foam spinner hasn't whipped off. Didn't really think it would hold on with friction fit, but it's still there after some hard walls and blenders. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
I continue to fly my AM with more than 600 watts in an un-reinforced nose and haven't had any problems in several months of regular flying. I fly more of a pattern style with some freestyle maneuvers tossed in for good measure. My AM does most things well, but it absolutely excels at spins, blenders, and walls.

And like edfrules mentioned, my AM doesn't even acknowledge wind.

Pete
Last edited by edfrules; Apr 17, 2007 at 02:12 AM.
Apr 17, 2007, 05:57 AM
I bought an AM when they came out last year, and looking at the instructions now I've built it the offset on the motor mount would have the motor pointing down/left when viewed from behind.

Shouldn't this be down right to offset torque roll?

I'm using an Axi 2826/8.

TIA
Last edited by Pedroski; Apr 17, 2007 at 06:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Apr 17, 2007, 07:22 AM
Retired USAF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroski
I bought an AM when they came out last year, and looking at the instructions now I've built it the offset on the motor mount would have the motor pointing down/left when viewed from behind.

Shouldn't this be down right to offset torque roll?

I'm using an Axi 2826/8.

TIA

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...49#post6445049
Apr 17, 2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks cynjon.

I went off the diagram. I guess my lack of experience (so far have an Easy Glider E, PZ P51, Hyperion SU31) and the down right thrust on my little SU31 (which may be to counter left yaw from another thread I'm reading in the 3D section https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=672804) has made me a little nervous.

Never flown anything with such a large and powerful motor so I'm just a little concerned I'm going to taxi 4 feet then open up and flip over lol
Last edited by Pedroski; Apr 17, 2007 at 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling as per usual
Apr 17, 2007, 08:29 AM
Flying Electric!
A little late but just started the build on my Acromaster,

Apr 17, 2007, 02:57 PM
Flying Electric!
I hope this has not been asked already, but here goes, it says in the instructions to use a total of 6 screws to hold in the front motor mount plate, however in mine it only has the two center screw holes drilled. The other surrounding 4 are not? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Apr 17, 2007, 03:00 PM
LKC
LKC
must have been a glitch !
The other 4 screws set the thrust angle of the motor.. It's in the instructions..
Apr 17, 2007, 03:15 PM
Flying Electric!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKC
The other 4 screws set the thrust angle of the motor.. It's in the instructions..
i just saw it, im a moron!
Apr 19, 2007, 07:03 AM
Flying Electric!
I have a few questions,
1) Will a single Thunder Power 2100 3S Lipo fly this using a AXI 2820/12 & 40 Amp Jeti ECS?
2) It seems heavy on the stock gear, anyone had good luck with the stock setup?
3) CG, 4 1/2 inches from LE root sound about right?
4) Thanks!

Chris
Apr 19, 2007, 07:24 AM
Team Hitec
I will have some vids of this awesome plane here soon!!

Quick Reply