Feb 03, 2006, 02:41 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

By way of introduction, a few Mini Dragonfly Mods

I've been lurking in this forum for quite a while now; having recently purchased a Mini Dragonfly I thought this might be a good time to contribute. I've been flying/building model airplanes for 7 or eight years, but never played with helis. I've had this thing for a couple of weeks now, but with school and the rest I haven't got as much flying in as I would like (though perhaps more than I should have).

In any case, I love this little thing. It can take an incredible beating. Well, all except the landing gear. Based on what I read here on the board I decided to ditch the Nimh's and went with a 1300mah 2s lipo. I ditched the GWS transmitter for my computer radio. After a particularly violent encounter with a fence post I decided to make some mods. First I was sick of fiddling with the landing gear after every bump. So I got a set of T-Rex landing skids for $7.99. The new skids are attached in the same manner that the old ones were, but there is no fiddly battery rack-or pieces of rubber to come loose. Since the heli sat lower I decided to cut off the dorky looking tail support that comes with the dragonfly and make my own out of music wire. Finally I wanted to be able to mount the canopy with the Lipo's attached. After a few paper patterns cut from my CAD model I cut what you see out of aluminum. So far I'm pretty happy with it, the canopy fits on and the CG is right where it should be. Probably going to go through a few more revisions as I have time. After all the mods the AUW is 294g. Painting the canopy is next.

Anyways, I'm having fun. I love the challenge and the freedom of being able to fly whenever I want Thanks for all the info that you guys have provided already.

Derek
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2006, 12:36 PM
CRAZY FOR HELIS
Nice mod. Are you going to mod the head next? I'm getting terrible wobble from my stock configuration.
Feb 03, 2006, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, I don't plan on modding the head unless I have too. At this point I haven't had any bad wobbling. If it starts to wobble regularily I just tighten the screws on the blades a bit and it seems to go away. Knock on wood......

Derek
Feb 03, 2006, 02:36 PM
Its all fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrr
Nice mod. Are you going to mod the head next? I'm getting terrible wobble from my stock configuration.
Set the blades slightly ahead of straight across - line up the back corners inline with the centre of the head. Tighten up the blades just tight enough that they don't flop if you tilt the heli sideways in your hand. Make sure both blades are tightened the same amount.

You won't believe the difference!

Quick Reply