Building a large Hawker Tempest Mk 5 - RC Groups
Feb 03, 2006, 11:42 AM
Build Log

Building a large Hawker Tempest Mk 5

Hi,

After having built a number of smaller s400 models, I thought it was time for something larger. A lot larger.

Enter the Hawker Tempest Mk 5 by englishman Brian Taylor!

Originally it was designed for a .60 two stroke and fixed gear with a 60" wingspan. Mine will be electrified, and have retracts

I have already started, but this will be a long term project so please have patience.

Thomas
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2006, 11:45 AM

Equipment

For the electrification I'm using

- AXI 4130/16
- Jeti 77 advance plus opto
- KoolFLight UBEC
- MaxAmps 6s2p 4200 mah (twin 3s2p's)
- APC 17x10E

The retracts are mechanical GP .60 units controlled by a Landtastic (servoslow) unit.

Thomas
Last edited by thomanie; Feb 03, 2006 at 11:51 AM.
Feb 03, 2006, 11:50 AM

Batteries

Here's the MaxAmp lipos and Y-harness. The Y-harness was build to eliminate the huge spark when connecting the batts and the ESC.

Discussion and details can be found here . Thanks to lynxman for leading me to the solution

A 100 ohm resistor (not mounted when the pic was taken) shorts the simple plug on the bottom. A couple of seconds after connecting the batts, the plug can be inserted.

Thomas
Feb 03, 2006, 11:58 AM

Fuselage

The fuselage is build as a sheet and truss structure with added formers and finally sheeting to the outside.

The rear truss part of the fuselage was build over the plans. The second fuselage side was built on top of the first, separated by some waxed paper. I had to move the position of the firewall forward to fit the AXI with the radial mount, so the 1/4" sheet was a bit longer than the original plans calls for.

Here's a few pictures.

Thomas
Feb 03, 2006, 12:04 PM
The center part of the fuse is then joined upside down on the workface, with the tail hangin off the end of the table.

A doubler was added to the forward part of the fuselage.

The center formers are squared using a carpenters angle.

Thomas
Feb 03, 2006, 12:08 PM

More truss...

The tail is then pulled together and crossmembers are added to complete the truss part of the fuselage.

To help build a square and true tail, it was built over a long straight line drawn on a long sheet of paper.

At this stage, a lot of clamps are needed.You can never have too many clamps. The picture shows why...

Thomas
Feb 03, 2006, 12:11 PM

Tank floor and wingdowel plate

There'll be no tank in this one, but the tankfloor still needs to be installed. Might give it some lightening holes later though.

The wingdowel plate is also installed, and clamped while the epoxy dries.

Thomas
Feb 03, 2006, 12:16 PM

Fibreglass cowl

I ordered a fibreglass cowl and canopy from Bob Holman plans. Bob offers great service!

I just had to see what it will look like

Thomas
Feb 03, 2006, 12:19 PM

Servorails

I mounted the servorails as far forward as possible in the assigned compartment. The Tempest has a rather short, although huge, nose and a long tail, so everything should go up front to get the CG right without ballast.

Thomas
Feb 03, 2006, 12:22 PM

Horizontal stabilizer

The horizontal stab is built as two halves over the plans, and then joined.

This is more or less where I'm at now. I'll post progress when it occurs.

Thomas
Feb 03, 2006, 12:24 PM

The definite source?

If you like Tempests, then go have a look at Christer Landbergs www.hawkertempest.se site. It is just awesome - with a wealth of information and pictures!

Thomas
Feb 03, 2006, 12:29 PM

Getting the retracts in

I had to redesign the wing to get the retracts in. They would not be a direct fit due to the location of the main spar in the wing. This is one of the drawbacks of using an old set of plans with modern equipment...

I've had a look at Taylors Hawker Typhoon plans, and the Top Flite Hawker Seafury plans, for different solutions to the problem. In the end I went for the TF solution - moving the spar forward of the retract units for the center section, and then angling the spar backwards for the outer panels. The spruce spar will be "capped" with a balsa stringer that will be planed to shape. There is also a rear spar, so the wing will be rigid enough.

But all this is getting ahead of myself...

Thomas
Feb 04, 2006, 06:09 AM

Elevators

The elevators are built around the hinges. The hinge is a 2mm inner pushrod snake with musicwire hingepin running the length of the elevator half. Take a look at the picture and you get the idea. The hingpoints are 1/8" ply slotted into the stab itself. Works like a charm and looks very scale.

When it comes to the acutal elevators I once again deviated a little from the plans. The plans call for 2 laminations of sold balsa sanded to shape for the elevators. I decided to use a 1/32 ply core, false ribs and then sheet it all with 1/32 balsa. This will hopefully give a lighter and more rigid elevator. The Tempest has sheeted elevators, so the ribs are there just to hold the sheeting.

When the elevators were built, but still not sheeted, I marked the required taper (see the last pic) using two T-pins and a straightedge. Flip out the razorplane and sanding block and have a go at it... In the end it looks very nice!

Thomas
Feb 04, 2006, 06:28 AM

Stab and elevators

The stab was slotted for the hingepins, and everything trialfitted to the rear of the fuselage. It's not glued yet, and the balsa tipblocks are not fitted yet.

Included a pic of my 30" Fw190 for size comparison with the stab. The Tempest if huge - at least for me

Thomas
Feb 04, 2006, 08:26 AM
Chris McHugh build a Tempest from Brian Taylor plans a number of years ago (5?). He used an Astro 25 on 20 round cells and a Superbox. I think it weighed about 3.5kg. Perhaps he'll chip in here with other details. It flew well. You should be able to drop a kilo between a lighter motor and LiPos.

Martin