Spirit Elite ARF - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 15, 2002, 10:55 AM
Everyday normal guy.
Question

Spirit Elite ARF

Today I received my Great Planes Spirit Elite ARF from Tower Hobbies. The quality of this ARF seems to be good. Looks like the covering needs to be tightened up a bit with a heat gun or iron.

This will be my first "full house" sailplane. Anyone out there have any experience with this sailplane? If so, please share your experiences with assembly, radio setup and flying.

Don

to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2002, 02:14 AM
I will start the feedback by relaying what I've heard others say of this plane; I admit I don't own one myself. They do ok on the slope, but are quite heavy for thermal use compared to competitive designs. I believe these planes are said to wiegh in at around 40 ounces, which would suggest that...

Rick
Jun 17, 2002, 05:46 AM
IHi.

I don't have one, but I know a couple of people who do. Take a look at this building tip posted on the Charles River Radio Controllers' Web site, under Kit Modifications.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...spiritmods.htm
Jun 17, 2002, 05:51 AM
IHi.

I don't have one, but I know a couple of people who do. Take a look at this building tip posted on the Charles River Radio Controllers' Web site, under Kit Modifications.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...spiritmods.htm
Jun 17, 2002, 02:50 PM
Just a note about the CRRC site and the Spirit. I have emailed some of the guys there and they tell me that the tips were not meant for the Spirit Elite. They were for the the standard Spirits and Arf's. He didn't seem to think that they would do too much for the Elite.
BTW...I've got one in the building process. Wish they would sell the glass fuse by itself! I like the way it looks over the wood fuse.
Let us know how it flies!
Jun 17, 2002, 04:34 PM
Everyday normal guy.
Quote:
Originally posted by KevinW
Wish they would sell the glass fuse by itself!
They do sell it... it's Part Number: GPMA1995

Don
Jun 18, 2002, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cohn

They do sell it... it's Part Number: GPMA1995

Don,
Thanks! The last time I checked, they weren't offering it yet. I'll have to get one!

Kevin
Jun 18, 2002, 09:12 AM
Everyday normal guy.

Hey Kevin!

What servos are you going to use?

I am considering the Hitec HS-85BB's all the way around. I was hoping that I wouldn't need the metal gears. What do you think?

Don
Jun 18, 2002, 03:12 PM
Don,
I was thinking about using the HS-81's. There's a slight weight savings and I think they should be strong enough for the job. I don't think I'll go with the metal gears on this one... I have flown other 2m types and have been pretty rough on them and they did fine with the nylon gears.
Keep me up to date on how you're doing! I'd be interested in seeing some pics!!
BTW, what radio are you using? I have a Flash 5 that I like alot, so I'll be using that in it.

Kevin
Jun 18, 2002, 05:53 PM
As a beginning glider guider, I flew a Spectra (motorized version) which weighed in at 52 oz at an altitude of about 6000 feet. Flew very nice and handled well (except under power). Didnt' have any trouble thermalling it flight times of 20 - 48 minutes easily (quit at 48 minutes cause of lower back problems).

It will fly even at 40 oz. Tell the guys that insist you have to have a 10 oz, 3-meter to thermal well, to go jump of a slope.
Jun 19, 2002, 09:39 AM
aka: Dances with Buzzards
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cohn

I am considering the Hitec HS-85BB's all the way around. I was hoping that I wouldn't need the metal gears.

Don
A suggestion here would be the JR-341 servo. Lightweight but good torque. The plastic gears are strong enough as I have used them on my 2-meter ship for years (flaps & elevator). In the event you do strip one they are repairable in about two minutes as the same two gears break under extreame loads. The gear sets come two to a package for about $6.00. You may have to solder your connector of choice to match the radio but this is a good servo for your plane. Good luck........
Jun 20, 2002, 12:36 AM
Everyday normal guy.
Quote:
Originally posted by culiv
Tell the guys that insist you have to have a 10 oz, 3-meter to thermal well, to go jump of a slope.
Ha! Right on....Besides, I've always believed that it's a poor musician that blames his instrument.

Cheers,

Don
Jun 21, 2002, 06:42 AM
allergic to castrol oil

we have fun

i think the plane your flying is in a great category,,its full house so you can learn a lot about all its features and it does quite well also,,in response to the 3m ships;;;i seen a guy total one the other day! im just guessing but he wasnt having fun,,dont get me wrong ,i love the big birds but to get that level of performance there is always a trade off!!enjoy that little plane and dont worry what the big guys say,there just trying to justify the money they have spent.
we all know that real good thermalling happens in real gliders...full scale!! my 2 cents ramair
Jun 21, 2002, 08:33 AM
Don,
Ya got any pics of your Spirit yet?
Jun 21, 2002, 05:16 PM
Everyday normal guy.

Got Pix

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinW
Don,
Ya got any pics of your Spirit yet?
I haven't started building yet. I will order servos next week. I decided on HS-81BB's with HS-81MG's for the flaps. So the only pic I have, so far, is this one:

Don